Welcome to all the new members here.

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Post by Dr. NO »

2knees wrote:
Dr. NO wrote:I went to East Hartford . :evil:

well, there is the first problem right there.
Yeah, but my other choice was Norwich. So, which way do ya go? Ah, CT another Sociolist State where we pay and then we pay.
MUST STOP POSTING ! MUST STOP POSTING !

Shut up and Ski!

Why's Everybody Always Pickin on Me?
Cityskier
Wanted Poster

Post by Cityskier »

Dr. NO wrote:I went to a rental place in East Hartford the other day. They talked to me about what I wanted and all the other BS, then gave me the rental application papers. GEEZ, I had to ASK for the English version. WTF is it with this country? Seems everyone gets treated special except the majority of us that were born here.

We need an English is our National Language Ammendment. :evil:

(note: not that I have a clue on how to use it)

Just because your ancestors caught an earlier ride to the good old USA and you had the good fortune of being born here you dare to question "WTF is with this country?"????

People with this crazy sense of entitlement are what is wrong with this country. People who have lost sight that we are reaping the benefits of a freedom that allowed imigrants are what is wrong with this country.

What are you...Cherokee? Mohawk? Mohegan? I didn't think so.

If you ask me, I think we all get treated pretty damn special every day we wake up in The Land of Plenty. If your only problem is you received a rental application in a language you are too ignorant to understand then who the f*** really cares?
Cityskier
Wanted Poster

Post by Cityskier »

Dr. NO wrote:I went to a rental place in East Hartford the other day. They talked to me about what I wanted and all the other BS, then gave me the rental application papers. GEEZ, I had to ASK for the English version. WTF is it with this country? Seems everyone gets treated special except the majority of us that were born here.

Just because your ancestors caught an earlier ride to the good old USA and you had the good fortune of being born here you dare to question "WTF is with this country?"????

People with this crazy sense of entitlement are what is wrong with this country. People who have lost sight that we are reaping the benefits of a freedom that allowed imigrants are what is wrong with this country.

If you ask me, I think we all get treated pretty damn special every day we wake up in The Land of Plenty. If your only problem is you received a rental application in a language you are too ignorant to understand then who the f*** really cares?
Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Post by Dr. NO »

Cityskier wrote:

The SPOKEN language of this country has been ENGLISH. Our government operates on English. until recently, Business ran on English. It is not an entitlement it is a necessity to survive, unless you are a minority, especially within the Latino community. My family learned the language. Your family learned the language. I see no problem with a NATIONAL language.

You think we are bad? Try France where they force FRENCH into the UN. Everything is translated to English and French. How about Japan? yeah, the require English as a second language if you want to advance, but you better dam well read write and speak Japanese.

Make English the NATIONAL LANGUAGE and stop with this bi lingual money drain that has failed.
MUST STOP POSTING ! MUST STOP POSTING !

Shut up and Ski!

Why's Everybody Always Pickin on Me?
2pink1stink
Slalom Racer

Post by 2pink1stink »

Dr. NO wrote:

You think we are bad? Try France where they force FRENCH into the UN. Everything is translated to English and French. .
why do so many right-wing nut job americans hate france so much? does it really go all the way back to world war 2?
andyzee
Level 10K poster

Post by andyzee »

Cityskier wrote:

Cityskier
No disrespect here, but I have to agree with Dr.No. He wasn't putting anyone down, just stating that we should have a national language. I have to agree and I am an immigrant. Not to say that people can't speak other languages, but the way things have been going it could be confusing. I'm Polish, not Spanish, if a rental form is given in Spanish, then damn, why not Polish. In that case we might as well go with Japanese, Chinese, Russian, French etc...... I do think we need some consistency here.
Admins, I respectfully request that you do not delete this post or me, thank you.

Andyzone.com
BigKahuna13
Site Admin

Post by BigKahuna13 »

Dr. NO wrote:
Cityskier wrote:

The SPOKEN language of this country has been ENGLISH. Our government operates on English. until recently, Business ran on English. It is not an entitlement it is a necessity to survive, unless you are a minority, especially within the Latino community. My family learned the language. Your family learned the language. I see no problem with a NATIONAL language.

You think we are bad? Try France where they force FRENCH into the UN. Everything is translated to English and French. How about Japan? yeah, the require English as a second language if you want to advance, but you better dam well read write and speak Japanese.

Make English the NATIONAL LANGUAGE and stop with this bi lingual money drain that has failed.
You're right, immigrants do a disservice to themselves by not learning the language. That said, you can't compare you're learning the language to an immigrants. With few exceptions English is most of our's first language. There is a world of difference between learning a language as a child and learning one as a adult (it's light years harder for an adult). I'd also suggest that being able to fill out forms and read wasn't nearly as important 100 years ago as it is today.

Even with a national language as a practical matter, we'd be stupid to expect most, or even many adult immigrants to pick up the language quickly. I'd hazard a guess that it'd take a couple of years for most adult immigrants to become functionally literate. What do we do with them in the meantime?

Don't know about France, but Japan's not a fair comparison. 99.9% of the residents are ethnic Japanese. They never had the multi-language issues that we do. And take my word for it, most of 'em - even with 4 or 5 years of mandatory English schooling - suck at English.

We're a multi-cultural nation. Might as well get used to it.
What is not possible is not to choose. ~Jean-Paul Sartre

BrockVond
Powderhound

Post by BrockVond »

2pink1stink wrote:
Dr. NO wrote: You think we are bad? Try France where they force FRENCH into the UN. Everything is translated to English and French. .
why do so many right-wing nut job americans hate france so much? does it really go all the way back to world war 2?
as a left-wing nut job american, I resent that.

Q. How do you say "Give me liberty or give me death!" in French?
A. I give up.

Q. How many Frenchmen does it take to defend Paris?
A. Nobody knows. It's never been tried.

Q. What do you call 100,000 Frenchmen with their hands up?
A. The French Army.

Q. Why was the Chunnel built under the English Channel?
A. So the French government could to flee to London.

Q: Did you hear about the new French tanks?
A: They have 5 gears...4 in reverse, and one forward gear just in case they're attacked from behind!

Q: Why don't they have fireworks at Euro Disney?
A: Because every time they shoot them off, the French try to surrender.

Q: Why do they have trees in Paris?
A: So the Germans can march in the shade instead of the sun

Q: Why is good to be French?
A: You can surrender at the beginning of the war, and US will win it for you.

Q: What is the first thing you are taught when joining the French army?
A: To say "I surrender" in German

Q: Why was Jesus not born in France?
A: Because they couldn’t find three wise men or a virgin.

Q: Did you hear about France's new weapons contracts?
A: They gave one to Ace Hardware to produce 250,000 wood sticks...they are still looking for a company to produce 250,000 little white flags.

Q: Where are the brave French soldiers buried?
A: There aren't any so they had to bury some of ours on their soil.
2pink1stink
Slalom Racer

Post by 2pink1stink »

BrockVond wrote:
2pink1stink wrote:
Dr. NO wrote: You think we are bad? Try France where they force FRENCH into the UN. Everything is translated to English and French. .
as a left-wing nut job american, I resent that.

Q. How do you say "Give me liberty or give me death!" in French?
A. I give up.

Q. How many Frenchmen does it take to defend Paris?
A. Nobody knows. It's never been tried.

Q. What do you call 100,000 Frenchmen with their hands up?
A. The French Army.

Q. Why was the Chunnel built under the English Channel?
A. So the French government could to flee to London.

Q: Did you hear about the new French tanks?
A: They have 5 gears...4 in reverse, and one forward gear just in case they're attacked from behind!

Q: Why don't they have fireworks at Euro Disney?
A: Because every time they shoot them off, the French try to surrender.

Q: Why do they have trees in Paris?
A: So the Germans can march in the shade instead of the sun

Q: Why is good to be French?
A: You can surrender at the beginning of the war, and US will win it for you.

Q: What is the first thing you are taught when joining the French army?
A: To say "I surrender" in German

Q: Why was Jesus not born in France?
A: Because they couldn’t find three wise men or a virgin.

Q: Did you hear about France's new weapons contracts?
A: They gave one to Ace Hardware to produce 250,000 wood sticks...they are still looking for a company to produce 250,000 little white flags.

Q: Where are the brave French soldiers buried?
A: There aren't any so they had to bury some of ours on their soil.
wow dood. it must of been SO HARD fighting in World War 2 with all those frenchies surrending left and right.

how did you do it?
Bling Skier
Postinator

Post by Bling Skier »

2pink1stink wrote:
Dr. NO wrote:

You think we are bad? Try France where they force FRENCH into the UN. Everything is translated to English and French. .
FYI Dummy, EVERY one hates the French...get with the program dude!
Geoff the sound a cat make as it coughs up a hairball.
2pink1stink
Slalom Racer

Post by 2pink1stink »

Bling Skier wrote:
2pink1stink wrote:
Dr. NO wrote:

FYI Dummy, EVERY one hates the French...get with the program dude!
i must of missed the memo.

do you think you could make me a copy?
Bling Skier
Postinator

Post by Bling Skier »

The thing i find intrestring is the Language of the "Buisness World" is?

Thats right Engrish! yo.
Geoff the sound a cat make as it coughs up a hairball.
BrockVond
Powderhound

Post by BrockVond »

2pink1stink wrote:
wow dood. it must of been SO HARD fighting in World War 2 with all those frenchies surrending left and right.

how did you do it?
f u french scumbag. I lost two uncles fighting for you cowards.
2pink1stink
Slalom Racer

Post by 2pink1stink »

BrockVond wrote:
2pink1stink wrote:

how did you do it?
f u french scumbag. I lost two uncles fighting for you cowards.
good. i hope they died a slow painful death.
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

BigKahuna13 wrote: You're right, immigrants do a disservice to themselves by not learning the language. That said, you can't compare you're learning the language to an immigrants. With few exceptions English is most of our's first language. There is a world of difference between learning a language as a child and learning one as a adult (it's light years harder for an adult). I'd also suggest that being able to fill out forms and read wasn't nearly as important 100 years ago as it is today.

Even with a national language as a practical matter, we'd be stupid to expect most, or even many adult immigrants to pick up the language quickly. I'd hazard a guess that it'd take a couple of years for most adult immigrants to become functionally literate. What do we do with them in the meantime?

Don't know about France, but Japan's not a fair comparison. 99.9% of the residents are ethnic Japanese. They never had the multi-language issues that we do. And take my word for it, most of 'em - even with 4 or 5 years of mandatory English schooling - suck at English.

We're a multi-cultural nation. Might as well get used to it.
Kahuna is right in that older immigrants have a hard time picking up the language. My mom was a prime example - she tried but often she failed to make herself understood. When there were papers to be filled out she called on her children to translate them for her. As an immigrant myself and as I have stated previously it is better not to cater to immigrants in their own language because by doing so they will never learn the language properly. Part of the problem with my mom was that she lived in an Italian neighborhood where the grocery store, the butcher, the beauty shop, the bakery, the vegetable store, etc. were all run by Italians and she could speak in her own language and be understood. I feel especially strong about not throwing children directly into English classes. I survived just fine - I only lost about 1 year of the English language and social studies but I caught up quickly once I knew the language well.