Closing Skyship

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Closing Skyship

Post by hillbangin »

It'll never happen - butt.........

With the new village , the new parking lots, and the new development at Bear - I'm thinking the Skyship is going the way of the Northeast passage.

It was a great idea at the time - but it's time has passed.

They could run a HSQ from Rt 4 to Needles without all the headache. The weather down there does not warrant a box. It's out of the wind so it would never be on wind hold. And the box to the top of Sky Hawk adds nothing......

Just a thought...........

What's the cost difference between fixing the Skyship and replacing it with a high speed lift?
snoloco
Tree Psycho

Re: Closing Skyship

Post by snoloco »

It's not going anywhere. It's a critical entry point, especially with the village. They should overhaul it like they did with K1.
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Post by hillbangin »

snoloco wrote: Feb 12th, '24, 20:45 It's not going anywhere. It's a critical entry point, especially with the village. They should overhaul it like they did with K1.
How many cars there on the busiest Saturday? and there are only 8 busy Saturdays...........
Killington_Lover
Slalom Racer

Post by Killington_Lover »

hillbangin wrote: Feb 12th, '24, 20:49
snoloco wrote: Feb 12th, '24, 20:45 It's not going anywhere. It's a critical entry point, especially with the village. They should overhaul it like they did with K1.
How many cars there on the busiest Saturday? and there are only 8 busy Saturdays...........
Parking is literally packed by 930-10 when we show up Saturdays and end up parking in a relatively empty bear lot…
Ski It If You Can!..
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

hillbangin wrote: Feb 12th, '24, 20:49
The last few Saturdays the skyeship lots have been full with cars parking along the road as well.
wtf021
Blue Chatterbox

Post by wtf021 »

The lot on the other side of Rt 4 is half full on most Fridays.
jimmywilson69
Poster Child Poster

Post by jimmywilson69 »

This place amazes me sometimes...

Not a in a good way.

Zero chance they mothball a major access point. Even if snow making becomes unviable down there they could still upload and download from that parking lot
2023-2024

Ski Visits in PA
Roundtop: 12/22,12/23, 1/8, 1/13, 1/14, 1/17 LR, 1/18 LR, 1/19, 1/20, 1/21, 1//22 LR, 1/23 LR, 1/26, 1/29 LR, 2/2 LR, 2/3, 2/4, 2/7 LR, 2/8, 2/9, 2/10, 2/11, 2/15, 2/16 LR, 2/17, 2/18, 2/19 LR, 2/21 LR, 3/8 LR, 3/9, 3/10

Ski Visits in VT
Okemo: 12/8, 2/29, 3/1, 3/2, 3/18
Stowe: 12/9
Killington: 12/10, 2/25, 2/26, 2/27, 3/16, 3/17

Ski Visits in NY
Hunter: 3/15

Total Ski Visits 44

LR = Lunch Runs
newpylong1
Poster Child Poster

Post by newpylong1 »

Regular weekdays they are into the first row across Route 4. By Friday the other side of Route 4 is half full, weekends they're parking on the road. Meanwhile Bear is only 3/4 full except for BMMC. The gondy isn't going anywhere, it can be refurbished entirely for the cost of a Route 4 to Northbrook HSQ with little to no permitting.

Also what happens when a HSQ starts puking out people at Northbrook because it doesn't continue to Skye Peak? That's now a 2 seat ride to go anywhere whatsoever. All the pressure is on the Needles lift and snail. Not a good idea.

The Skyeship is a good solution, its just long overdue for some love. Infact, if and when snowmaking capacity is ever improved in a meaningful way, I would follow Pres Smith's vision and make snow down into Touchdown/old Juggernaut like they intended when they installed snowmaking on that and 4 mile. This will offer two routes down there because GE sees so much traffic near the bottom it's becoming a cluster f*ck of epic proportions. Now that Peak 2 Creek is advertised people are making runs down there to ride back up, not just go back to their car. I'm fairly blown away that management considers that last stretch of GE acceptable (safe) with the traffic it gets.
Last edited by newpylong1 on Feb 13th, '24, 08:57, edited 1 time in total.
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Post by hillbangin »

jimmywilson69 wrote: Feb 13th, '24, 06:12 This place amazes me sometimes...

Not a in a good way.

Zero chance they mothball a major access point. Even if snow making becomes unviable down there they could still upload and download from that parking lot
So a $10M refurb makes sense to get 500 people up the hill? When the Bear lot is empty.

Asking for a friend......

It would be cheaper to run buses from those lots - and put the money into the rest of the hill.
newpylong1
Poster Child Poster

Post by newpylong1 »

Yes, it does make sense and it's far more than 500 people. Typical K Zone opinion: if you don't use it it's unnecessary.
easyrider16
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by easyrider16 »

I think advanced skiers tend to underestimate how many people do that peak to creek run. Go to Skyship base lodge on a busy Saturday from 10 to 2pm and it's close to a 30 min wait. Seems to me that lift is very heavily used.
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

If K closed skyeship they couldn't claim most vert in the East. I can't see that happening. And there are many more than 500 people using it. Closing lower skyeship would be an extremely foolish decision.
ozzy
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by ozzy »

Imo, the condition of the Northbrook storage building should be addressed. That thing looks terrible coming up stage 1.
Huge pieces of siding mising as well as soffits and fascias.
I'm not expecting it to look perfect or even far from, but it shouldn't look like it's one moderate gust away from collapsing.
skiskee8 wrote:Skiing in powder sucks. It's so much more work, and you can't go as fast.
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Post by hillbangin »

newpylong1 wrote: Feb 13th, '24, 08:57 Yes, it does make sense and it's far more than 500 people. Typical K Zone opinion: if you don't use it it's unnecessary.
I used to use it a lot - now that it's broken down I drive to Bear on Saturday.

Between the stops and starts - and the loading every other box - it's an hour run down there.......

K is a business - they can't fix everything - all about priorities and Return on Investment.
MrsG
Whipping Post

Post by MrsG »

ozzy wrote: Feb 13th, '24, 09:19 Imo, the condition of the Northbrook storage building should be addressed. That thing looks terrible coming up stage 1.
Huge pieces of siding mising as well as soffits and fascias.
I'm not expecting it to look perfect or even far from, but it shouldn't look like it's one moderate gust away from collapsing.
Leave the maroon color, paint the rest of the storage building green, and it almost maches other newer buildings at K - it really is ugly :-o