Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

skiadikt
Level 10K poster

mike on the snowmaking plan

Post by skiadikt »

figured it deserved it's own thread. from killington locals:

Mike Solimano

It is always interesting to listen to all the theories on various topics in this forum. In terms of snowmaking and specifically snowmaking on Superstar, here is the answer:
1. The Superstar chair has been discussed as our next replacement but it is not happening this spring – therefore – has no impact on snowmaking.
2. We made a substantial amount of snow on Superstar before the most recent warm up and plan to start making snow very soon on it again.
3. We are not cutting back on snowmaking (as our system is at max capacity right now), we are just spreading out our resources around the mountain to make sure we have enough snow in the right places for the next few months of skiing.
4. We have detailed reports from our trail mapping that show us where we have enough snow and where we need more snow.
A. We are currently using those maps to drive the snowmaking plan. As a result, we are making snow currently on Great Northern to Rime, Bear Trax below Launchpad, Cruise Control, Snowshed trail and a few others. You may not think we need snow on these trails, but the radar tells us differently!
B. Once we have re-enforced these areas, we will then move to Outer Limits on Friday night for skiing Saturday. Also Friday night and through the weekend we will be making snow on Superstar and other spring trails.
C. We plan to keep making snow as long as it is cold.
I hope that this high-level plan helps give you all some insight into the snowmaking plan moving forward.
I love the passion that our community has for skiing!
Mike
spoiled South American skiin' whore
newpylong1
Poster Child Poster

Re: mike on the snowmaking plan

Post by newpylong1 »

Thanks for posting. They are also hitting Lower Skyeburst pretty good and they top dressed Snowshed skier's right today.

No Upper WF just seems so odd to me however you slice it. I think they are just trying to offer a decent experience for President's week because everything is just coral reef right now. Kinda hard to blame them...
twilkas
Tree Psycho

Post by twilkas »

Skiadikt, was that a synopsis of your own from this vid or did you get direct communication from mike s? seems a timely and sincere effort( to me anyway):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ug960VjYYX4
(spanky, used the link without tracking, hope I did correctly)
Big Bob
Postinator

Post by Big Bob »

Video was on this weeks drift e mail. I just got it.
2 hours and 10-minute drive to K
2023/2024 Ski Days: 33 days for the season
Killington: 12/14, 1/4, 1/9, 1/11, 1/17, 1/23, 1/31, 2/5, 2/20, 2/26, 3/4, 3/20, 3/25, 4/2, 4/5
Loon: 11/29, 12/8, 12/21, 1/8, 1/19, 1/22,1/30, 2/7, 2/15, 3/1, 3/8, 3/22, 4/14
Sunday River: 3/12
Sugarloaf: 3/13, 3/14
Cannon:1/15, 2/22
spanky
Site Admin

Post by spanky »

twilkas wrote: Feb 15th, '24, 18:01 Skiadikt, was that a synopsis of your own from this vid or did you get direct communication from mike s? seems a timely and sincere effort( to me anyway):
:like
Never argue with idiots. They will bring you down to their level, then overwhelm you with their experience.

"I have noticed that when you post, you often say more about yourself than the topic you chose to speak about." -The Suit
spanky
Site Admin

mike on the snowmaking plan

Post by spanky »

mike wrote: 1. The Superstar chair has been discussed as our next replacement but it is not happening this spring – therefore – has no impact on snowmaking.
If superstar is the next chair to be replaced and it is not this year, does that mean there are no new chairs this year? Or, is superstar replacement deferred in favor of some other lift replacement/refurbishment?
Never argue with idiots. They will bring you down to their level, then overwhelm you with their experience.

"I have noticed that when you post, you often say more about yourself than the topic you chose to speak about." -The Suit
Mistergiff
Black Carver

Post by Mistergiff »

:roll:
spanky wrote: Feb 15th, '24, 20:33
mike wrote: 1. The Superstar chair has been discussed as our next replacement but it is not happening this spring – therefore – has no impact on snowmaking.
If superstar is the next chair to be replaced and it is not this year, does that mean there are no new chairs this year? Or, is superstar replacement deferred in favor of some other lift replacement/refurbishment?
Hopefully it's deferred and a refurbishment of Skyeship is on tap.
eagle628
Green Skidder

Post by eagle628 »

Unless they have something signed already that's been kept completely quiet I would think it's too late at this point to order anything for installation this summer.
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

twilkas wrote: Feb 15th, '24, 18:01 Skiadikt, was that a synopsis of your own from this vid or did you get direct communication from mike s? seems a timely and sincere effort( to me anyway):
no. that was a post he made on the killington locals facebook page. thanks for the video link. good to see him address these issues.
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

spanky wrote: Feb 15th, '24, 20:33
not sure but wondering if the superstar postponement is due to the budget problems. would doubt they'll be any new chairs but hopefully there's at least some maintenance on the skyeship. doubt we'll see a $10 mil overall this year.
newpylong1
Poster Child Poster

Post by newpylong1 »

As long term passholders I don't think it's unfair for one of you folks to ask him about this issue very bluntly. Don't storm his office obviously but any other forum or occasion where he puts himself in front of the public. It's a very important issue.
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

Most here would agree that SS replacement is not the most pressing need for Killington right now. However, I’m sure it is high on the list for those whom the World Cup is paramount. I’d love to believe that it is being deferred in favor of more critical infrastructure issues, but that would go against experience.
Downdraft
Blue Chatterbox

Post by Downdraft »

eagle628 wrote: Feb 15th, '24, 23:35 Unless they have something signed already that's been kept completely quiet I would think it's too late at this point to order anything for installation this summer.
This. Way too late now for anything. Any new lift install has the details, payment and what not figured out by usually November prior at latest.
Big Bob
Postinator

Post by Big Bob »

rogman wrote: Feb 16th, '24, 08:30 Most here would agree that SS replacement is not the most pressing need for Killington right now. However, I’m sure it is high on the list for those whom the World Cup is paramount. I’d love to believe that it is being deferred in favor of more critical infrastructure issues, but that would go against experience.
None of us work in Killington's lift maintance department, so there may be issues with this lift we are unawhare of. It is a cobbled together frankin lift with lots of hours on it. Perhaps the insurance company is requireing a replacement soon.
2 hours and 10-minute drive to K
2023/2024 Ski Days: 33 days for the season
Killington: 12/14, 1/4, 1/9, 1/11, 1/17, 1/23, 1/31, 2/5, 2/20, 2/26, 3/4, 3/20, 3/25, 4/2, 4/5
Loon: 11/29, 12/8, 12/21, 1/8, 1/19, 1/22,1/30, 2/7, 2/15, 3/1, 3/8, 3/22, 4/14
Sunday River: 3/12
Sugarloaf: 3/13, 3/14
Cannon:1/15, 2/22
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

I put my money on FIS is requiring a replacement soon, not insurance.