mike on the snowmaking plan

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

newpylong1
Poster Child Poster

Re: mike on the snowmaking plan

Post by newpylong1 »

Maybe they can pay to replace it then. For the average customer, I think the current lift provides reliable/adequate service?
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

newpylong1 wrote: Feb 16th, '24, 10:29 Maybe they can pay to replace it then. For the average customer, I think the current lift provides reliable/adequate service?
Agreed on that, superstar should be 3 or 4 on the list, not 1.
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

Bit of column A and Column B. FIS wants a Superstar lift that doesn’t cross the race trail, and it’s old, parts are hard to get, etc.; perhaps it IS the biggest maintenance issue at Killington. IDK. We can certainly go another few years without overhauling ramshackle jury-rigged jalopy of a lift called Skyeship. /s
Last edited by rogman on Feb 16th, '24, 10:40, edited 1 time in total.
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

newpylong1 wrote: Feb 16th, '24, 10:29 Maybe they can pay to replace it then. For the average customer, I think the current lift provides reliable/adequate service?
It's been much more reliable than some. Throw some new paint and seat cushions on that bitch and let her ride for a few more years...
ImageImageImageImage
Downdraft
Blue Chatterbox

Post by Downdraft »

daytripper wrote: Feb 16th, '24, 09:53 I put my money on FIS is requiring a replacement soon, not insurance.
Insurance has no say in replacements. They won’t make you replace anything. They don’t care, if it passes state inspection and their 3rd party they are fine. If it fails, they are also fine, fix what is needed to comply or don’t. The insurance company doesn’t care if half your lifts don’t run.

FIS also probably isn’t really a factor. I’ve never heard of anything lift related brought up in FIS or Olympic talks. Sure it would suck to have that lift go down during World Cup weekend but it’s not a make or break thing to host an event. Technically K1 is a backup for that same terrain anyway.

Also I’m pretty sure Killington is self insured
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

Downdraft wrote: Feb 16th, '24, 11:27
daytripper wrote: Feb 16th, '24, 09:53 I put my money on FIS is requiring a replacement soon, not insurance.
Insurance has no say in replacements. They won’t make you replace anything. They don’t care, if it passes state inspection and their 3rd party they are fine. If it fails, they are also fine, fix what is needed to comply or don’t. The insurance company doesn’t care if half your lifts don’t run.

FIS also probably isn’t really a factor. I’ve never heard of anything lift related brought up in FIS or Olympic talks. Sure it would suck to have that lift go down during World Cup weekend but it’s not a make or break thing to host an event. Technically K1 is a backup for that same terrain anyway.

Also I’m pretty sure Killington is self insured
FIS does not like lifts that cross the trail that the race is on.
newpylong1
Poster Child Poster

Post by newpylong1 »

Yet they have allowed the race to occur for 7? years now. The tower issue is not as big of a deal when hosting non-speed events.

There is no real great alternative to get the SS lift off the trail entirely. If they move it closer to the lodge that would involve massive tree cutting, always fun in VT. If they run up the other side there isn't anywhere near as much cutting but then the snowmaking infrastructure is on the opposite side and would plaster the lift. You can't move the snowmaking to the East side of the trail due to prevailing wind. Not sure what the better solution would be over leaving it where it is.
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (393.79 KiB) Viewed 544 times
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

newpylong1 wrote: Feb 16th, '24, 14:45 Yet they have allowed the race to occur for 7? years now. The tower issue is not as big of a deal when hosting non-speed events.

There is no real great alternative to get the SS lift off the trail entirely. If they move it closer to the lodge that would involve massive tree cutting, always fun in VT. If they run up the other side there isn't anywhere near as much cutting but then the snowmaking infrastructure is on the opposite side and would plaster the lift. You can't move the snowmaking to the East side of the trail due to prevailing wind. Not sure what the better solution would be over leaving it where it is.

Untitled.jpg
Move the race to Ovation? :twisted:
ImageImageImageImage
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

in terms of stoppages etc, supe comparatively runs rather well. but it does have a lot of mileage.

since we've already had 7 WCs, surprised that now it's that big of an issue. what the big deal about a lift crossing the trail. does it distract the racers. are they afraid a chair or a competitor is gonna fall off during a race. bad for the tv cameras.

in terms of logistics, assuming the base will go around where the ubar is. that would certainly shorten the commute from the base lodge or from that side but i can envision it being a bit of a cluster for those speeding from lark or bitter trying to get to the k1.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

newpylong1 wrote: Feb 16th, '24, 14:45 There is no real great alternative to get the SS lift off the trail entirely. If they move it closer to the lodge that would involve massive tree cutting, always fun in VT. If they run up the other side there isn't anywhere near as much cutting but then the snowmaking infrastructure is on the opposite side and would plaster the lift. You can't move the snowmaking to the East side of the trail due to prevailing wind. Not sure what the better solution would be over leaving it where it is.
Put a bend in it, a la SRT. It's a 2 fer, brand new and reminiscent.
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

Mister Moose wrote: Feb 16th, '24, 15:17
newpylong1 wrote: Feb 16th, '24, 14:45 There is no real great alternative to get the SS lift off the trail entirely. If they move it closer to the lodge that would involve massive tree cutting, always fun in VT. If they run up the other side there isn't anywhere near as much cutting but then the snowmaking infrastructure is on the opposite side and would plaster the lift. You can't move the snowmaking to the East side of the trail due to prevailing wind. Not sure what the better solution would be over leaving it where it is.
Put a bend in it, a la SRT. It's a 2 fer, brand new and reminiscent.

The Peyronie Quad? Bentcarrot.com
ImageImageImageImage
Big Bob
Postinator

Post by Big Bob »

newpylong1 wrote: Feb 16th, '24, 14:45 Yet they have allowed the race to occur for 7? years now. The tower issue is not as big of a deal when hosting non-speed events.

Untitled.jpg
From what I have been told your red line on the right was more correct. I think the bottom terminal would end up more to the left from what you are showing, basicaly at the base of the bag area.
2 hours and 10-minute drive to K
2023/2024 Ski Days: 33 days for the season
Killington: 12/14, 1/4, 1/9, 1/11, 1/17, 1/23, 1/31, 2/5, 2/20, 2/26, 3/4, 3/20, 3/25, 4/2, 4/5
Loon: 11/29, 12/8, 12/21, 1/8, 1/19, 1/22,1/30, 2/7, 2/15, 3/1, 3/8, 3/22, 4/14
Sunday River: 3/12
Sugarloaf: 3/13, 3/14
Cannon:1/15, 2/22
wtf021
Blue Chatterbox

Post by wtf021 »

At least with the lift route on the left, they could build the new lift over two off seasons while keeping the old lift running.
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

If they are “mandating” a change, there ought to be a very long contract to go with screwing up a perfectly good lift placement. I’d be more inclined to tell FIS to pound sand. POWDR wants the World Cup too much, it appears they’re negotiating from a position of weakness.
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

What weakness? The athletes love the crowd and energy, the sponsors no doubt love the audience. Killington loves the exposure. It's a marriage, with the resultant squabbles.