Ski width and late-in-day killington “sand piles”

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Mogulee
Beginner On Rentals

Ski width and late-in-day killington “sand piles”

Post by Mogulee »

I went to a blizzard rustler 104 mid ski when I used to use a 76 mid racer ski and it is so much more fun and easy to ski a wide ski thru all those man made snow sections that get loose like sand late in day. I think I’ll never go back to a typical carving ski. Example section is the last section befor the bubble on the chute where the snow just seems to be sandy piles by mid day. The snow on Saturdays get real messed up towards end of day and it’s like I’m now focusing on a ski for the bad snow late in day in my selection.

Others doing the same? It’s not powder but the mushy wet piles and dry sandy artificial snow piles are edge catchers for me where the wide skis I can smear and float a bit more over the crap.

Am I the last to get the memo ? 😬. What ski widths and models are others using for high intermediate to advanced ski level?
newpylong1
Poster Child Poster

Re: Ski width and late-in-day killington “sand piles”

Post by newpylong1 »

98 underfoot for a one ski quiver. iMHO 104 is a little wide for the conditions we typically see other than the edge case that you describe perhaps.
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

Once you go fat, you'll never go back!
ImageImageImageImage
Mogulee
Beginner On Rentals

Post by Mogulee »

LOL on going fat! Totally 100% :) it feels like cheating to me Stormchaser.. thanks newpylong1
wannabeskibum
Bumper

Post by wannabeskibum »

I still prefer an 88 underfoot - Blizzard Brahma - at 14 m in a 165cm - it’s great on hard snow and gives me enough float for everything else -
Skis - Blizzard Brahma 88, Nordica Enforcer 104
Age - over 45 years @ Killington
PinnacleJim
Slalom Racer

Post by PinnacleJim »

Width is only one factor. Also important are flex profile, rocker (especially at the tip), and overall shape.
ozzy
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by ozzy »

newpylong1 wrote: Feb 16th, '24, 07:28 98 underfoot for a one ski quiver. iMHO 104 is a little wide for the conditions we typically see other than the edge case that you describe perhaps.
I agree. I've had between 97 and 100mm waisted skis as daily drivers since the 2014-2015 season
skiskee8 wrote:Skiing in powder sucks. It's so much more work, and you can't go as fast.
Guy in Shorts

Post by Guy in Shorts »

96 Volkl M6 and 102 Volkl Mantra are my two daily drivers. Today was day one for my new 108 Volkl Katanas after they sat by the front door for the past three months. Some of the best snow of the season today.
If my words did glow with the gold of sunshine.
twilkas
Tree Psycho

Post by twilkas »

Guy in Shorts wrote: Feb 17th, '24, 15:47 96 Volkl M6 and 102 Volkl Mantra are my two daily drivers. Today was day one for my new 108 Volkl Katanas after they sat by the front door for the past three months. Some of the best snow of the season today.
Ok be honest GIS - which do you prefer - the volks at 96 underfoot, or the mantras at 102? understand it's condition dependent, so apples/oranges, i guess. still prefer my old atomic b5's at 76 waist as all arounders, fishcher motives at 86 for pow days.

side note for mogulee: got the fishchers through the same program at the snowshed shop mentioned earlier, that worked out fine..no idea if they're still doing the same thing, but worked nicely for me.
mulva
Beginner On Rentals

Post by mulva »

I was on Enforcer 88s yesterday and a ski nobody's ever heard with a shape of 131-77-111 today. The 77 was better today than the 88 was yesterday.
wannabeskibum
Bumper

Post by wannabeskibum »

PinnacleJim wrote: Feb 16th, '24, 10:18 Width is only one factor. Also important are flex profile, rocker (especially at the tip), and overall shape.
And most importantly is skier weight and build. I am only 5'6" 145 lbs, while an all mountain expert skier - I prefer a narrower profile ski - to me a Brahma 88 (14 m @ 165 cm) is a one ski quiver for both the East and the West. I am about to sell my Enforcer 100's for a sub 80 ski for those fast and firm days like we had last Sunday.
Skis - Blizzard Brahma 88, Nordica Enforcer 104
Age - over 45 years @ Killington
Guy in Shorts

Post by Guy in Shorts »

twilkas wrote: Feb 17th, '24, 17:21
Guy in Shorts wrote: Feb 17th, '24, 15:47 96 Volkl M6 and 102 Volkl Mantra are my two daily drivers. Today was day one for my new 108 Volkl Katanas after they sat by the front door for the past three months. Some of the best snow of the season today.
Ok be honest GIS - which do you prefer - the volks at 96 underfoot, or the mantras at 102? understand it's condition dependent, so apples/oranges, i guess. still prefer my old atomic b5's at 76 waist as all arounders, fishcher motives at 86 for pow days.
Wide skis put a smile on my face. The M6's are my favorite until I get the 102's on my feet. This past Wednesday we had 4" of fresh on Ski Bum race day. Had a 65 mm Fishcher RC4 on my feet for the day. Tough ski to surf the powder with as the margin for error is so much smaller. Love when I am floating giving the metal edges a break.
If my words did glow with the gold of sunshine.