Thursday, Feb 15 Report

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

rogman
Postinator

Thursday, Feb 15 Report

Post by rogman »

Crisp and cold at the open, with visibility at least 75 miles, a beautiful day. Bear skied exquisitely with the new snow groomed in. Doria insisted on a do-over on Clawburst. I did pass on Wildfire, a quick in an out off the right of Bear Claw where it pitches over confirmed that choice. Yikes! I was emotionally scarred for the remainder of the day after my 0.3 second harrowing adventure.

SS was fast and edgeable, but the side entrance to the headwall is gone again. There’s a nicely carved ramp, though. The herring bone patterns up it made an artful distraction to my wheezing and whining. The course itself was fast and edgeable, even Preston’s Pitch. I felt like a fat Michaela that had plundered the desert cart.

South Ridge lift was open, but the trails were roped off. Harrumph. Conditions report had announced Breakaway and Pipe Dream would be open. Couldn’t see any tracks at all that came down Lower PIpe Dream. Kind of annoying: there are bare spots, but it was definitely skiable. Kzone’s poaching game ain’t what it used to be, I guess. I just wish patrol had at least tried it before going “Nope”.

At Snowden, The sheen from the snow on Northstar was blinding, so I passed. Patsy’s looked tempting, but hit Vagabond instead on the theory that it had good sun exposure, and even if it sucked it would be over quick. Surprisingly, it was really good. I’ve become cautious and skeptical.

There were guns going at the usual random spots all over the mountain, with more concentrated efforts on Lower Skyeburst, Lower Cruise, and the top of Great Northern. Mountain ops and patrol probably should have worked better together on the last. Some large whales formed overnight, and the backsides of some presented a challenge not suitable for unsuspecting beginners. They were a bit wetter than the other locations as well. Surprising, given the elevation.

At Needles, the barrels have already been cleared out. Looking forward to the shy lifts late season debut today.
Captain Hafski
Postaholic

Re: Thursday, Feb 15 Report

Post by Captain Hafski »

Mid-Day Report: Not much change here. Icy base remains and groomers OK for the most part. Nice to have the sun until about 2:00 or so !

Eastern Technical Skiing [note - not Good ETS]: That would be the Northstar that Rogman passed up on and even worse was Dream Maker Headwall.

Surprise ROTD: Royal Flush. Got suckered in on my way to Conclusion. Probably hit it best time of day with sun still on skiers left. Had to tiptoe here and there butt at least it wasn't glare ice.

Pretty much groomers except for those mentioned above. Supe OK, Lower Skyelark very icy. Cruise Control OK with semi wet guns. Lower Great Eastern late in the day had to be tough for beginners with mini-snow making whales with a much difference surface condition than the trail itself.

Not much more to add !
Goes to show, you don't never know
Watch each card you play, and play it slow
Don't you let that deal go down
Don't you let that deal go down

Looks like its going down no matter what I do !!!