Sat. 2-17 Report

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

RustyK
Whipping Post

Sat. 2-17 Report

Post by RustyK »

Out at 9:30 and over to the new needles chair.

Couple laps there. Surprise 5 inches was nice, but you still hit the crunch underneath. Took a quick woods check with Boozetan. Pretty nice, had to stay light on your feet.

Skiergirl wanted to check out south ridge. Was hitting the pow on the left side of pipedream and hit this fitting under the snow. Big ouch.
IMG_1615.jpeg
IMG_1615.jpeg (630.62 KiB) Viewed 971 times
Double eject into the woods. Thought I broke my right shin until I stood up on it. Lost my other ski in the pow.
Went to the bear bar and got some ice from ski patrol.
Also asked them to mark the pipe.

Pipedream now my nightmare for the day. Took a few afternoon runs, but my shin hurt to much when I leaned forward. I’ll spare you the swollen leg pics.

Might get and X-ray Monday to make sure. Wanted to hit more low angle woods too. Maybe tomorrow.
Where is Happy Hour ?
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Re: Sat. 2-17 Report

Post by Mister Moose »

I thought all the pipes were skiers right on Pipe Dream??? How close to the tree line was this? Upper or Lower Pipe Dream?

Sorry you got hurt finding it.
Pedro
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by Pedro »

RustyK wrote: Feb 17th, '24, 17:31 Out at 9:30 and over to the new needles chair.

Couple laps there. Surprise 5 inches was nice, but you still hit the crunch underneath. Took a quick woods check with Boozetan. Pretty nice, had to stay light on your feet.

Skiergirl wanted to check out south ridge. Was hitting the pow on the left side of pipedream and hit this fitting under the snow. Big ouch.
IMG_1615.jpeg

Double eject into the woods. Thought I broke my right shin until I stood up on it. Lost my other ski in the pow.

Pipedream now my nightmare for the day. Took a few afternoon runs, but my shin hurt to much when I leaned forward. I’ll spare you the swollen leg pics.

Might get and X-ray Monday to make sure. Wanted to hit more low angle woods too. Maybe tomorrow.
You should totally get a free hot chocolate from guest services.
newpylong1
Poster Child Poster

Post by newpylong1 »

Mister Moose wrote: Feb 17th, '24, 18:08 I thought all the pipes were skiers right on Pipe Dream??? How close to the tree line was this? Upper or Lower Pipe Dream?

Sorry you got hurt finding it.
Pipes are skiers left. All the new ones have hydrant pads. This looks like one of the old buried ones that they abandoned in place when they replaced the pipe in '18. Notice the ball valve is open.
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

Pedro wrote: Feb 17th, '24, 18:12
RustyK wrote: Feb 17th, '24, 17:31

You should totally get a free Jagermeister from guest services.
Fixed it.
TJC
Beginner On Rentals

Post by TJC »

I must have rode the lift with Skiergirl after that as I heard that story.
(Unless the Snowmaking on Pipe Dream took out multiple skiers today)

Hope the leg gets better soon.
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

yikes rusty hope you're alright. can't believe that pipe wasn't marked. sue!!! maybe you'll own the place :D .
spoiled South American skiin' whore
Spyderman
Bumper

Post by Spyderman »

Rusty, oh no. Hope your shin didn’t receive a hairline fracture. Smart to get X-rays. Should have been marked. Ice and elevate. Wishing you will be better rest of weekend.
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

That sucks, Rusty. Sorry to hear that.

Skiing was exceptional today. Great conditions all over the mountain. My best day of the year. So far. We are getting into the fat part of the season. Next 2 months are traditionally EPIC. The good stuff starts NOW!!
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Post by hillbangin »

Yup there's a bunch over there running down the hill about 5 to 10 feet from the woods line.

Best line on the hill when the sun is shining or the snow is soft.

Hope you're ok!

Sent from my SM-S906U1 using Tapatalk

KingsFourMan
Postaholic

Post by KingsFourMan »

Pedro wrote: Feb 17th, '24, 18:12
RustyK wrote: Feb 17th, '24, 17:31 Out at 9:30 and over to the new needles chair.

IMG_1615.jpeg

You should totally get a free hot chocolate from guest services.
Haha, if there ever was a free hot chocolate, that's it!
Don't fly Mr. Bluebird, I'm just walking down the road......
Downdraft
Blue Chatterbox

Post by Downdraft »

Have seen winning suits over less. Got to pad and mark made made anything.
G-smashed
Official KZone Historian

Post by G-smashed »

No one is invulnerable when we get older. You should go to the the K clinic today and get that x-ray! They know their sh*t. Never sue K, sue Downdraft for being a douche!

Don't Deer Valley Killington!
http://www.myeloma.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.ffrf.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.keithrichards.com/
Finn
Postaholic

Post by Finn »

Rusty on no.
Hidden things under the snow every where. I like pipe dream too. Guess they forgot to remove that stuff
Lots of snow so exciting!

Go to Vt orthopedic and get it checked.
Take care and but ice.
The shin is a tough place and it hurts
At least you didn’t break any thing!!
Close to bear mountain too.
Recover quickly !!
Ah but mine is just the strain of the right rear lower glut muscle not skiing!!just silly stuff! I hope to be back soon.
Captain Hafski
Postaholic

Post by Captain Hafski »

Afternoon Report: It's not gonna be as rosy as what others have posted. The mountain took a beating today with all the peeps. Fortunately, not any major lift issues, and they had all lifts running, so lift lines weren't bad at all.

Normal warmup down LEF, to get to Canyon Quad decent. Up and over to South Ridge to check out the reportedly groomed Lower Pipe Dream. NOT. WTF - Why can't they get this reporting correct. Only grooming we saw was the runout from the bottom of Breakaway/Jug Handle to the lift. At any rate, wife thought Pipe Dream [left side Rusty - She didn't go as far as you ! Hope you are OK] was only a bit better than day before. For me, ROTD on Breakaway; still very firm surface underneath but was able to mostly stay 'on top'.

Old Supe very good. Supe very good under the guns however a weird double fall line of deep moguls forming down Prestons Pitch angling to the right; suspect from lots of peeps traversing that way to avoid the guns. Blowing good snow though. Skyelark decent.

Stash -> DM Park still very good. Love that lower section before the "pipe". O.L did not look good so passed on it.

Cruise Control very good. GETS ROTD Stitchline; very icy but at least it's not a flat and fast groomer. Parts of Vertigo OK as well.

WROTD: Lower Ovation. Horrible on the right side. Is the left any better? Can't see how it was Rusty's ROTD yesterday unless I'm choosing the wrong line. Bottom half was the worst and I had to really be careful not to slide too far and into a young kid, with her dad, that had crashed down it.

Back at Snowdon, Vagabond OK. Conclusion still skiable [GETS] but getting icier day by day.

Am sure it was better early on.
Goes to show, you don't never know
Watch each card you play, and play it slow
Don't you let that deal go down
Don't you let that deal go down

Looks like its going down no matter what I do !!!