lift & trail reports

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

skiadikt
Level 10K poster

lift & trail reports

Post by skiadikt »

echoing the captain's complaint about the reports - the report claimed a number of trails were groomed and they weren't. cases in point were ovation, upper wildfire and apparently others (pipedream?). generally prefer less grooming, but also understand the need to groom when conditions get too "technical", particularly for a holiday. but when a trail is said to have been groomed, then it should be groomed. shouldn't be surprised. can understand things not matching up with the evening report but the morning report should be spot on once all the groomer return to the yard. seems simple to get it right.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
ski
Wanted Poster

Re: lift & trail reports

Post by ski »

Really ? Yet another thread for the same F'n topic. . . The snow report sucks. The lifts and trails part of that sucks. The app sucks.

What else?
"Fare you well, fare you well
I love you more than words can tell"
Dude GFY
Blue Chatterbox

Post by Dude GFY »

Site wont load on my commodore 64. This site is fine though.
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

Mid and lower Ovation were groomed Friday night. It skied well Saturday. Lower looked treacherous today (Sunday) from KBL, based on how people were skiing it: slow and methodically.
Bumper

Post by 180 »

Northstar was groomed today.
Captain Hafski
Postaholic

Post by Captain Hafski »

Yep - Everywhere else I've been this year has had very accurate lift/trail status [including Stratton, Sugarbush, and Sunday River].

It's a no brainer. But apparently Killington does not have a centralized location [that would be ONE location, not 2 or more] for keeping this data. Then, everything else [e.g., the website, the App, etc.] taps into this data location so that all are putting out the same info to the guests, as well as to the K employees.

It's rule #1 about database management.
Goes to show, you don't never know
Watch each card you play, and play it slow
Don't you let that deal go down

Looks like its going down no matter what I do !!!
Downdraft
Blue Chatterbox

Post by Downdraft »

It probably doesn’t help that they have some system from 1976 still in place to show grooming and snowmaking plans. They just draw lines and colors on a plastic whiteboard over trail maps. Who knows how that gets pushed to an app and website. There are better and easier ways to do it…
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

The website is the same design as Copper’s. But yeah, Captain is spot on about Databases.
jimmywilson69
Poster Child Poster

Post by jimmywilson69 »

so they have a mountain opps and a separate ski patrol list of slopes that are being maintained? Who is putting these things into the website and the app? is that person having to look at 2 lists?

I'd think the app and website were linked but who knows...
2023-2024

Ski Visits in PA
Roundtop: 12/22,12/23, 1/8, 1/13, 1/14, 1/17 LR, 1/18 LR, 1/19, 1/20, 1/21, 1//22 LR, 1/23 LR, 1/26, 1/29 LR, 2/2 LR, 2/3, 2/4, 2/7 LR, 2/8, 2/9, 2/10, 2/11, 2/15, 2/16 LR, 2/17, 2/18, 2/19 LR, 2/21 LR, 3/8 LR, 3/9, 3/10

Ski Visits in VT
Okemo: 12/8, 2/29, 3/1, 3/2, 3/18
Stowe: 12/9
Killington: 12/10, 2/25, 2/26, 2/27, 3/16, 3/17

Ski Visits in NY
Hunter: 3/15

Total Ski Visits 44

LR = Lunch Runs
newpylong1
Poster Child Poster

Post by newpylong1 »

Downdraft wrote: Feb 19th, '24, 09:24 It probably doesn’t help that they have some system from 1976 still in place to show grooming and snowmaking plans. They just draw lines and colors on a plastic whiteboard over trail maps. Who knows how that gets pushed to an app and website. There are better and easier ways to do it…
Most ski areas still do this (the "1976 system") because it works. Mountain Operations has a daily meeting (at least) and they put it all on a whiteboard. If the system has failed it's on Step 2.
Downdraft
Blue Chatterbox

Post by Downdraft »

newpylong1 wrote: Feb 19th, '24, 16:59
Downdraft wrote: Feb 19th, '24, 09:24 It probably doesn’t help that they have some system from 1976 still in place to show grooming and snowmaking plans. They just draw lines and colors on a plastic whiteboard over trail maps. Who knows how that gets pushed to an app and website. There are better and easier ways to do it…
Most ski areas still do this (the "1976 system") because it works. Mountain Operations has a daily meeting (at least) and they put it all on a whiteboard. If the system has failed it's on Step 2.
But it’s 2024 and there’s better ways. 10 years ago there were better ways. You don’t need meetings. Emails calls and texts work just as well. Anything pushed to public can be changed on the go with a simple click on the phone or app you use to push info
newpylong1
Poster Child Poster

Post by newpylong1 »

The map with the color coded snow plans has nothing to do with how the information is disseminated. That happens after the fact and is the portion that seems broken.

As to these meetings (where the heads of the operating departments gather once per day), email, calls or text messages do not work for that type of collaboration. Every ski area that I have ever been involved in or have inside information on does it a similar way. There is so substitute for face to face.
wtf021
Blue Chatterbox

Post by wtf021 »

Did Killington forget it is Presidents’ Day vacation week. I thought the lifts usually open at 8am this week?
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

wtf021 wrote: Feb 20th, '24, 04:29 Did Killington forget it is Presidents’ Day vacation week. I thought the lifts usually open at 8am this week?
monday only. haven't done the 8am thing in a couple years. presidents week is no longer the big deal it used to be.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
Captain Hafski
Postaholic

Post by Captain Hafski »

jimmywilson69 wrote: Feb 19th, '24, 15:49 so they have a mountain opps and a separate ski patrol list of slopes that are being maintained? Who is putting these things into the website and the app? is that person having to look at 2 lists?

I'd think the app and website were linked but who knows...
From what I've seen, I think the App and the Website are "working" from the same data. There have been several times this year when I've been really pissed when I make a decision based on the lift/trail status info on the App and I get hosed. I've then checked the Website to see if it's any different and it seems to have the same bogus data that the App has.

Really can't believe that a World Class resort such as K can't keep this info accurate, and available to the customers [as well as their employees] , in real time.
Goes to show, you don't never know
Watch each card you play, and play it slow

Looks like its going down no matter what I do !!!