Historical trail closure patterns

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

wgo
Beginner On Rentals

Historical trail closure patterns

Post by wgo »

Trying to write this question in a way that doesn't come across as an out-of-towner asking "WHAT"S GUNNA BE OPEN IN TWO WEEKS" (even though that is sorta what this is). Historically, once a more spring-like pattern sets in, how long does it generally take until the trail count starts getting lower? Let's ignore the glades for the purpose of this exercise. Currently Killington is close to 100% open but starting next week it looks like there may be a few days in the upper 40's or even lower 50's.

Thanks and sorry for the tourist question.
Southside_Bobby
Slalom Racer

Re: Historical trail closure patterns

Post by Southside_Bobby »

In an average winter, everything will still be open in two weeks.

In an average winter, March sees the most snow.

Typically, Skyeship Stage 1 runs through the end of March. After that, the resort's footprint begins to shrink as they move through April.

Obviously anything can happen, but hopefully we have at least a month before you have to worry about "shrinkage"
2014 - "A South Ridge trail is Pipe Dream. A South Ridge lift shouldn't be."
2019 - "A South Ridge trail is Pipe Dream. A South Ridge lift (operating midweek) shouldn't be."
2023 - Killington announces that the South Ridge lift will run five days a week.
2024 - Killington lied.
mdskiguy
Beginner On Rentals

Post by mdskiguy »

Yeah, Tuesday the 27th and Wednesday the 28th ain't looking too good. I take some slight comfort in that I believe the predicted temperatures are for off the mountain, and the mountain may be colder.
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.p ... 3093447909

Chance of snow showers with a high of 37 at 3500 ft on Tuesday. Doesn't look that concerning to me.
newpylong1
Poster Child Poster

Post by newpylong1 »

Agree with previous posters. Assuming the world doesn't end (which is a possibility with this crap winter), everything that is open now would still be open in a month including all the lifts. Should be a lot of winter left.
easyrider16
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by easyrider16 »

rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

East facing trails without snow making will go first.
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

might lose some southeast facing natural snow trails like royal flush, pipedream and the fiddle but the rest should be fine.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
Captain Hafski
Postaholic

Post by Captain Hafski »

rogman wrote: Feb 21st, '24, 14:33 East facing trails without snow making will go first.
Gotta disagree with you. Southwest facing trails will go first.

South vs North: Pretty easy to figure this one out.

East vs West. Sun is on the East facing trails in the morning when it's still cold out from the night. West facing trails get the afternoon sun when it's warmer out.
Goes to show, you don't never know
Watch each card you play, and play it slow
Don't you let that deal go down
Don't you let that deal go down

Looks like its going down no matter what I do !!!
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

Captain Hafski wrote: Feb 22nd, '24, 10:14
rogman wrote: Feb 21st, '24, 14:33 East facing trails without snow making will go first.
Gotta disagree with you. Southwest facing trails will go first.

South vs North: Pretty easy to figure this one out.

East vs West. Sun is on the East facing trails in the morning when it's still cold out from the night. West facing trails get the afternoon sun when it's warmer out.
Although, there really aren't many trails that face SW at Killington...
ImageImageImageImage
KingsFourMan
Postaholic

Post by KingsFourMan »

Abysmal state of affairs statewide for the VAST snowmobile trail system for this time of year which should be peak season right now. Even if we get a few inches out of this next storm, the next 10-14 days are calling for temps in the 40's and 50's, two rainstorms, and no new snow. Might as well summarize and store the sleds after this weekend which is what we will probably do. Snowmobile season in VT is down to about a 4-6 week season and getting shorter all the time, hardly worth the investment in sleds, trailer, clothing, helmets, insurance, registration, and VAST TMA trail stickers.
Attachments
Screenshot (489).png
Screenshot (489).png (1.04 MiB) Viewed 487 times
Don't fly Mr. Bluebird, I'm just walking down the road......
Skid Mark
Green Skidder

Post by Skid Mark »

wgo wrote: Feb 21st, '24, 08:43 Trying to write this question in a way that doesn't come across as an out-of-towner asking "WHAT"S GUNNA BE OPEN IN TWO WEEKS" (even though that is sorta what this is). Historically, once a more spring-like pattern sets in, how long does it generally take until the trail count starts getting lower? Let's ignore the glades for the purpose of this exercise. Currently Killington is close to 100% open but starting next week it looks like there may be a few days in the upper 40's or even lower 50's.

Thanks and sorry for the tourist question.
Apology not accepted. Just show up and ski. How bad can early March skiing in VT be compared to any other time of the ski season?

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
wgo
Beginner On Rentals

Post by wgo »

lol I am definitely planning on just showing up and skiing. tbf I am committing to a 20-hr round trip from home.
newpylong1
Poster Child Poster

Post by newpylong1 »

KingsFourMan wrote: Feb 22nd, '24, 11:30 Abysmal state of affairs statewide for the VAST snowmobile trail system for this time of year which should be peak season right now. Even if we get a few inches out of this next storm, the next 10-14 days are calling for temps in the 40's and 50's, two rainstorms, and no new snow. Might as well summarize and store the sleds after this weekend which is what we will probably do. Snowmobile season in VT is down to about a 4-6 week season and getting shorter all the time, hardly worth the investment in sleds, trailer, clothing, helmets, insurance, registration, and VAST TMA trail stickers.
I've ridden a grand total of about 35 miles. 10 of that is probably my own property. I only registered one sled out of 3 too.
KingsFourMan
Postaholic

Post by KingsFourMan »

Winter in central VT is now pretty much like what winter used to be like in north central NJ where I grew up back in the 60’s and 70s. Winter in NJ is now basically non-existent, a short-lived cold snap here and there and a couple of small nuisance snowstorms if that. Significant rainstorms in VT in winter now outnumber significant snowstorms by far and skiing in VT is now just for warmups and to hold me over until the next trip out west.

We are less than 5 years away from retirement, and once that hits, I can’t see spending much time if any in VT during the winter months any more. We’ve owned a place there for over 20 years and the plan in retirement was always to go back and forth between NJ and VT like now but with much longer stays in VT than what we do now. But these winters, especially in the last 5 years or so, have us seriously reconsidering our plans for the winter months.

With a daughter in Denver who says she is never leaving CO, a condo in the mountains of CO within a few hours of her where we can spend Jan, Feb, and March and possibly a week or two in summer is looking more and more attractive all the time.
Don't fly Mr. Bluebird, I'm just walking down the road......