Historical trail closure patterns

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Re: Historical trail closure patterns

Post by Stormchaser »

KingsFourMan wrote: Feb 22nd, '24, 13:50 Winter in central VT is now pretty much like what winter used to be like in north central NJ where I grew up back in the 60’s and 70s. Winter in NJ is now basically non-existent, a short-lived cold snap here and there and a couple of small nuisance snowstorms if that. Significant rainstorms in VT in winter now outnumber significant snowstorms by far and skiing in VT is now just for warmups and to hold me over until the next trip out west.

We are less than 5 years away from retirement, and once that hits, I can’t see spending much time if any in VT during the winter months any more. We’ve owned a place there for over 20 years and the plan in retirement was always to go back and forth between NJ and VT like now but with much longer stays in VT than what we do now. But these winters, especially in the last 5 years or so, have us seriously reconsidering our plans for the winter months.

With a daughter in Denver who says she is never leaving CO, a condo in the mountains of CO within a few hours of her where we can spend Jan, Feb, and March and possibly a week or two in summer is looking more and more attractive all the time.
Just did the math on what it's going to cost me to ski in Vermont each year. Between the major capital improvement projects at Mountain Green along with other ownership costs, a ski pass at a mountain with operations that can't keep lifts running, and the hassles of a village construction project over the next 10 years, $38,000 a year to ski just isn't a logical or viable option anymore. Devastating. Was a good run...
ImageImageImageImage
mdskiguy
Beginner On Rentals

Post by mdskiguy »

wgo wrote: Feb 22nd, '24, 12:23 lol I am definitely planning on just showing up and skiing. tbf I am committing to a 20-hr round trip from home.
Lol, me too.

I've consistently skied the last week in February in VT for maybe 8 years (except for 2021, took that one off), and it has ranged from REALLY cold . . . like low single digits . . . to 30s. This will be the first time I'm thinking to see above 40 on the mountain.
ski
Wanted Poster

Post by ski »

Captain Hafski wrote: Feb 22nd, '24, 10:14
rogman wrote: Feb 21st, '24, 14:33 East facing trails without snow making will go first.
Southwest facing trails will go first.

Please name one trail at Killington that faces SW
"Fare you well, fare you well
I love you more than words can tell"
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

ski wrote: Feb 22nd, '24, 15:05
rogman wrote: Feb 21st, '24, 14:33 East facing trails without snow making will go first.

There isn't much...but it's greater than zero!

First part of Gateway/Skyewalker/Southridge Link off the back of Superstar lift.

Ridgeview to first part of Bear Cub off Bear Mtn Chair.

Beginning of Solitude.
ImageImageImageImage
newpylong1
Poster Child Poster

Post by newpylong1 »

I had to look too lol.

The only ones I came up were Bearly, Stashway, Skyewalker and SR Link. Killink (that's more due south though) and the 2 sections of Solitude possibly.
ski
Wanted Poster

Post by ski »

Stormchaser wrote: Feb 22nd, '24, 15:54
ski wrote: Feb 22nd, '24, 15:05

There isn't much...but it's greater than zero!

First part of Gateway/Skyewalker/Southridge Link off the back of Superstar lift.

Ridgeview to first part of Bear Cub off Bear Mtn Chair.
f
Beginning of Solitude.

OK . .just looked again at Google Maps . .

Ridgeview goes WNW for the first 2/3 then bears WSW

Two sections of Bear Cub before crosses Fall Brook the first time, near the base of South Ridge definitely face SW

Skyewalker SSW

South Ridge Link SW

Two sections of Solitude are definitely SW

Nice observations Stormy
ski
Wanted Poster

Post by ski »

Bearly . . yes, SW for a short section.
ski
Wanted Poster

Post by ski »

Killink SSE > SSW > S
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Post by hillbangin »

Stormchaser wrote: Feb 22nd, '24, 14:00
KingsFourMan wrote: Feb 22nd, '24, 13:50 Winter in central VT is now pretty much like what winter used to be like in north central NJ where I grew up back in the 60’s and 70s. Winter in NJ is now basically non-existent, a short-lived cold snap here and there and a couple of small nuisance snowstorms if that. Significant rainstorms in VT in winter now outnumber significant snowstorms by far and skiing in VT is now just for warmups and to hold me over until the next trip out west.

We are less than 5 years away from retirement, and once that hits, I can’t see spending much time if any in VT during the winter months any more. We’ve owned a place there for over 20 years and the plan in retirement was always to go back and forth between NJ and VT like now but with much longer stays in VT than what we do now. But these winters, especially in the last 5 years or so, have us seriously reconsidering our plans for the winter months.

With a daughter in Denver who says she is never leaving CO, a condo in the mountains of CO within a few hours of her where we can spend Jan, Feb, and March and possibly a week or two in summer is looking more and more attractive all the time.
Just did the math on what it's going to cost me to ski in Vermont each year. Between the major capital improvement projects at Mountain Green along with other ownership costs, a ski pass at a mountain with operations that can't keep lifts running, and the hassles of a village construction project over the next 10 years, $38,000 a year to ski just isn't a logical or viable option anymore. Devastating. Was a good run...
Gear and the Pass is cheap - the rest will kill you.

Did you add in the mileage on the commute and wear and tear on the car?
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

I come for the information, I stay to watch threads go off the rails and wind up less informed for the experience.
KingsFourMan
Postaholic

Post by KingsFourMan »

Stormchaser wrote: Feb 22nd, '24, 14:00

That is a lot of opportunity cost, like about 4-5 trips out west and one to Europe every winter. Or even possibly owning something out west and spending the winters there. We are in a similar boat as you. For now, while we are both working, it's what we have to work with but in retirement in a few short years, I'm having a hard time justifying the expense for what we will be getting and what else we could be doing with that money.
Don't fly Mr. Bluebird, I'm just walking down the road......
eagle628
Green Skidder

Post by eagle628 »

If the March weather outlook doesn't improve in a big hurry this thread is going to become a lot more relevant a lot sooner than we want.
Big Bob
Postinator

Post by Big Bob »

newpylong1 wrote: Feb 22nd, '24, 12:41
KingsFourMan wrote: Feb 22nd, '24, 11:30 Abysmal state of affairs statewide for the VAST snowmobile trail system for this time of year which should be peak season right now. Even if we get a few inches out of this next storm, the next 10-14 days are calling for temps in the 40's and 50's, two rainstorms, and no new snow. Might as well summarize and store the sleds after this weekend which is what we will probably do. Snowmobile season in VT is down to about a 4-6 week season and getting shorter all the time, hardly worth the investment in sleds, trailer, clothing, helmets, insurance, registration, and VAST TMA trail stickers.
I've ridden a grand total of about 35 miles. 10 of that is probably my own property. I only registered one sled out of 3 too.
I have 90 miles so far....
2 hours and 10-minute drive to K
2023/2024 Ski Days: 33 days for the season
Killington: 12/14, 1/4, 1/9, 1/11, 1/17, 1/23, 1/31, 2/5, 2/20, 2/26, 3/4, 3/20, 3/25, 4/2, 4/5
Loon: 11/29, 12/8, 12/21, 1/8, 1/19, 1/22,1/30, 2/7, 2/15, 3/1, 3/8, 3/22, 4/14
Sunday River: 3/12
Sugarloaf: 3/13, 3/14
Cannon:1/15, 2/22
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

eagle628 wrote: Feb 23rd, '24, 10:12 If the March weather outlook doesn't improve in a big hurry this thread is going to become a lot more relevant a lot sooner than we want.
yup. after today & tomorrow, there's only one cold day (thursday) in the extended forecast. looks like a good solid week of spring skiing but way too soon particularly in what's supposed to be the most snowy time of the season.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
newpylong1
Poster Child Poster

Post by newpylong1 »

Big Bob wrote: Feb 24th, '24, 04:09
newpylong1 wrote: Feb 22nd, '24, 12:41
KingsFourMan wrote: Feb 22nd, '24, 11:30 Abysmal state of affairs statewide for the VAST snowmobile trail system for this time of year which should be peak season right now. Even if we get a few inches out of this next storm, the next 10-14 days are calling for temps in the 40's and 50's, two rainstorms, and no new snow. Might as well summarize and store the sleds after this weekend which is what we will probably do. Snowmobile season in VT is down to about a 4-6 week season and getting shorter all the time, hardly worth the investment in sleds, trailer, clothing, helmets, insurance, registration, and VAST TMA trail stickers.
I've ridden a grand total of about 35 miles. 10 of that is probably my own property. I only registered one sled out of 3 too.
I have 90 miles so far....
I added about 50 more yesterday in Errol I am assuming that's the end unless we get bailed out.