Fascinating article about one of the worst lift accidents in American history

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

KingsFourMan
Postaholic

Fascinating article about one of the worst lift accidents in American history

Post by KingsFourMan »

I'm sure many of you, like me, remember when this happened. I remember riding that same gondola about 5 years later and being blown away by how high it was, 230' in places according to this article.

It was 48 years ago next week, on March 26, 1976. Two gondola cabins at Vail holding 6 people each fell 125' to the ground, the equivalent of about a 9 story building. One landed upright, the other one upside down. Several other cars were hanging precariously.

Three people died immediately at the scene, one died 2 days later in the hospital. In the cabin that landed upside down, a 14 year old girl from Denver was killed and her 18 year old sister was critically injured with her right arm nearly fully amputated in the accident. Their 19 year old friend was also killed. The father of the two sisters had just loaded them onto the gondola after getting them their lift tickets. The lift attendant told him that he couldn't cut in line and board the gondola with them so he took the adjacent Born Free lift instead with the plan of meeting them at the top. Also in that cabin was a 42-year-old housewife from SD that was killed. The fourth victim was an 18 year boy from Massachusetts who was in the other cabin that landed upright.

The reason for the accident was a flawed design which resulted in excessive wear on the "track" cable which was the stationary cable that the gondola cabins were pulled along by another lower haul cable. The track cable became frayed and several long strands of it were hanging that became tangled in the wheels of the gondola carriage hangers derailing one and causing it to hit and get hung up at one of the towers. The haul rope then acted as a saw and sawed the carriage hanger in half on the car that was hung up making it fall to the ground. The other car fell as a result of another cabin that got hung up on the sawed-off carriage hanger at the tower sliding back into it after it became detached from the haul rope. Unbelievable story, the stuff of nightmares. What the father of those girls went through is beyond horrific.

It's a long article but definitely worth the read.

https://vault.si.com/vault/1976/12/13/t ... gondola-ii
Don't fly Mr. Bluebird, I'm just walking down the road......
Southside_Bobby
Slalom Racer

Re: Fascinating article about one of the worst lift accidents in American history

Post by Southside_Bobby »

An example of why the newest lifts have so many sensors, designed to stop the lifts so they don't keep moving after something goes wrong.
2014 - "A South Ridge trail is Pipe Dream. A South Ridge lift shouldn't be."
2019 - "A South Ridge trail is Pipe Dream. A South Ridge lift (operating midweek) shouldn't be."
2023 - Killington announces that the South Ridge lift will run five days a week.
2024 - Killington lied.
KingsFourMan
Postaholic

Re: Fascinating article about one of the worst lift accidents in American history

Post by KingsFourMan »

Southside_Bobby wrote: Mar 21st, '24, 13:57 An example of why the newest lifts have so many sensors, designed to stop the lifts so they don't keep moving after something goes wrong.
Modern lifts technology today is amazing, especially compared to the primitive lifts of 50 years ago back in the 70's.
Don't fly Mr. Bluebird, I'm just walking down the road......
twilkas
Tree Psycho

Post by twilkas »

That was a painful read. and fk those press choppers, vultures!
Pedro
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by Pedro »

twilkas wrote: Mar 21st, '24, 20:03 That was a painful read. and fk those press choppers, vultures!
Yes, i think i am going to go rent manchester by the sea to cheer myself up now.