Saturday, March 23 2024

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Saturday, March 23 2024

Post by Mister Moose »

Didn't make the open, but caught a day full of buttery bumps. Some good deep powder shots as well. Snowed all day and it wasn't uncommon to find lots of 2-3" fresh in low traffic spots. EVERYTHING bumped up. Uber low pitch sections washboarded. Pedro said K1 lodge was elbow to elbow.

Then the fun started.

Access road jammed. Parking lot full of tire spinning and cars lurching and stopping. All the low skill snow drivers got stuck and clogged up the works. Shuttle busses not running. Skyeship went down mid afternoon. Bars looked full of cars that made it out of the lots looking for shelter during the storm. Should be a great day tomorrow.
Last edited by Mister Moose on Mar 23rd, '24, 19:55, edited 1 time in total.
Dude GFY
Blue Chatterbox

Re: Saturday, March 23 2024

Post by Dude GFY »

Tried to leave bay 1 at 6...3 hours later and 1 mile I will live another day. Thank you snow groomer who cleared the lot for us all.
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

Out at the open, it was dumping, and it kept at it all day. Snow wasn’t Champagne Powder, or even Champlain Powder, but it was powder; a tad heavy but nowhere near Sierra Cement I was anticipating and dreading. Bottom line: I wanted fatter skis. I’m not sure what Killington reported, but I’d say at least 8” to 10” at the open, and probably 20” by four o’clock, based on what was on my deck. It was still dumping then, probably finished up about 9. The anticipated backside r*in never made it here.

Between the snow and the wind, there was a constant refresh. Run of the day was whatever you were skiing. Woods were superb, good coverage. By nine, the only trails closed were touchdown and valley plunge. That oversight was later corrected. 100%.

Although the place was busy, the soft bumps that quickly formed kept time on the hill long, and the lines short. Canyon quad was hopping, but still walk on. If you were looking for groomers, best to stay home. I could name a bunch of trails, but why bother? It was all good. Finally crawled off the hill about 3PM, wishing I had the stamina to go longer.

I’ve been traveling for 3 weeks, so I can’t really compare with what’s preceded, but today was easily the best day of the season for me at Killington, and I’m closing in on 100. Tomorrow should be every bit as good. We don’t get many like this.
RustyK
Whipping Post

Saturday 3/23 report

Post by RustyK »

Wow. Just wow. Best woods day of the season for me.

Out with SBF,Tricks and Powday.

Lots of great undisclosed trees. As well as Sup woods , Stairs , Diper woods and many more. Hard to pick a rotd.

Fiddle after lunch better than expected.

Great Snowshed happy at 4 with Pedro, Moose and many others. Parking lot a major sh*t show. Made for lot of entertainment.

Watch out for the streams. Not filled in.
FullSizeR.jpeg
FullSizeR.jpeg (444.74 KiB) Viewed 824 times
Where is Happy Hour ?
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Re: Saturday 3/23 report

Post by hillbangin »

Great day out there. Be careful especially around Bear. Very bony on the steep stuff.

A couple of sleds over there yesterday as the result of hidden objects being hit....

Great day though. Fun watching the hill change for the better in 12 hours.

Best snowmaking on the planet is mother nature.

Sent from my SM-S906U1 using Tapatalk

Captain Hafski
Postaholic

Post by Captain Hafski »

Afternoon Report: Avoided most of the parking lot sh*t show by parking at Bear [right up front]; figured it is pretty flat and only worry was an accident on East Mountain road [there was a two-car accident at the hairpin on our way up]. And, a car being pulled outa the ditch by a wrecker on our way back down, but only coupla minute delay. Can't imaging what it was like at K1.

Jumping ahead [Sunday] a bit, non stop traffic this morning going past our house on Rte 100. A friend said it took them over 10 minutes to make the left onto Rte 4 at the Sunrise general store. Must be one hell of a Skiadikt Conga Line !

As the Moose posted, Everything "bumped" up, whoop de dood, etc. Carnage everywhere on the "groomers".

Coupla runs at Bear very good including Stash / DM Park.

South Ridge laps next with everything very good. Upper Pipe Dream, wimpy as it is, was great [until it joined up with Bear Trax, which was WROTD with flying bodies, carnage, and the Yahoo bus everywhere. ROTD Lower Pipe Dream. Breakaway very good, though hitting the crunch below at the bottom. Upper Breakaway excellent.

Coupla laps at Needle's Eye very good as well with Needle's Eye gondi line being my favorite. Never saw so many peeps going down Stitchline.

As already mentioned, Skyeship went down mid afternoon for some reason. Ski Patrol put up ropes on Home Stretch and Great Eastern was gated with a sign stating "no lift running". Home Stretch poachers had to pay the price as they weren't running shuttle buses later in the day; saw several skiers/riders hiking up East Mountain road trying to get back to wherever they parked.

Heard lots of grumbling from those expecting to float in light fluffy powder all day !

A great day and we should be set up nicely for the future.
Goes to show, you don't never know
Watch each card you play, and play it slow
Don't you let that deal go down
Don't you let that deal go down

Looks like its going down no matter what I do !!!
Pedro
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Re: Saturday 3/23 report

Post by Pedro »

That was F@!ng delicious.

Skiing was good too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bumper

Post by 180 »

After an unbelievable "BelltoBellsky" day we stayed in the K1 Bar waiting for the road to clear. Then they had a wedding and threw us out downstairs. They re-opened the cafeteria. The the real fun began in the parking lot watching the guys in big pickups try to get out. Big wheels and big truck, does not mean snow friendly. Finally, the amazing groomer came and plowed the lot. He maneuvered that rig within inches of each car.
Attachments
PXL_20240323_231150347.jpg
PXL_20240323_231150347.jpg (288.96 KiB) Viewed 276 times