Sunday, March 24th report

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Big Bob
Postinator

Sunday, March 24th report

Post by Big Bob »

Traffic backed up to Bridgewater on Rt 4. Must be a busy day. Killington posting that all parking lots are full, I have never seen that message. I will wait till tomorrow! Hopefully not many hold overs.
2 hours and 10-minute drive to K
2023/2024 Ski Days: 33 days for the season
Killington: 12/14, 1/4, 1/9, 1/11, 1/17, 1/23, 1/31, 2/5, 2/20, 2/26, 3/4, 3/20, 3/25, 4/2, 4/5
Loon: 11/29, 12/8, 12/21, 1/8, 1/19, 1/22,1/30, 2/7, 2/15, 3/1, 3/8, 3/22, 4/14
Sunday River: 3/12
Sugarloaf: 3/13, 3/14
Cannon:1/15, 2/22
newpylong1
Poster Child Poster

Re: Sunday, March 24th report

Post by newpylong1 »

The ski areas needed this....
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

Several busy <cough Ikon> Saturdays I've seen it close to Glazebrook. Today was right to Glaze Brook. All the bumps kept the speed down, so it didn't feel quite so crazy.
20240324_151826.jpg
20240324_151826.jpg (170.32 KiB) Viewed 1397 times
Last edited by Mister Moose on Mar 24th, '24, 15:43, edited 1 time in total.
GSKI
Powderhound

Post by GSKI »

people in the East know. If it's snowing you're going!
Midwest Skier
Blue Chatterbox

Post by Midwest Skier »

It honestly didn't seem any more crowded than a standard Sunday out on the hill. I never saw the K1 or Bubble corrals more than half full. Only difference I noticed was that the crowd stayed pretty constant from 10-3, no Sunday afternoon early clear-out for people to get an early start back south.
GSKI
Powderhound

Post by GSKI »

obviously not much car pooling!
twilkas
Tree Psycho

Post by twilkas »

Hope you all made it to the mountan at least.
ski
Wanted Poster

Post by ski »

Awesome ski day! The kind all skiers dream of . . . . Not a bad turn to be had . .
Last edited by ski on Mar 25th, '24, 10:23, edited 1 time in total.
"Fare you well, fare you well
I love you more than words can tell"
snoloco
Tree Psycho

Post by snoloco »

Best day of the season by far. Skied tons of glades which were mostly in perfect condition. Mostly avoided lift lines. Nearly every run was so good, but the ones that stood out to me were the Ramshead and Snowdon trees, everything in the Canyon, Old Superstar, Skye Hawk, Somewhere, and Valley Plunge.

That being said, there were two notable points of frustration. First was the lack of plowing in the parking lots. I got to Ramshead at 7:40, and I nearly got stuck because they hadn't finished plowing it. It was 20 minutes before the lifts opened. This should have been done hours earlier.

The next issue was with the lifts. With full parking lots, the mountain was literally as busy as it gets. Why wasn't the triple running, and why were the K1 and bubble running so slow with minimal wind? Seriously, is this some ploy to make the lines longer and boost fast tracks sales? It didn't work (didn't see anyone using fast tracks), but it did mean having to avoid those lifts most of the day.

I've definitely seen the mountain more crowded, even on days when parking didn't fill. I attribute it to reduced parking capacity caused by lack of plowing and no parking staff directing things, and people taking longer to get back down if they were skiing glades or bumps. That means shorter lift lines. It's possible that lack of carpooling was also a factor, but I think that's more of a day of the storm thing, rather than day after the storm.
GSKI
Powderhound

Post by GSKI »

the parking at Bear was crazy! Every spot real and imagined. It was hard to get out! Down by the skyship parking on rt 4 parking went down past the cemetary!
fdskier56
Blue Chatterbox

Post by fdskier56 »

Looked at bear lot from bear quad

Looked liked a bad game of Tetris

May have been a few rows of 3-4 cars deep.
Good luck if you had to leave lol
heiusa
Blue Chatterbox

Post by heiusa »

And NO, there is not any excuse. You are getting HUGE $$$$ from everyone ! STAFF UP !!

IT SHOULDNT BE A STAFF ISSUE, THEY SHOULD HAVE SUB CONTRACTORS ON CONTRACTS TO COME AND PLOW THE LOTS.
wtf021
Blue Chatterbox

Post by wtf021 »

Not sure why the groomers can’t be used to clear the lots. There was one in the skyeship lot around 7pm tonight pushing snow around.
Last edited by wtf021 on Mar 24th, '24, 22:37, edited 1 time in total.
RustyK
Whipping Post

Post by RustyK »

Another great day in the books. 8:30 start with the SNF crew. Also Powday and Ron. Vertigo early had a little wind blown crust, but still excellent in the woods on both sides.

Stichline as good as it gets. Somewhere/no perfect.
Lower Sky bumps a delight. West glade area with Skiergirl.
Only real line was at the bubble.

K1 lunch outside was a great scene. Skied all of anarchy ridge. Better in the shade. Flush and throne got a little springy. Finished up on low rider.

Lots of cars still here tonight. Tomorrow will be crowded for a Monday.
Attachments
IMG_1072.jpeg
IMG_1072.jpeg (1.21 MiB) Viewed 911 times
Where is Happy Hour ?
Low Rider
Black Carver

Post by Low Rider »

Over at Pico parking was nearly as much of a $h!t show as it sounded like at Killington. All the aisles in the lot were down to one lane, cars were parked up alpine drive, on both sides of the road to the fitness center and in every corner and made up spot in the lot. I don't know if anyone ever parked out on Route 4 or if they were actively preventing that. I did hear of stories of people giving up and going home.

On the mountain everything skied amazing - Summit Glades, Sunset Woods, Upper Pike, Birch Glades, Brich Woods, Bronco, Doozie all A+.... too many to list. It was the longest line i think i've ever seen for the summit chair, but once they got the corrals set up properly and were directing the lift line it became more manageable.

I also think there is truth to the comment above about people taking longer to get down in all the bumps = shorter lines.

Rumor was swirling around that they actually closed the upper part of the Killington access road for a while. Any truth to this?