thursday 4/4 report

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

skiadikt
Level 10K poster

thursday 4/4 report

Post by skiadikt »

april showers bring may flowers. guess an april dump brings may bumps ...

after 5 pow days out of 6 on my western trip, was suffering from severe withdrawal. got our fix today with a reported 18". went from one of the worst days of the season to one of the best. due to high winds, many lifts were delayed at the open requiring some open field running. supe & bear quad ran at the bell. parked in the sube spaces at rams and rode the snowshed double at about 9:25.

free refills all morning. the pow was deep and on the heavy side and subject to lots of wind sculpting with drifts and some scouring. before they got cut, on some trails there were "waves". for the most, couldn't buy a bad turn today. wildfire bumps filled in nicely and old supe got a 3-peat followed up by mid o. only exception was highline where the hard bumps underneath gave it a deduction. guessing the trees were the place to be but couldn't get there easily.

never hit the canyon but those runs probably held up the best since w/o the K1 required the triple and the NR to access. rode the triple once and not fun and was told the NR was worse. by the afternoon the snow did let up a bit and the winds diminished. all this should set us for once of the best bmmc.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
HomeyTim
Beginner On Rentals

Re: thursday 4/4 report

Post by HomeyTim »

A typical K powder day - outstanding ski conditions but confusion and unpreparedness by K staff, as usual. Checked the app when I left the house at 8:40 for lift delays - Snowshed looks safe. NOPE! Got to Snowshed at 8:50 to discover after I started booting up in the lodge that all the lifts from there (RAMS & SS) all delayed. No mountain ambassadors, no monitor with lift status in the changing room, nothing. No indication in the app ops update that SS 1 would run @ 9:30. Pack up and head to the joy that is K1 lot on a powder day.

Seems that the person who updates the “ops update” in the app went off shift after noon because it was still saying that NEQ was on wind hold at 3:58pm when it had been running since about 1. Lift status in the app was accurate though. I understand the limitations of operations during challenging weather, but, K knew certain lifts would be delayed at 7:30 and chose not to communicate which lifts were getting prioritized. They can blast out marketing messages about powder days but can’t let their guests know what’s happening on the hill. FAIL, again.

Watched a car come down the horseshoe in front of K1 at lunch WAY too fast and slide out into a parked car. He was going to just leave until he saw me taking his picture. Lots of Jerry’s today. NJ school break.

Heard that at least one window blew out in the K1 top shack overnight and filled it with snow.

Won’t comment on the conditions - if you were there you know - if you weren’t, why make you feel bad.
Fluffhead
Beginner On Rentals

Post by Fluffhead »

Yeah, totally unprepared. I don’t think the staff even knew it was going to snow. And don’t get me started on the insufficient number of ambassadors.
RustyK
Whipping Post

Post by RustyK »

April showers bring…..pow. Another wow day starting at Sup just after 9.

Somewhere/nowhwere awesome no tracks. Sup still had some no snow areas from the wind scour.

Found GIS and Tele rich at the triple. 2nd chair up. North ridge winds we’re 40-50 mph and blowing snow.
Nobody up there because it was painful. But the freshest tracks I’ve seen in years. West glade for a couple then escapade to cascade. Unreal. Repeated it many times.

Started hitting the woods up there. First tracks even after lunch. Nobody went high. Many un disclosed.

Found Powday at needles after they started running the chair. Stairs; vertigo tracked out but nice.

Ended the day on low rider and patsies. Legs toasted by 4:00.
Attachments
IMG_1117.jpeg
IMG_1117.jpeg (416.48 KiB) Viewed 477 times
Where is Happy Hour ?
Bumper

Post by 180 »

One for the records. Another bell2bellski" day. SS at the open. Woods were deep everywhere. Lapped Needles are to NB and back to SS most of the morning. Ran into Rusty on the first of many great runs in the woods. Patrollers had there hands full trying to stop all the poaching. When Lower O opened it was like Steamboat powder. Many runs on Stichline from the top. Stairs and the Anarchy Ridge were like flowing water of pow turns.
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

HomeyTim wrote: Apr 4th, '24, 16:44 A typical K powder day - outstanding ski conditions but confusion and unpreparedness by K staff, as usual. Checked the app when I left the house at 8:40 for lift delays - Snowshed looks safe. NOPE! Got to Snowshed at 8:50 to discover after I started booting up in the lodge that all the lifts from there (RAMS & SS) all delayed. No mountain ambassadors, no monitor with lift status in the changing room, nothing. No indication in the app ops update that SS 1 would run @ 9:30. Pack up and head to the joy that is K1 lot on a powder day.

Seems that the person who updates the “ops update” in the app went off shift after noon because it was still saying that NEQ was on wind hold at 3:58pm when it had been running since about 1. Lift status in the app was accurate though. I understand the limitations of operations during challenging weather, but, K knew certain lifts would be delayed at 7:30 and chose not to communicate which lifts were getting prioritized. They can blast out marketing messages about powder days but can’t let their guests know what’s happening on the hill. FAIL, again.

Watched a car come down the horseshoe in front of K1 at lunch WAY too fast and slide out into a parked car. He was going to just leave until he saw me taking his picture. Lots of Jerry’s today. NJ school break.

Heard that at least one window blew out in the K1 top shack overnight and filled it with snow.

Won’t comment on the conditions - if you were there you know - if you weren’t, why make you feel bad.
You might want to switch to decaf.