Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

fdskier56
Blue Chatterbox

Spring Shrinkage Schedule ?

Post by fdskier56 »

Hey Gang-

I know this wknd is last for Bear MT 4/13 and 4/14

has K any shrinkage announced plans after that?

Any Intel when Rams/Bubble/K1 might run until…

NY schools are closed Mon/Tues april 22 and 23 for
Passover…

Trying to figure out if Killington will be “kid friendly” those days or will it only be Superstar chair running ?
HomeyTim
Beginner On Rentals

Re: Spring Shrinkage Schedule ?

Post by HomeyTim »

Based on previous years experience & expected snowpack, I would plan on having Bubble, K1, & Superstar running and likely Ramshead (but Ramshead lodge closed). Possibly Canyon Quad as well.. Needles appears to be done after this weekend...

Kid-friendly depends on how the snowpack fairs between now and then... Core trails are all pretty deep right now (best I've seen in years) but the connectors can sometimes rot out and make them inaccessible. Should be something for the kids to enjoy...
asher2789
Double Diamond Skidder

Post by asher2789 »

bear/needles/south ridge ends 4/14
k1/snowdon/canyon/north ridge/ramshead ends 4/21
superstar goes to weekends only after 4/28 i believe. it might be the following weekend...

kid friendly could mean a lot of things... spring riding tends to bump up fast unless its cold out, once were down to superstar its high blue level and above. if your kid is a low blue skier or below there's nothing for them after 4/21.
Last edited by asher2789 on Apr 11th, '24, 09:00, edited 1 time in total.
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

haven't heard of any announced plans.

in this season of budget cuts, expect the worst especially mid-week. the place has been beyond a ghost town this week, so can't blame them for closedowns.

suspect this will be the last weekend for both bear & needles. fortunately we did get the needles chair this week. doubt it, but maybe we get another weekend depending on terrain availability and interest.

we should get at least another full week out of K1, snowdon, rams and supe. then perhaps the following week or at least the last weekend of april. with the ram's parks, perhaps they keep that going if there's enough interest. obviously supe will continue to run til the end.

though overall, it hasn't been a good season - kinda upside/down, guess it's a "good thing" that the closures are more due to lack of interest rather than lack of snow. pico closed this weekend with as much snow cover as they've had all season. better than the alternative i guess. interestingly people come out in droves early season climbing up & down stairs to ski utter crap in the NR and no one comes out for great spring skiing with most of the mtn open.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
ozzy
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by ozzy »

The last K employee email that went out said K1 and RH until Sunday April 21.

What it didn't say was probably nore important than what it did. It did not mention closing dates for needles eye chair, north ridge quad, snowdon bubble or canyon quad.
In the past, skye peak express has gone weekends only two weeks past BMMC.

My guess is for passover week there will be at least three lifts. Superstar, bubble and canyon, maybe north ridge as well.
skiskee8 wrote:Skiing in powder sucks. It's so much more work, and you can't go as fast.
fdskier56
Blue Chatterbox

Post by fdskier56 »

Thanks everyone.

If there are any lifts running beside Superstar that midweek starting 4/22 I will probably bring the whole family..

If not might just be myself and my oldest kid.

any other Intel please post as you hear it!
buckethead
Slalom Racer

Post by buckethead »

wow, hard to believe the K1 will be shuttered so soon, given thd midwinter events of late! will be lots of hiking required to keep the unserved snow from going to waste!
snoloco
Tree Psycho

Post by snoloco »

The last Sunday of April this year is 4/28, so I'd expect to see lifts other than Superstar open that weekend if there is sufficient snow cover. In 2022, they kept Snowdon and Ramshead open until 5/1.
buckethead
Slalom Racer

Post by buckethead »

yup, that's my hope.

was it 2011 when the canyon quad was running extra late?
it felt like a time warp to be taking late spring turns on LEF
Southside_Bobby
Slalom Racer

Post by Southside_Bobby »

snoloco wrote: Apr 11th, '24, 15:24 The last Sunday of April this year is 4/28, so I'd expect to see lifts other than Superstar open that weekend if there is sufficient snow cover. In 2022, they kept Snowdon and Ramshead open until 5/1.
I wouldn't count on that this year, between the lack of demand (which is more apparent than usual this spring) and the fudge-it cuts.
Last edited by Southside_Bobby on Apr 11th, '24, 17:36, edited 1 time in total.
2014 - "A South Ridge trail is Pipe Dream. A South Ridge lift shouldn't be."
2019 - "A South Ridge trail is Pipe Dream. A South Ridge lift (operating midweek) shouldn't be."
2023 - Killington announces that the South Ridge lift will run five days a week.
2024 - Killington lied.
MrsG
Whipping Post

Post by MrsG »

Let's see what happens after the 15th. Would think many procrastinators are taking care of some monetary issues right now☺️
fdskier56
Blue Chatterbox

Post by fdskier56 »

With Easter so early this year the typical
School spring break schedules are all out of whack..

Re reading the rumored closures.

Seems crazy it might be superstar only starting 4/22.
newpylong1
Poster Child Poster

Post by newpylong1 »

Not all that crazy considering it's going to go real quick now and it's a ghost town. r*in yesterday, pouring today, more r*in next week and 50 degree days.
Last edited by newpylong1 on Apr 12th, '24, 10:53, edited 1 time in total.
snoloco
Tree Psycho

Post by snoloco »

I'm not sure what coverage looks like on Snowdon, but going down to only Superstar after next weekend would be very early. It's not at all uncommon to have K1 and either Canyon or North Ridge open the last weekend of April. Based on the webcam, even Bear looks like it could make another weekend, not that it will happen.
Southside_Bobby
Slalom Racer

Post by Southside_Bobby »

snoloco wrote: Apr 12th, '24, 10:13 It's not at all uncommon to have K1 and either Canyon or North Ridge open the last weekend of April.
It wasn't uncommon for a long time. That seems to be changing.

Last year they went to Supe only on Monday 4/24. I have doubts that they will change their plans this year, of all years.

The place is also a total ghost town. Every weekday they are open right now, they are probably losing money.
2014 - "A South Ridge trail is Pipe Dream. A South Ridge lift shouldn't be."
2019 - "A South Ridge trail is Pipe Dream. A South Ridge lift (operating midweek) shouldn't be."
2023 - Killington announces that the South Ridge lift will run five days a week.
2024 - Killington lied.