Sticky snow

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

my poor knees
Green Skidder

Sticky snow

Post by my poor knees »

Last 3 days skiing, Monday - Wednesday, I experienced that herky jerky type snow that sticks to the bottoms of your skis and really slows you down. If the snow was in the shade it was better. Thought I was prepared, hot waxed using some Swix yellow spring wax, but didn't really work, Any tried and proven methods to share?
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Re: Sticky snow

Post by Mister Moose »

Did you ski all 3 days with freshly waxed skis? If so, you don't know how much worse it would have been with no wax. That aside, fresh wax every day is better. There are also some field applied liquid wax products that are designed for warm snow, they last only a few runs. There is no miracle solution though. Once the snow corns up the stickiness goes way down.
Dude GFY
Blue Chatterbox

Post by Dude GFY »

Wd40
Ski_the_Moguls
Poster Child Poster

Post by Ski_the_Moguls »

Dude GFY wrote: Apr 12th, '24, 16:31Wd40
I am sure you were joking. :D

Lately, I have been using this stuff. Easy to apply and lasts for the whole day (maybe even 2). Seems pricey, but a little goes a long way.
https://dominatorwax.com/products/dominator-ffc-p2
Captain Hafski
Postaholic

Post by Captain Hafski »

On flats, you can ski in a bit of a wedge, ski in a skidded turn, and/or lean back. All 3 techniques reduce the time each 'piece' of snow is heating up and melting under your skis.
Goes to show, you don't never know
Watch each card you play, and play it slow
Don't you let that deal go down
Don't you let that deal go down

Looks like its going down no matter what I do !!!
asher2789
Double Diamond Skidder

Post by asher2789 »

the goal is to create more friction so a thin layer of snow melts to liquid water under your skis/board. you can get more structure put in your base with a base grind, and you can use wax that has additives that create friction, such as graphite.

im a huge one ball jay fan, i use their graphite rub on, then hot wax a mix of the x wax (fastest line they have) in warm and their summer slush wax which contains graphite and silicone. i then brush it with swix brushes. OBJ reformulated the x wax so the graphite is in the wax instead of rub on before which is disappointing. you can get their waxes at darkside but beware its pricey. i hot wax as needed, usually not more than once a week unless theres a major change in temps that would warrant a new wax or major snowfall. or if im riding a lot of park (sliding boxes and rails removes wax), and i barely rode any park this year...

on days that i anticipate the snow to be extra slow i bring that graphite rub on with me and apply every few runs. i was able to make it out of the canyon to k1 without taking my back foot out for what its worth. also aim for the shadows and anticipate the warm slow sunny spots...
Ski_the_Moguls
Poster Child Poster

Post by Ski_the_Moguls »

asher2789 wrote: Apr 13th, '24, 11:02 the goal is to create more friction so a thin layer of snow melts to liquid water under your skis/board. you can get more structure put in your base with a base grind, and you can use wax that has additives that create friction, such as graphite.

im a huge one ball jay fan, i use their graphite rub on, then hot wax a mix of the x wax (fastest line they have) in warm and their summer slush wax which contains graphite and silicone. i then brush it with swix brushes. OBJ reformulated the x wax so the graphite is in the wax instead of rub on before which is disappointing. you can get their waxes at darkside but beware its pricey. i hot wax as needed, usually not more than once a week unless theres a major change in temps that would warrant a new wax or major snowfall. or if im riding a lot of park (sliding boxes and rails removes wax), and i barely rode any park this year...

on days that i anticipate the snow to be extra slow i bring that graphite rub on with me and apply every few runs. i was able to make it out of the canyon to k1 without taking my back foot out for what its worth. also aim for the shadows and anticipate the warm slow sunny spots...
One does not want to create more friction! What makes it sticky is the suction created by the excess of water in warm conditions. Structure in the ski base helps because it breaks up the suction, reducing friction. Graphite also reduces friction, though mainly by reducing electric static in cold conditions. I do not think it helps much unless you are racing, but it certainly would not hurt. Some say graphite also helps with the dirt in the old spring snow.

One thing I like about the paste wax I mentioned above is that you put on such a thin layer that your base structure is still open and working. Hot waxing initially fills up the structure and requires a lot of work brushing to clear out the structure. You still have to brush out the paste wax after it dries, but it takes much, much less time than brushing out a hot wax.
Dude GFY
Blue Chatterbox

Post by Dude GFY »

Ski_the_Moguls wrote: Apr 12th, '24, 21:01

Lately, I have been using this stuff. Easy to apply and lasts for the whole day (maybe even 2). Seems pricey, but a little goes a long way.
It was that or KY jelly :)
Ski_the_Moguls
Poster Child Poster

Post by Ski_the_Moguls »

Dude GFY wrote: Apr 13th, '24, 12:13

Believe it or not, years ago I actually tried that stuff on skis once. The WD-40, not the KY. :banana: That is when I learned that WD-40 is great for cleaning the wax out of diamond edge sharpening stones as it actually dissolves wax! As for the skis, they pretty much ground to a halt. Luckily no permanent damage as a fresh hot wax brought them right back.
TheLurker
Bumper

Post by TheLurker »

Stone grind?
Dude GFY
Blue Chatterbox

Post by Dude GFY »

Ski_the_Moguls wrote: Apr 13th, '24, 13:28
Dude GFY wrote: Apr 13th, '24, 12:13

Believe it or not, years ago I actually tried that stuff on skis once. The WD-40, not the KY. :banana: That is when I learned that WD-40 is great for cleaning the wax out of diamond edge sharpening stones as it actually dissolves wax! As for the skis, they pretty much ground to a halt. Luckily no permanent damage as a fresh hot wax brought them right back.
10w-30 motor oil then...im starting to run out of suggestions here...
buckethead
Slalom Racer

Post by buckethead »

good to know...i have a structuring file that is very waxed.
before next outing i'll get it cleaned up...and thrn structure those bases!
Ski_the_Moguls
Poster Child Poster

Post by Ski_the_Moguls »

buckethead wrote: Apr 13th, '24, 15:00
Be patient. The small amount on the diamond stones still takes me a couple of minutes to remove with WD-40 and an old toothbrush. I’d imagine a very waxed file will take significantly longer.
Big Bob
Postinator

Post by Big Bob »

Synthetic blend, full synthetic, or dino?
2 hours and 10-minute drive to K
2023/2024 Ski Days: 33 days for the season
Killington: 12/14, 1/4, 1/9, 1/11, 1/17, 1/23, 1/31, 2/5, 2/20, 2/26, 3/4, 3/20, 3/25, 4/2, 4/5
Loon: 11/29, 12/8, 12/21, 1/8, 1/19, 1/22,1/30, 2/7, 2/15, 3/1, 3/8, 3/22, 4/14
Sunday River: 3/12
Sugarloaf: 3/13, 3/14
Cannon:1/15, 2/22
Dude GFY
Blue Chatterbox

Post by Dude GFY »

Big Bob wrote: Apr 13th, '24, 16:04
Synthetic blend, full synthetic, or dino?
Yes