friday 4/12 report

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

skiadikt
Level 10K poster

friday 4/12 report

Post by skiadikt »

didn't ski either day. at this point want sunshine or at least good viz. both in short supply the last 2 days though the sun came out and it was 70 in mendon.

one of my krewe skied as i'm sure LINY did. but looking at the webcams, place was beyond empty. tough break for the mtn. if the mama nature played nice could have been a decent crowd with bear reopening today. instead nada. closed needles & NR early.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
simpletwist
Blue Chatterbox

Re: friday 4/12 report

Post by simpletwist »

I went out for a few afternoon runs. K1 also closed early. Only skied off SPE and SS. At one point getting off SPE I counted 10 people - that was the most I saw at any one time.
LINYbob
Bumper

Post by LINYbob »

Started at the bubble at 9. The two of us were the only ones there at the open. We skied mainly on Snowden as my friend was testing out a new ACL brace. The r*in stopped around 9:30, a few showers from time to time after that. It was enjoyable skiing, nice soft snow, definitely a ghost town.
DES
Slalom Racer

Post by DES »

I wonder what caused the lack of people skiing this spring. Other than Eclipse Monday, there have been long stretches of the day that I didn’t see another skier while at Cannon recently. (was strange to do a few laps under the Zoomer chair and not see anyone, go over to the Peabody chair at the base and no-one is there either, and not bad weather days)
Southside_Bobby
Slalom Racer

Post by Southside_Bobby »

DES wrote: Apr 13th, '24, 07:07 I wonder what caused the lack of people skiing this spring. Other than Eclipse Monday, there have been long stretches of the day that I didn’t see another skier while at Cannon recently. (was strange to do a few laps under the Zoomer chair and not see anyone, go over to the Peabody chair at the base and no-one is there either, and not bad weather days)
It was true pretty much everywhere I have skied since the end of February. There is always a huge drop off in demand post Presidents Week. But this year the drop was definitely more precipitous. All of us die-hards assume great conditions will always bring back the crowds. But for most people, when their season is done, it's done. For whatever reasons, it was done for even more people at the end of February than usual.

My theory is it was the overall crappy season, and the even warmer winter down in the NYC area. When people don't see snow in their back yards down there, many don't turn out up here.

Brian Fairbanks, the owner of Jiminy Peak, has always said, "If I want to know how crowded it's going to be here, I check the weather on Long Island".
2014 - "A South Ridge trail is Pipe Dream. A South Ridge lift shouldn't be."
2019 - "A South Ridge trail is Pipe Dream. A South Ridge lift (operating midweek) shouldn't be."
2023 - Killington announces that the South Ridge lift will run five days a week.
2024 - Killington lied.
fdskier56
Blue Chatterbox

Post by fdskier56 »

Most of my friends in The NYC area
Including skiers
Had no idea that Killington got 8 feet of snow after March 10
DES
Slalom Racer

Post by DES »

One strange thing was Tues March 26th (after the weekend storm, 100% open) brought out a lot of skiers I hadn’t seen much during the season. A handful of times I was offered codes for free or discounted tickets for others (a passholder benefit). I didn’t think of it at the time, but obviously they knew they likely weren’t skiing again.
Captain Hafski
Postaholic

Post by Captain Hafski »

Mid Day Report: Yep, ghostiest ghost town I have ever seen there. Total of 6 cars in Bear parking lot when we left [we were #4]. Went out during the "dry' stretch, but could not avoid mostly piss poor viz with varying degrees of fog everywhere. Surface conditions generall OK but hard to charge when you can't see very well.

Skied 6 or 7 runs at Bear, Needle's Eye and Supe.

Nothing really stood out !
Goes to show, you don't never know
Watch each card you play, and play it slow
Don't you let that deal go down
Don't you let that deal go down

Looks like its going down no matter what I do !!!