Saturday 04/13/2024 Report

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Captain Hafski
Postaholic

Saturday 04/13/2024 Report

Post by Captain Hafski »

Afternoon Report: Like SA posts from time to time, you don't know if you don't go [or something like that.

Was expecting everything to be locked up after the two days of reign and my belief that temps got cold enough to freeze it up. Not the case, at least as high up as Snowdon. Then, at mid-day about 2-3 inches of styrofoam came down that was initially grabby [at least at Snowdon] and the early trails we skied were a mess of snow/slop piles. Then a magical transformation happened for some great skiing last two hours of the day.

Mouse Run OK, with a few patches of "fresh" corn to ski. Mouse Trap very good as well as the lower right cutoff [Lower Mouse] back to K1 that had had like no traffic on it.

LEF was OK but messy, dirty, and a crevice crack to two to watch out for.

Over the back of Supe Skyewalker was great with untracked corn turns. Still OK on Bear Trax, decent down Shorty, and excellent down Lower Skyeburst and even better down Lower Wildfire. Though I didn't ski either of them I gotta believe Upper Wildfire and OL were great.

ROTD: Dream Maker Headwall [posted as Walking Required, and accurate at that] was great, like skiing in 4" of heavy pow, except for the dangerous getting past the rock ledge [about 20 feet of walking on slippery rocks]. Lower Dream Maker very good and then excellent down the final pitch above the pipe with some perfect bumps. Pipe was good as well.

After that, had to try Thimble which had better cover than DM and basically untracked. You really had to trust that the lunar looking surface was skiable. Then very good down Lower Needle's Eye that was lightly trafficked, and good on the right.

Bittersweet was very good with the old HW excellent as well as Low Road.

Suprise of the day was Middle Ovation. Just about perfect after it's haircut a coupla nights ago. Great cover, small bumps forming, and awesome surface to ski on. Lower Supe was more of the same. Well worth a repeat.

Happy Hour with Brian at Baja [empty] then watched a bunch of golf !

Ended up being a great ski day.
Goes to show, you don't never know
Watch each card you play, and play it slow
Don't you let that deal go down
Don't you let that deal go down

Looks like its going down no matter what I do !!!