Closing Schedule for Killington

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Mogulee
Beginner On Rentals

Closing Schedule for Killington

Post by Mogulee »

Hello,

Back in 2018 ( i looked back on my cell phone pictures ), I came up to ski on April 20th with my daughter and the conditions were crazy good. I do not remember any of the lifts being closed around BunnyBuster or K1 area.

Has Killington moved to shut down the snowden area earlier in the last years or do they judge when they close snowden based on the snow conditions ? They were crazy good in 2018 with cold weather and lots of snow pack.

Just curious if going to the resort ownership by a national corporation shortened the season in any way from the past ? I just don't remember skiing and thinking it was the last weekend outside of superstar quad.
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Re: Closing Schedule for Killington

Post by daytripper »

If they were judging by snow conditions they wouldn't be shutting everything down on Monday. When powdr took over they tried to shut down 6 weeks early. It didn't fly then. Solimano took over from NYburg and brought K back to what it's supposed to be. The last few years have gone away from what K is. Not sure if it's solimano or if he is being forced by powdr but it definitely sucks.
Southside_Bobby
Slalom Racer

Post by Southside_Bobby »

In general in the past, they tried to run the K1 gondola till May 1st. In some years, they didn't quite make it, as the very top of Great Northern tends to melt out quickly.

As for Snowdon lifts in late April, it has really varied over the years. Before the bubble was installed, they often shut down in the middle of April, as did Ramshead.

It has only been the last couple of seasons that they seem to be looking to shut down everything but Superstar earlier. Last spring (going to Superstar only on 4/24) didn't have the conditions in late April we do now, but this appears to be their new pattern. The ownership hasn't changed (yet), but their policy clearly has.

We will see if the outcry over shutting down will lead them to offer some kind of "bonus" next weekend. It's possible, and they would benefit from winning a low-expectations game. But I have my doubts. I expect them to be tone-deaf on this. They have pinched a lot of pennies this season. Losing money next weekend, in order to please mostly passholders, isn't something they are likely to do.

It isn't necessarily just the expense of running the lift either. If it is cold enough at night, they also have to groom. Otherwise, none of the terrain will be skiable the next morning. They don't appear to be interested in burning a single gallon of diesel if they don't have to right now. Yesterday, there was basically one decent groomed trail segment on that whole side of the hill. Much of the time in early May, there is still snow in the canyon to hike to. But it often isn't skiable until the afternoon.

I would love to be pleasantly surprised next weekend. Not holding my breath, though.
2014 - "A South Ridge trail is Pipe Dream. A South Ridge lift shouldn't be."
2019 - "A South Ridge trail is Pipe Dream. A South Ridge lift (operating midweek) shouldn't be."
2023 - Killington announces that the South Ridge lift will run five days a week.
2024 - Killington lied.
buckethead
Slalom Racer

Post by buckethead »

speaking of the '6weeks early' past, i remember hiking SS on may1 2010 because the early powdr regime closed everything the previous week. we hiked up sky/bitter to wall-to-wall coverage on supe. to add insult to injury, we were harassed after we skiied by k security, who told us we were tresspassing, and that the local police woukd be pulling people over on the access. our apres plans quashed, we got on the road, and were followed by a cop car for several miles on 100N but were not otherwise harrassed.
Southside_Bobby
Slalom Racer

Post by Southside_Bobby »

buckethead wrote: Apr 19th, '24, 12:38 speaking of the '6weeks early' past, i remember hiking SS on may1 2010 because the early powdr regime closed everything the previous week. we hiked up sky/bitter to wall-to-wall coverage on supe. to add insult to injury, we were harassed after we skiied by k security, who told us we were tresspassing, and that the local police woukd be pulling people over on the access. our apres plans quashed, we got on the road, and were followed by a cop car for several miles on 100N but were not otherwise harrassed.
Those early Powdr years were sad. I spent May 1st 2010 at Jay, skiing the Jet pod. It was fun, but a long way to travel to compensate for Powdr lameness.

Finished 2008 at Mt. Snow at the end of April.
2014 - "A South Ridge trail is Pipe Dream. A South Ridge lift shouldn't be."
2019 - "A South Ridge trail is Pipe Dream. A South Ridge lift (operating midweek) shouldn't be."
2023 - Killington announces that the South Ridge lift will run five days a week.
2024 - Killington lied.
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

Southside_Bobby wrote: Apr 19th, '24, 13:33
buckethead wrote: Apr 19th, '24, 12:38 speaking of the '6weeks early' past, i remember hiking SS on may1 2010 because the early powdr regime closed everything the previous week. we hiked up sky/bitter to wall-to-wall coverage on supe. to add insult to injury, we were harassed after we skiied by k security, who told us we were tresspassing, and that the local police woukd be pulling people over on the access. our apres plans quashed, we got on the road, and were followed by a cop car for several miles on 100N but were not otherwise harrassed.
Those early Powdr years were sad. I spent May 1st 2010 at Jay, skiing the Jet pod. It was fun, but a long way to travel to compensate for Powdr lameness.

there was the whole killington refugee thing at sugarbush. win smith opened us w open arms. there were even t-shirts made.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
MrsG
Whipping Post

Post by MrsG »

skiadikt wrote: Apr 19th, '24, 13:47

there was the whole killington refugee thing at sugarbush. win smith opened us w open arms. there were even t-shirts made.
Remember all you had to do was recognize Win, and you got your pass free for the day🤗. If I had my shirt up here, I would wear it - hmmm, will bring it up before end of May - if we even ski in May🤓
buckethead
Slalom Racer

Post by buckethead »

:smash i

that they were!

i closed that season and the next (or previous) at jay.
a large killington contingency those days, which made it feel like home, but yes, the 4hr ride home was looong.

...and yes i recall doing several closing days at the bush back then on stein's. great terrain but lacking the lift and access-road
party vibe. that damn giant barn cutting off all sitelines from the lot.
Bumper

Post by 180 »

Everyone complaining so much, truth is it's melting fast. Only thing that would really be worth it after this week is the Canyon (K1), which I am sorely disappointed about. They have a great base on SS and May will be great if we get the sun to cooperate.
G-smashed
Official KZone Historian

Post by G-smashed »

skiadikt wrote: Apr 19th, '24, 13:47

2 Refugees.jpg
2 Refugees.jpg (470.97 KiB) Viewed 397 times

Don't Deer Valley Killington!
http://www.myeloma.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.ffrf.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.keithrichards.com/
MrsG
Whipping Post

Post by MrsG »

Yep, thanks to Mrs and MrMoose for the tee shirts🤗