Final Sunday forall but Sup - Apr 21!

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

MrsG
Whipping Post

Final Sunday forall but Sup - Apr 21!

Post by MrsG »

Out at bell on Bubble with one of skiadikt’s posse - skiadikt starting later when soft - looking forward to his report! Morning like winter with sun in and out! Rams, Snowdon, North Ridge closest to sping-like! Sup more like winter! A ton of snow everywhere - sad to see so many lifts close:(
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Re: Final Sunday forall but Sup - Apr 21!

Post by skiadikt »

that waiting for it soften didn't work out so well. zero sun. a leaden grey afternoon that pretty much matched the conditions on the hill. perhaps the early birds got the worms. and yeah both rams & K lots full when i pulled in 11:30ish. didn't wanna shoehorn my car in at K1 so parked at vale. finished just before 2.

had visions of soft bumps. wrong ... not the way i envisioned ending the season on that side of them mtn. since i was there, did a couple at rams and the snow was soft enough. might even call swirl rotd.

in the NR found very little "soft". most everything scraped down to frozen groomer trax base ice. small consolation you could find some snow on the sides. ridge run was wrotd. frozen bumps with sections of base ice. the upper half of cascade was "ok". lower scraped off. decided discretion the better of valor so passed on the double d's.

hit most of the snowdon combos. upper runs soft. trap scraped. lower chute soft bumps. finished out on highline. bumps hard. fine if you stayed in the troughs. passed on supe figuring we'll skiing there for as long as it lasts.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

skiadikt wrote: Apr 21st, '24, 15:30 ... might even call swirl rotd.
If you won't I will. Swirl had the best snow. Edgeable right out of the gate, no base ice. Went shopping but found nothing better. Went back for more.

What a sunshine overcast disappointment. Tomorrow's forecast is for... sunshine. Dare we believe it?
asher2789
Double Diamond Skidder

Post by asher2789 »

was out in the afternoon till close, i had so much fun but im also a fan of sketchy variable snow, brings me back to riding in the poconos when i was a kid...

park was absolute mayhem but fun. very fast but soft and very busy for the last day.
RustyK
Whipping Post

Post by RustyK »

Out at 8:30 with Liv4ski. Cascade on race skis ok. High line meh.

Found SBF and wrotd was northstar. Now called death star. Lots of variable terrain.

K1 lodge warmup for lunch. Gettin tired of winter.

Couple of needles which was better.

Last run on cascade was death defying. Good bay one and yoshi.
Where is Happy Hour ?
Captain Hafski
Postaholic

Post by Captain Hafski »

Afternoon [sort of] report.

1:00'ish one and done on Cascade.

HUGE crowd at Moguls Pig Roast and Sal's retirement party. Many cars parked across the road at Inn of 6 mountains and at Chalet Killington.
Goes to show, you don't never know
Watch each card you play, and play it slow
Don't you let that deal go down
Don't you let that deal go down

Looks like its going down no matter what I do !!!
buckethead
Slalom Racer

Post by buckethead »

what's with NOAA calling for seasonable warmth/sun on days that turned out to be cold, grey, wet??

last monday looked to be sunny until early morning when forecast switched to crap. i skiied that day mostly in thick fog, sleet, drizzle, and 4pm flurries. hero snow made it a great day.

yesterday, sunny morning cam got me stoked for the day i'd hoped for monday. the drive up was cloudy and chilly and so was the day on the hill. (birdman was there, but does he really get to blow the corn horn on such a shitty weather day?)

for my first several runs, the option of thin cover over ugly base ice v. coral reef bumps yielded warmup runs fraught with considerable discomfort. it had all the makings of a shitty day in early december, after a bad temperature cycle.

ran into the hatter crew later in the day on snowden, them having found no good snow yet either. several mouse run/bunny buster to lower chute/mousetrap provided the softest turns of the day. highline was still on the punishing side, so opted to end my day solo on bunny buster. legs cooked, but a wee less mashed. a crap day salvaged by an hour+ of fast runs with a great crew.
Attachments
IMG_6801.jpeg
IMG_6801.jpeg (496.03 KiB) Viewed 303 times
IMG_6804.jpeg
IMG_6804.jpeg (355.93 KiB) Viewed 303 times