"At least for now" Bonus weekend thread

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Grmmtnhkr34
Beginner On Rentals

Re: "At least for now" Bonus weekend thread

Post by Grmmtnhkr34 »

skiadikt wrote: Apr 22nd, '24, 17:11 obviously great news that many of us suspected was in the works. there's certainly enough snow and this past weekend showed there was the demand. the fact that jay & da loaf are running multiple lifts this weekend didn't hurt.

it's win-win for the mtn as it shows they're not totally deaf. the usual whiners will complain about no bubble, NR or rams but with just a little work you can ski all of snowdon and seriously at this point is anyone really jonesin' to ski upper rime and reason.
It isn't that difficult to skate up high traverse to get those sweet upper rime turns. I'm gonna hit powerline 4 sure.
Bumper

Post by 180 »

Just don't groom Downdraft!
snoloco
Tree Psycho

Post by snoloco »

Wish they would've just announced this beforehand. Now everyone was pissed off for nothing. If they were going to pick one lift to run, then K1 serves the most terrain. Not that I'm counting on it, but they have added extra lifts at the last minute in the past. For example, in 2022, it was supposed to only be Ramshead that got the bonus weekend, but then at the last minute, they added Snowdon.
newpylong1
Poster Child Poster

Post by newpylong1 »

I don't get the intentional under promise and over deliver mentality that has seemed to plague the place lately. They have the 10 day forecast the same as everyone else and have to have a good handle on the staffing situation with the reduced footprint. A fairly confident operating plan (like any other area still open) going out a week should not be that much of a stretch.
Crippity
Green Skidder

Post by Crippity »

Since Fridays are basically weekends these days, wish they would open K1 this Friday as well.
G-smashed
Official KZone Historian

Post by G-smashed »

Grmmtnhkr34 wrote: Apr 22nd, '24, 18:25
skiadikt wrote: Apr 22nd, '24, 17:11 obviously great news that many of us suspected was in the works. there's certainly enough snow and this past weekend showed there was the demand. the fact that jay & da loaf are running multiple lifts this weekend didn't hurt.

it's win-win for the mtn as it shows they're not totally deaf. the usual whiners will complain about no bubble, NR or rams but with just a little work you can ski all of snowdon and seriously at this point is anyone really jonesin' to ski upper rime and reason.
It isn't that difficult to skate up high traverse to get those sweet upper rime turns. I'm gonna hit powerline 4 sure.
Get rid of the stupid stairs and reopen Heavenly Traverse!

Don't Deer Valley Killington!
http://www.myeloma.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.ffrf.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.keithrichards.com/
buckethead
Slalom Racer

Post by buckethead »

Crippity wrote: Apr 23rd, '24, 07:06 Since Fridays are basically weekends these days, wish they would open K1 this Friday as well.
seriously!
i was counting on k1 friday - until i saw your post.
jeez, at least run SS til 5 on friday then.
Crippity
Green Skidder

Post by Crippity »

yup, i am thinking of going to Jay friday now and then back to K for Saturday. Alot of extra driving. if they had K1 or to your point SS to 5 that alone would prob persuade me.
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

snoloco wrote: Apr 23rd, '24, 06:32 Wish they would've just announced this beforehand. Now everyone was pissed off for nothing. If they were going to pick one lift to run, then K1 serves the most terrain. Not that I'm counting on it, but they have added extra lifts at the last minute in the past. For example, in 2022, it was supposed to only be Ramshead that got the bonus weekend, but then at the last minute, they added Snowdon.
happy for you. glad you still found something to complain about. kzone wouldn't be the same w/o a snoloco whine even if it's about a good thing. maybe next year they won't do the "bonus" weekend thing so you can be pissed off "for something". can't make this up.

and yeah disappointed by the initial announcement, but most of us believed they would come around and do the "bonus". and maybe they are playing a bit of the underpromise/overdeliver game. on the other hand they've been burned by so many bad weather weekends, they wanted to be absolutely sure about the weather plus bookings/ticket sales played a part. guessing this past weekends big turnout pushed them over the edge. also perhaps by announcing last weekend as the "closing" weekend for a number of lifts they got a larger than expected turnout.

as others have said, if there's one thing to be disappointed about is that they're not running the K1 friday.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
buckethead
Slalom Racer

Post by buckethead »

wasn't somebody on this thread involved with getting us a K1 encore?

maybe we can make it a three song encore...call mike!
Crippity
Green Skidder

Post by Crippity »

sorry i know this was posted somewhere but i cant find it. When does superstar goto just weekends? After next week? TKS
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

Crippity wrote: Apr 23rd, '24, 15:25 sorry i know this was posted somewhere but i cant find it. When does superstar goto just weekends? After next week? TKS
haven't seen it posted anywhere. last year they did close on tuesday may 2 and reopened friday may 5. don't quote me but someone told me they'd run daily through sunday may 5. we shall see ...
Last edited by skiadikt on Apr 23rd, '24, 15:58, edited 1 time in total.
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

fwiw in a post on killington locals someone asked if there was any chance the K1 would run the may 4-5 weekend and the answer was "Highly unlikely, but stranger things have happened." and to another question asking NR too for this weekend? they responded "At this point, we are planning on it just being K-1 for the bonus weekend." the operative word "being at this point".

not holding my breath on either but ...
buckethead
Slalom Racer

Post by buckethead »

skiadikt wrote: Apr 23rd, '24, 15:35
Crippity wrote: Apr 23rd, '24, 15:25 sorry i know this was posted somewhere but i cant find it. When does superstar goto just weekends? After next week? TKS
haven't seen it posted anywhere. last year they did close on tuesday may 2 and reopened friday may 5. don't quote me but someone told me they'd run daily through sunday may 5. we shall see ...
i heard the same thing on the hill sunday. i figured they might open weds may 1 and then go to the 3-day weekend starting friday.
maybe with may 1 smack in the middle of the week it's easier (cheaper) to just stay open.
snoloco
Tree Psycho

Post by snoloco »

People are also asking about the peace park, but I think the features have already been taken down. Missed opportunity to keep it going 2-3 more weekends, even if it was not connected to other terrain. It got pretty crowded on Sunday, despite subpar weather. All the park rats across the Northeast who's home mountains closed weeks ago could've been spring pass buyers.

As for North Ridge, traditionally 3 lifts have run the last weekend before it goes down to just Superstar. If the weather is nice, then they'd definitely have the turnout to support 3 lifts. Could be North Ridge or Snowdon, but I wouldn't count on either.

Next week looks pretty warm, so I'm not sure what the coverage situation will be. I wouldn't count on another bonus weekend, but I'd say if there's enough snow and the weather looks nice, then they should go for it.