"At least for now" Bonus weekend thread

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Southside_Bobby
Slalom Racer

"At least for now" Bonus weekend thread

Post by Southside_Bobby »

Oh Killington, you do like to play it cute.

As I said, they get to win the game of low expectations.

Which lift (s) should they reopen? Which lift (s) WILL they reopen?

Let the speculation begin!
2014 - "A South Ridge trail is Pipe Dream. A South Ridge lift shouldn't be."
2019 - "A South Ridge trail is Pipe Dream. A South Ridge lift (operating midweek) shouldn't be."
2023 - Killington announces that the South Ridge lift will run five days a week.
2024 - Killington lied.
MrsG
Whipping Post

Re: "At least for now" Bonus weekend thread

Post by MrsG »

Bubble, Northridge and Rams!
snoloco
Tree Psycho

Post by snoloco »

Not that it will actually happen, but everything that was open this weekend. There's plenty of snow, and they had good turnout this weekend. If the weather is better next weekend, then even more people will probably show up. I would've done K1 and Snowdon midweek, and Friday-Sunday for North Ridge and Ramshead.

For Ramshead in particular, I think there's untapped potential to keep that open weekends only into early May, even if it isn't connected to Superstar, and market it as the last terrain park open in the east. It was busy there today, and the lift actually had a line for much of the afternoon. They'd need to keep the lodge cafeteria open, or put the beastro trailer down there so that there's another way to make money.
G-smashed
Official KZone Historian

Post by G-smashed »

They will open none of it and you will be expected to get on your knees and thank them for their infinite wisdom. Nybergism lives!

Don't Deer Valley Killington!
http://www.myeloma.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.ffrf.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.keithrichards.com/
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

first of all, they've left the door open but the chickens haven't come home yet.

as i've said, think weather and advanced bookings are gonna be the determining factors. the sooner they announce (if indeed they decide to go ahead and run additional lifts), the better they can market it. we'll see ...
spoiled South American skiin' whore
asher2789
Double Diamond Skidder

Post by asher2789 »

snoloco wrote: Apr 21st, '24, 17:29 Not that it will actually happen, but everything that was open this weekend. There's plenty of snow, and they had good turnout this weekend. If the weather is better next weekend, then even more people will probably show up. I would've done K1 and Snowdon midweek, and Friday-Sunday for North Ridge and Ramshead.

For Ramshead in particular, I think there's untapped potential to keep that open weekends only into early May, even if it isn't connected to Superstar, and market it as the last terrain park open in the east. It was busy there today, and the lift actually had a line for much of the afternoon. They'd need to keep the lodge cafeteria open, or put the beastro trailer down there so that there's another way to make money.
this is what they should do, the demand is there, and park rats across the north east whose mountains shut down weeks ago will buy spring passes next year if they can count on there being a sizable park late season (more than bottom of skyehawk but im grateful to have that this late...). theyre diehards just like bump skiers are who travel 8 hours just to crush bumps on superstar...
G-smashed wrote: Apr 21st, '24, 18:22 They will open none of it and you will be expected to get on your knees and thank them for their infinite wisdom. Nybergism lives!
this is what i've come to expect this strange season...
Southside_Bobby
Slalom Racer

Post by Southside_Bobby »

skiadikt wrote: Apr 21st, '24, 18:53 first of all, they've left the door open but the chickens haven't come home yet.

as i've said, think weather and advanced bookings are gonna be the determining factors. the sooner they announce (if indeed they decide to go ahead and run additional lifts), the better they can market it. we'll see ...
Weather would definitely be a determining factor for which lift (s) to run.

I don't think they want to do a lot of farming for this. Remember how they stitched together the DD/Runout run for us in April last year? I don't think we will see anything like that. If the top of Great Northern holds out this week on its own, I think they're gonna run just the K1. If not, who knows.

Caper wasn't looking great by the end of the weekend. Plenty of snow to farm, but again I don't think they're gonna do that. They obviously could run Rams as a separate pod. But I don't think they will.

Overnight temps look good this week for snow preservation, but if the overnights aren't warm enough next weekend, the surface overall may not exactly be spring-like. Still, if they run the K1, I will be thankful for what there is.
2014 - "A South Ridge trail is Pipe Dream. A South Ridge lift shouldn't be."
2019 - "A South Ridge trail is Pipe Dream. A South Ridge lift (operating midweek) shouldn't be."
2023 - Killington announces that the South Ridge lift will run five days a week.
2024 - Killington lied.
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

they had a really good crowd this past weekend. obviously there were some events that brought folks out in not so good weather. forecast looking great for fri & sat. sun variable. so do think if they feel there'll be fannies in the seats, they'll run at least one lift - most likely K1. some were talking about the triple and NR instead. don't see that. less likely would be ramshead. we'll probably know end of day wednesday.
MrsG
Whipping Post

Post by MrsG »

Need Rams for the park even if run as a separate pod - so much snow in there, and in great shape for those that partake! The added bonus is Swirl, Caper (farm if needed) and Easy Street to keep those that do not belong on the Sup pod happy! Just some more observations;)
Grmmtnhkr34
Beginner On Rentals

Post by Grmmtnhkr34 »

They were doing line work on k1 today. Might be the triple to NRQ...
Dude GFY
Blue Chatterbox

Post by Dude GFY »

Southside_Bobby wrote: Apr 21st, '24, 17:23 Oh Killington, you do like to play it cute.

As I said, they get to win the game of low expectations.

Which lift (s) should they reopen? Which lift (s) WILL they reopen?

Let the speculation begin!
Skyship!!!
Grmmtnhkr34
Beginner On Rentals

Post by Grmmtnhkr34 »

It's official on the site. K1 this weekend.
MrsG
Whipping Post

Post by MrsG »

Yep🤗
“This just in. K-1 Express Gondola will open for a bonus weekend this Saturday and Sunday, April 27-28 from 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. (Superstar will stay open until 5:00 p.m. on Sat., 4/27). Get those last runs of the season in from 4241’ before it’s time to start biking off the top.”
Spyderman
Bumper

Post by Spyderman »

Sound the Trumps! Great news for next Sat. & Sun.
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

obviously great news that many of us suspected was in the works. there's certainly enough snow and this past weekend showed there was the demand. the fact that jay & da loaf are running multiple lifts this weekend didn't hurt.

it's win-win for the mtn as it shows they're not totally deaf. the usual whiners will complain about no bubble, NR or rams but with just a little work you can ski all of snowdon and seriously at this point is anyone really jonesin' to ski upper rime and reason.