Preston's pitch?

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

my poor knees
Green Skidder

Preston's pitch?

Post by my poor knees »

Does anyone have a picture of where exactly Prestons pitch is? I think/know it's on or near S.S but don't know exactly where.
GSKI
Powderhound

Re: Preston's pitch?

Post by GSKI »

Skiers left of lower Superstar. I believe it is the old Superstar line before the chair was installed and the trail widened and reconfigured.
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

It's the lower headwall, it didn't exist (the name) until the world cup started and NBC started calling it that.
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

it's the lower steep section of superstar that starts just after the middle ovation exit. and yeah, the world cup broadcasters to provide color for their commentary referred to it as "preston's pitch" named after killington founder - preston pitch. probably some producer or writer came up with it. the name has stuck.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
my poor knees
Green Skidder

Post by my poor knees »

Thanks Skiadikt, I think I understand that description. So if I understand, it's where middle ovation ends right before lower ovation where you ski out to the right to get to S.S. From there to the bottom is P.P. I always thought it was the section to skiers left towards the bottom that's usually roped off, where I usually duck under to get speed to the K1. Now I know why I don't see it on the maps.
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

It's not on the maps because it's not an official name, it's just a nickname given to lower superstar by NBC. No different than the mixing bowl and bowling alley on Snowdon.
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

my poor knees wrote: Apr 30th, '24, 08:05 Thanks Skiadikt, I think I understand that description. So if I understand, it's where middle ovation ends right before lower ovation where you ski out to the right to get to S.S. From there to the bottom is P.P. I always thought it was the section to skiers left towards the bottom that's usually roped off, where I usually duck under to get speed to the K1. Now I know why I don't see it on the maps.
i like that section under the lift a lot but the racers don't ski there so it's the main part of the trail where the race is held.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
newpylong1
Poster Child Poster

Post by newpylong1 »

Untitled.png
Untitled.png (1.74 MiB) Viewed 800 times
Simple as that.
Skid Mark
Blue Chatterbox

Post by Skid Mark »

Actually, Preston Smith played triple A baseball for the Pawtucket Red Sox. He was a pitcher with a mean slider that became known as "Preston's Pitch".
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Post by hillbangin »

daytripper wrote:It's the lower headwall, it didn't exist (the name) until the world cup started and NBC started calling it that.
There are NO headwalls at Killington!

Sent from my SM-S906U1 using Tapatalk

Big Bob
Postinator

Post by Big Bob »

hillbangin wrote: Apr 30th, '24, 09:08
daytripper wrote:It's the lower headwall, it didn't exist (the name) until the world cup started and NBC started calling it that.

Any intell on what happened to Humpty? Did he fall of the wall?
2 hours and 10-minute drive to K
2023/2024 Ski Days: 33 days for the season
Killington: 12/14, 1/4, 1/9, 1/11, 1/17, 1/23, 1/31, 2/5, 2/20, 2/26, 3/4, 3/20, 3/25, 4/2, 4/5
Loon: 11/29, 12/8, 12/21, 1/8, 1/19, 1/22,1/30, 2/7, 2/15, 3/1, 3/8, 3/22, 4/14
Sunday River: 3/12
Sugarloaf: 3/13, 3/14
Cannon:1/15, 2/22
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

Preston's Pitch is the very first proposal to Joe Sargeant to get financing to build Killington in the 50s.
twilkas
Tree Psycho

Post by twilkas »

Mister Moose wrote: Apr 30th, '24, 18:25 Preston's Pitch is the very first proposal to Joe Sargeant to get financing to build Killington in the 50s.
Was going to reply to Skid Mark that he was just making stuff up for fun, but you've covered it here just fine. :lol:
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Post by hillbangin »

Big Bob wrote: Apr 30th, '24, 17:00
hillbangin wrote: Apr 30th, '24, 09:08

Any intell on what happened to Humpty? Did he fall of the wall?
Last post End of 2021 - board is not as entertaining as it used to be.
asher2789
Double Diamond Skidder

Post by asher2789 »

my poor knees wrote: Apr 30th, '24, 08:05 Thanks Skiadikt, I think I understand that description. So if I understand, it's where middle ovation ends right before lower ovation where you ski out to the right to get to S.S. From there to the bottom is P.P. I always thought it was the section to skiers left towards the bottom that's usually roped off, where I usually duck under to get speed to the K1. Now I know why I don't see it on the maps.
its the last steep pitch of superstar where it traditionally melts out into an S. after the exit from middle ovation to the flatter part before exiting to the lift. its been regraded and mellowed out from its natural shape at request of FIS for world cup. i think they did the regrade the second year, the name was coined the first year of world cup by TV announcers.