What book are you currently reading?

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

lifeisgood
Bumper

Re: What book are you currently reading?

Post by lifeisgood »

Just finished "The Lost Symbol" by Dan Brown. Couldn't put it down, it was as good as his other books. May move on to "Inferno" next, I heard that was a good one, too.
Do what you like.
Like what you do.
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

lifeisgood wrote:Just finished "The Lost Symbol" by Dan Brown. Couldn't put it down, it was as good as his other books. May move on to "Inferno" next, I heard that was a good one, too.
I have both of those books on my shelf but they will have to wait to be read.
f.a.s.t.
Wanted Poster

Post by f.a.s.t. »

Not really a book, but The Journal of the New England Ski Museum, Summer 2014 edition-issue 93. Great stories about Dartmouth graduates that have contributed in so many ways to the ski industry, ski racing and ski culture from the beginning of skiing. It includes a paragraph about Paul Bousquet, his family owned the Bousquet ski area in Mass.

"Bousquet became Killington's first general manager and vice president from 1959 until 1967, a period of
tremendous growth under its founder, Preston Smith."

Anyone interested in the history of skiing should join the New England Ski Museum. A single membership starts at $35 a year. The vey well produced and written quarterly journals are well worth the membership price. I read these journals from cover to cover, they are that good.

http://newenglandskimuseum.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
!!!!!!!!!! MAKE AMERICA LOVE AGAIN !!!!!!!!!!
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

So, since this is summer when many people spend time reading while taking time off, I thought I would resurrect his thread to see what folks have been reading. I just recently finished The Wright Brothers by David McCullough and I'm currently reading John Meacham's biography of George H. W. Bush, Destiny and Power.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Post by SnoBrdr »

Bubba wrote:So, since this is summer when many people spend time reading while taking time off, I thought I would resurrect his thread to see what folks have been reading. I just recently finished The Wright Brothers by David McCullough and I'm currently reading John Meacham's biography of George H. W. Bush, Destiny and Power.
Recently finished rereading all of Cornelius Ryan's WW2 books.

Star-Spangled Mikado. – with Frank Kelley. – New York City:: R.M. McBride. OCLC 1142015
MacArthur: Man of Action. –
One Minute to Ditch!. –
The Longest Day: 6 June 1944 D-Day. –
The Last Battle.
A Bridge Too Far.
A Private Battle

Much easier reading the e-books.
Beware of fools & trolls here, they lurk everywhere.
freeski
Post Office

Post by freeski »

Yearbook of Agriculture 1949-Trees. Some of the information is dated. For example, getting rid of pests by spraying #2 fuel oil mixed with DDT. Much better read than Yearbook of Agriculture 1948-Grass.
I Belong A Long Way From Here.
brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

Being Mortal by Atul Gawande :like
Whiskey Tango Foxtrot was good also.

:Toast
Forever .. Goat Path
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

Currently reading "Nerve Center" by Dale Brown and Jim DeFelice. It's not an easy book to follow as each character has a name and a nickname and it gets confusing at times. I'm almost 1/2 way through it.
skixc2
Black Carver

Post by skixc2 »

Last of the Mohicans - James Fenimore Cooper
(That's for all you New Yorkers out there...)
Raise 'Em Jay
lifeisgood
Bumper

Post by lifeisgood »

Continuing the alphabet this summer, where I left off a few years back...
Attachments
tisfortrespass-pb.jpg
tisfortrespass-pb.jpg (11.79 KiB) Viewed 768 times
Do what you like.
Like what you do.
ANGUS
Slalom Racer

Post by ANGUS »

BEHOLD A PALE HORSE by William Cooper. Every bunker should be equipped with a copy. I probably wouldn't buy it on amazon if you don't want your name on a government list. Always pay cash and support your local book store. Its so nice that K town has a summer reading program.
Attachments
51nl69J+-PL._SX332_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
51nl69J+-PL._SX332_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (45.92 KiB) Viewed 733 times
autograph guy
Green Skidder

Post by autograph guy »

End of Watch by Stephen King. The last of the trilogy (Mr. Mercedes & Finder Keepers, were the other two in the triology)
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Summer reading time again. I just finished Sisters in Law, a joint biography of Sandra Day O'Connor and Ruth Bader Ginsburg, focused on major women's rights cases that went to the Court both before and during their time on the Supreme Court. Now well into A Dog's Purpose, which has me both laughing and in tears since we had to put our dog Jazzy down about 5 months ago.

Killington Zone
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
killyfan
Blue Chatterbox

Post by killyfan »

"A Sand County Almanac" by Aldo Leopold. Skimmed it a few years ago at Mr. Killy's insistence, but am reading with gusto now...

P.S. Bubba - sorry to hear about your dog. We lost our 13 year old dog about 2 years ago - still not ready for another one, but we are getting close.
In a world where you can be anything, why not choose to be kind...
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

killyfan wrote:"A Sand County Almanac" by Aldo Leopold. Skimmed it a few years ago at Mr. Killy's insistence, but am reading with gusto now...

P.S. Bubba - sorry to hear about your dog. We lost our 13 year old dog about 2 years ago - still not ready for another one, but we are getting close.
Thanks. Jazzy was somewhere over 13, a rescued black lab of indeterminate age, who we only knew was around 2 when adopted. Reading A Dog's Purpose is emotional, to say the least.

Killington Zone
but you can never leave

F. Scott Fitzgerald