What book are you currently reading?

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Re: What book are you currently reading?

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

The Splendid and the Vile: A Saga of Churchill, Family, and Defiance During the Blitz by Erik Larson
Skivt2
Bumper

Post by Skivt2 »

Russian roulette. The inside story on Putin’s war on America
ANGUS
Slalom Racer

Post by ANGUS »

Instant legends from the rock pile: Vincent, Lee I have it almost memorized by now.
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

I have 20 more pages to read of "Dead or Alive" by Tom Clancy with Grant Blackwood. It has a lot of the characters from previous books by Clancy including Jack Ryan.
KingsFourMan
Postaholic

Post by KingsFourMan »

I finished this book a while ago and may have posted this already but it's worth a repeat. Amazing book about how FDR mobilized a nation and how the Ford Motor Company built the largest plant in the word to produce heavy bombers which ultimately produced a bomber an hour. They shot our panes down left and right flown by inexperienced pilots that rarely survived their tour of duty but they just kept coming. We simply out produced them to win that war.

The Arsenal of Democracy : FDR, Detroit, and an Epic Quest to Arm an America at War

A dramatic, intimate narrative of how Ford Motor Company went from making automobiles to producing the airplanes that would mean the difference between winning and losing World War II.

In 1941, as Hitler’s threat loomed ever larger, President Roosevelt realized he needed weaponry to fight the Nazis—most important, airplanes—and he needed them fast. So he turned to Detroit and the auto industry for help.

The Arsenal of Democracy tells the incredible story of how Detroit answered the call, centering on Henry Ford and his tortured son Edsel, who, when asked if they could deliver 50,000 airplanes, made an outrageous claim: Ford Motor Company would erect a plant that could yield a “bomber an hour.” Critics scoffed: Ford didn’t make planes; they made simple, affordable cars. But bucking his father’s resistance, Edsel charged ahead. Ford would apply assembly-line production to the American military’s largest, fastest, most destructive bomber; they would build a plant vast in size and ambition on a plot of farmland and call it Willow Run; they would bring in tens of thousands of workers from across the country, transforming Detroit, almost overnight, from Motor City to the “great arsenal of democracy.” And eventually they would help the Allies win the war.

Drawing on exhaustive research from the Ford Archives, the National Archives, and the FDR Library, A. J. Baime has crafted an enthralling, character-driven narrative of American innovation that has never been fully told, leaving readers with a vivid new portrait of America—and Detroit—during the war.
Don't fly Mr. Bluebird, I'm just walking down the road......
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

KingsFourMan wrote: Sep 17th, '20, 21:20A dramatic, intimate narrative of how Ford Motor Company went from making automobiles to producing the airplanes that would mean the difference between winning and losing World War II.
It's interesting how many events in WWII are characterized as making the difference in winning the war. D-Day, the Mustang, Iwo Jima, the atomic bomb and more.
KingsFourMan wrote: Sep 17th, '20, 21:20Critics scoffed: Ford didn’t make planes; they made simple, affordable cars.
Apparently the critics never heard of the Ford Tri-motor, which set the standard in its day.

Sounds like an interesting book, I'll put it on my list.
lifeisgood
Bumper

Post by lifeisgood »

actionpark.jpg
actionpark.jpg (312.3 KiB) Viewed 578 times
Don't know why the picture is on its side, but I just finished this and it was a great read...I highly recommend it.
Do what you like.
Like what you do.
Nikoli
Poster Child Poster

Post by Nikoli »

Greatest water park of all time! I have many fond memories of nearly dying there!
And the sea will grant each man new hope . . .
-Christopher Columbus
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

Nikoli wrote: Sep 18th, '20, 13:14 Greatest water park of all time! I have many fond memories of nearly dying there!
I miss alpine slides!
Nikoli
Poster Child Poster

Post by Nikoli »

daytripper wrote: Sep 18th, '20, 14:13
Nikoli wrote: Sep 18th, '20, 13:14 Greatest water park of all time! I have many fond memories of nearly dying there!
I miss alpine slides!
Doesn’t Bromley still have one? A remember going there a few years back and they still had it going. Pico had a great one if I remember correctly but it’s long gone.
And the sea will grant each man new hope . . .
-Christopher Columbus
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

I'm currently reading "A Painted House" by John Grisham.
filejw
Green Skidder

Post by filejw »

RED FLAGS by George Magnus......store about Chinas XI's problems///
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

About to start Rage by Bob Woodward.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
skixc2
Black Carver

Post by skixc2 »

Nikoli wrote: Sep 18th, '20, 15:26
daytripper wrote: Sep 18th, '20, 14:13
I miss alpine slides!
Doesn’t Bromley still have one? A remember going there a few years back and they still had it going. Pico had a great one if I remember correctly but it’s long gone.
Attitash still has one in operation.

More on topic, currently reading "Lost Ski Areas of the Bershires" by Jeremy Davis of NELSAP fame.
Raise 'Em Jay