What book are you currently reading?

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Geoff
Whipping Post

Post by Geoff »

I have this real page-turner sitting on my desk:

The 3G IP Multimedia Subsystem (IMS): Merging the Internet and the Cellular Worlds

If you feel the compelling need to know a bunch of useless acronyms like P-CSCF, S-CSCF, or HSS, this is the book for you.
Hey Jude
Black Carver

Post by Hey Jude »

Simple summer reading:
Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West by Gregory Maguire
Girly, tough is not enough!
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Re: Good Read

Post by tyrolean_skier »

Bella wrote:
tyrolean_skier wrote:
Bella wrote:If anyone is interested in Psychology, "The Minds of Billy Miligan" is an excellent book to check out!
Bella nice to see you back in here. How's life in Killington treating you?
It's treating me okay....the weather has been funky though. How is everything with you?
Things down here in the flatlands are going OK. We are starting to enjoy the boat. Hopefully, it will be as nice weather this coming weekend as it is today down here; although, we probably won't be doing the boat thing since the Snow Princess has a birthday party to attend in the middle of each day of the weekend.
snowsprite
Post Office

Post by snowsprite »

Good thing you're going skiing this summer, man!
:wink:
Sprite
Geoff wrote:I have this real page-turner sitting on my desk:

The 3G IP Multimedia Subsystem (IMS): Merging the Internet and the Cellular Worlds

If you feel the compelling need to know a bunch of useless acronyms like P-CSCF, S-CSCF, or HSS, this is the book for you.
I like wine.
Bella
Green Skidder

Post by Bella »

tyrolean_skier wrote:
Bella wrote:
tyrolean_skier wrote:
Bella wrote:If anyone is interested in Psychology, "The Minds of Billy Miligan" is an excellent book to check out!
It's treating me okay....the weather has been funky though. How is everything with you?
Things down here in the flatlands are going OK. We are starting to enjoy the boat. Hopefully, it will be as nice weather this coming weekend as it is today down here; although, we probably won't be doing the boat thing since the Snow Princess has a birthday party to attend in the middle of each day of the weekend.
Must be nice to be out on the water on a nice day! I would take that anyday instead of being cooped up in a hot office.
Snowjob
Poster Child Poster

Post by Snowjob »

Vinny Vincenzo wrote:
Snowjob wrote:I'm almost done now with Sophie's Choice and today I picked up "The Shipping News" by E. Annie Proulx and "Ironweed" by William Kennedy. Both won the Pulitzer Prize for Fiction.
You will like Ironweed. It's a trilogy. There's also LEGS and BILLY PHELAN'S GREATEST GAME. They all take place in Albany, NY. I walk the streets mentioned in those books everyday. It's pretty cool. Kennedy is a very good writer. He submitted Ironweed to 13 publishers before he was able to get one to publish it.
It's a trilogy? I had no idea. Is Ironweed the first in the series? Have you read all three?

13 publishers and then he wins a Pulizer Prize - can you beat that. I guess the sad part is I haven't really heard of the author or the book until I got the suggestion. Seems like there's a whole world of great books I don't even know about.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

I tried smoking ironweed once but it didn't burn well and was really tough on my lungs.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Snowjob
Poster Child Poster

Post by Snowjob »

:o

Funny
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

Bella wrote:
tyrolean_skier wrote:
Bella wrote:
tyrolean_skier wrote:
Must be nice to be out on the water on a nice day! I would take that anyday instead of being cooped up in a hot office.
So would I. However, Monday-Friday I do sit in an office. Luckily my office is air conditioned. The boat is only for the weekends so whether or not we can go out depends on the weather.
skiladi
Double Diamond Skidder

Post by skiladi »

Bling Skier wrote:Theese :?: are a good read is :?: you can understan :?: the minds of liberals....
http://www.humaneventsonline.com/article.php?id=7591

yes i will put them on my list of
"Books To Read"
Makes sense. I'll get right on it , Bling. :roll:
MarieM
Post Office

Post by MarieM »

BigKahuna13 wrote:
snowsprite wrote:
RJSVermont wrote:the only thing I didn't like was explaining to so many people that it's not really a book about how to literally fix motorcycles.
LOL...Good one RJS!

Sprite
He's not kidding. A dimbulb, luddite at work, who also happens to be a friend, saw the book on my desk and said "Gimme a effin' break. Zen can't help you fix motorcycles better". Tossed his ass right out :)
I think you should challenge all of us to define "luddite" without the use of google, yahoo, dogpile, or any primary, published resources. Except for your use of "dimbulb" and using that context - in the immortal words of Kramer - "I'm out!"

PS - I have a whole list of good books I'm actually reading or planning to read...but in-between the "approved" books I have several "bodice-rippers" ready to roll!!
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

MarieM wrote:
BigKahuna13 wrote:
snowsprite wrote:
RJSVermont wrote:the only thing I didn't like was explaining to so many people that it's not really a book about how to literally fix motorcycles.
LOL...Good one RJS!

Sprite
He's not kidding. A dimbulb, luddite at work, who also happens to be a friend, saw the book on my desk and said "Gimme a effin' break. Zen can't help you fix motorcycles better". Tossed his ass right out :)
I think you should challenge all of us to define "luddite" without the use of google, yahoo, dogpile, or any primary, published resources. Except for your use of "dimbulb" and using that context - in the immortal words of Kramer - "I'm out!"

PS - I have a whole list of good books I'm actually reading or planning to read...but in-between the "approved" books I have several "bodice-rippers" ready to roll!!
Marie I also read one of those trashy novels in between the more serious books.
MarieM
Post Office

Post by MarieM »

tyrolean_skier wrote:
MarieM wrote:
BigKahuna13 wrote:
snowsprite wrote:
LOL...Good one RJS!

Sprite

Keeps life interesting, doesn't it?? : - )
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

MarieM wrote:
tyrolean_skier wrote:
MarieM wrote:
BigKahuna13 wrote:
snowsprite wrote: LOL...Good one RJS!

Sprite

Keeps life interesting, doesn't it?? : - )
Do you have a favorite thrashy novel writer?
BigKahuna13
Site Admin

Post by BigKahuna13 »

MarieM wrote:
BigKahuna13 wrote:
snowsprite wrote:
LOL...Good one RJS!

Sprite

Eh, Luddite's an easy one, though it really wasn't accurate for the person in question - we do work for a technology company after all.

Bodice rippers are okay, s'long as they got pictures and at least a 3 to 1 female to male ratio. Picture's worth a thousand words right

:wink:
What is not possible is not to choose. ~Jean-Paul Sartre