What book are you currently reading?

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

MarieM
Post Office

Post by MarieM »

tyrolean_skier wrote:Do you have a favorite thrashy novel writer?
I get my trashy novels from my sister-in-law. She doesn't work and spends her summer on the dock reading them. So I'm not sure about authors. I just finished one by Nora Roberts that was fun, and I think one of the other authors that's like a dessert treat is Debbie Macomber.

I also like Anne Rivers Siddons and Rosamunde Pilcher. Their stuff is not trashy, but is definitely "chick" material. Anita Shreve is another author I like.
nancie2k
Slalom Racer

Post by nancie2k »

i enjoyed the janet evanovich books with the main character being a female bounty hunter in nj- first one is "one for the money"
Last edited by nancie2k on Jun 23rd, '05, 17:00, edited 1 time in total.
it is better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it :)
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

MarieM wrote:
tyrolean_skier wrote:Do you have a favorite thrashy novel writer?
I get my trashy novels from my sister-in-law. She doesn't work and spends her summer on the dock reading them. So I'm not sure about authors. I just finished one by Nora Roberts that was fun, and I think one of the other authors that's like a dessert treat is Debbie Macomber.

I also like Anne Rivers Siddons and Rosamunde Pilcher. Their stuff is not trashy, but is definitely "chick" material. Anita Shreve is another author I like.
Out of all those authors, Nora Roberts is my least favorite. I read a book by her about a year ago that had absolutely no substance and I got turned off from reading any more books by her. Maybe I should give her another chance.
Bella
Green Skidder

Re: Good Read

Post by Bella »

tyrolean_skier wrote:
Bella wrote:
tyrolean_skier wrote:
Bella wrote:
tyrolean_skier wrote: Bella nice to see you back in here. How's life in Killington treating you?
It's treating me okay....the weather has been funky though. How is everything with you?
Things down here in the flatlands are going OK. We are starting to enjoy the boat. Hopefully, it will be as nice weather this coming weekend as it is today down here; although, we probably won't be doing the boat thing since the Snow Princess has a birthday party to attend in the middle of each day of the weekend.
Must be nice to be out on the water on a nice day! I would take that anyday instead of being cooped up in a hot office.
So would I. However, Monday-Friday I do sit in an office. Luckily my office is air conditioned. The boat is only for the weekends so whether or not we can go out depends on the weather.
Who is the Snow Princess you referred to earlier? I have a princess in my life to...she's two and becoming quite the sassy lady.
Snowjob
Poster Child Poster

Post by Snowjob »

So now I know what Sophie's choice was, and I'm 1/4 way into Iron Weed.

Both books seem pre-occupied with death. I think Styron's vocabulary is enormous, and I liked the way he wrote, but all this death and destruction is not much fun.

I didn't realize Iron Weed also seems to be about death. I'll give it a chance.
yeti
Powderhound

Post by yeti »

I read three books this week:

The Peace War - Wernor Vinge
Darwins Radio - Greg Bear
An aviator's field book: Being the field reports of Oswald Boelcke, from August 1, 1914 to October 28, 1916 (and Dicta Boelcke) - Oswald Boelcke
Thanks for the mammaries! (.)(.)
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

Bella wrote:
tyrolean_skier wrote:
Bella wrote:
tyrolean_skier wrote:
Bella wrote: It's treating me okay....the weather has been funky though. How is everything with you?
Things down here in the flatlands are going OK. We are starting to enjoy the boat. Hopefully, it will be as nice weather this coming weekend as it is today down here; although, we probably won't be doing the boat thing since the Snow Princess has a birthday party to attend in the middle of each day of the weekend.
Must be nice to be out on the water on a nice day! I would take that anyday instead of being cooped up in a hot office.
So would I. However, Monday-Friday I do sit in an office. Luckily my office is air conditioned. The boat is only for the weekends so whether or not we can go out depends on the weather.
Who is the Snow Princess you referred to earlier? I have a princess in my life to...she's two and becoming quite the sassy lady.
The Snow Princess is my 4 years old daughter's moniker in this chat room and she is definitely sassy. She has become a pretty good skier in the two years she has been skiing and this spring tackled trails like Superstar and Valley Plunge to keep up with her older brother. Who is your princess?
Skibumtress
Whipping Post

Post by Skibumtress »

tyrolean_skier wrote: The Snow Princess is my 4 years old daughter's moniker in this chat room and she is definitely sassy. She has become a pretty good skier in the two years she has been skiing and this spring tackled trails like Superstar and Valley Plunge to keep up with her older brother. Who is your princess?
SnowPrincess has become a GREAT skier this year (IceMan better watch out). I can't get over the progess she's made since last year (you and Dork should be proud). However, after seeing her ski this year, I think her monikor should be changed to WiggleHipsPrincess.
SkiDork
Site Admin

Post by SkiDork »

tyrolean_skier wrote:She has become a pretty good skier in the two years she has been skiing
make that 3 years
Wait Till Next Year!!! Image

Iceman 10/11 Season

ImageImageImage
BigKahuna13
Site Admin

Post by BigKahuna13 »

yeti wrote:I read three books this week:

An aviator's field book: Being the field reports of Oswald Boelcke, from August 1, 1914 to October 28, 1916 (and Dicta Boelcke) - Oswald Boelcke
What's it about? Any good?
What is not possible is not to choose. ~Jean-Paul Sartre

shortski
Site Admin

Post by shortski »

Anarchist's Cookbook:
Cogito, ergo sum

Sometimes it is that simple.

ImageImage
andyzee
Level 10K poster

Post by andyzee »

BigKahuna13 wrote:
yeti wrote:I read three books this week:

What's it about? Any good?
g

Excellent book. You should also try "More Homemade Silencers from Hayduke the Master" by George Hayduke, good reading.
Admins, I respectfully request that you do not delete this post or me, thank you.

Andyzone.com
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

SkiDork wrote:
tyrolean_skier wrote:She has become a pretty good skier in the two years she has been skiing
make that 3 years
Forgot that she is almost 5 now and that she started at 2 so that makes it 3 years as you say.
yeti
Powderhound

Post by yeti »

It is classic... it is a collection of notes from the field by Oswald Boelcke a German WWI fighter ace and argueably the most innovative and influential combat pilot who has ever lived.

Most of the points in his Dicta are still relevent to this day.

http://www.acepilots.com/wwi/ger_boelcke.html
Thanks for the mammaries! (.)(.)
BigKahuna13
Site Admin

Post by BigKahuna13 »

yeti wrote:It is classic... it is a collection of notes from the field by Oswald Boelcke a German WWI fighter ace and argueably the most innovative and influential combat pilot who has ever lived.

Most of the points in his Dicta are still relevent to this day.

http://www.acepilots.com/wwi/ger_boelcke.html
Another on the "to be read" list.
Thanks.
What is not possible is not to choose. ~Jean-Paul Sartre