We Will Get By, We Will Survive!!!!

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

f.a.s.t.
Wanted Poster

Re: We Will Get By, We Will Survive!!!!

Post by f.a.s.t. »

As far as I'm concerned; if you never went to a Grateful Dead concert.................then you've never been to a concert.

We will survive!
!!!!!!!!!! MAKE AMERICA LOVE AGAIN !!!!!!!!!!
St. Jerry
Powderhound

Post by St. Jerry »

yes, survived another year!

RIP
Ron Paul 2012
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

f.a.s.t. wrote:As far as I'm concerned; if you never went to a Grateful Dead concert.................then you've never been to a concert.

We will survive!
yup there was nothing like a grateful dead concert ...
spoiled South American skiin' whore
Guy in Shorts
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by Guy in Shorts »

When it seems like the night will last forever
And there's nothing left to do but count the years
When the strings of my heart start to sever
And stones fall from my eyes instead of tears

Let every week be a Jerry week and every day be a Jerry day.
If my words did glow with the gold of sunshine.
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

Guy in Shorts wrote:When it seems like the night will last forever
And stones fall from my eyes instead of tears

the last verse jerry ever sang ...
spoiled South American skiin' whore
St. Jerry
Powderhound

Post by St. Jerry »

skiadikt wrote:
Guy in Shorts wrote:When it seems like the night will last forever
And stones fall from my eyes instead of tears...

the last verse jerry ever sang ...
...I will walk alone, by the black muddy river,
And dream me a dream of my own,
I will walk alone, by the black muddy river,
And sing me a song of my own, sing me a song of my own.
Ron Paul 2012
kram
Green Skidder

Post by kram »

If I had a star to give
I'd give it to you long as you live
Would you have the time
To watch it shine, watch it shine?
Woodsrider
Slalom Racer

Post by Woodsrider »

"Fare you well, fare you well
I love you more than words can tell
Listen to the river sing sweet songs
To rock my soul"

That was the last verse I watched Jerry sing live. What an amazing show. I used to sing my girls to sleep with that song.

Dead concerts were more than a show. They were parties with 10,000 of your closest friends. Some of the best memories of my life.

"I know you rider gonna miss me when I'm gone". He was right.
Guy in Shorts

Post by Guy in Shorts »

Woodsrider wrote:"Fare you well, fare you well
I love you more than words can tell
Listen to the river sing sweet songs
To rock my soul"

That was the last verse I watched Jerry sing live. What an amazing show.
Encore from the second show at Giants Stadium June 95. Was the last show that we attended. Never thought it would be the last time to let Jerry personally rock my soul.
If my words did glow with the gold of sunshine.
jambear
Green Skidder

Post by jambear »

Grateful Dead shows were so much fun but i think i liked the Jerry Garcia Band shows the best for the music and family atmosphere.
The sensual caress of waist deep cold smoke.... glory in skiing virgin snow, in being the first to mark the powder with the signature of their run. ~Tim Cahill
freeski
Post Office

Post by freeski »

Did anyone see them in Highgate, VT in 1995? It was the only time I ever saw them. I was never a huge fan, but was glad to have experienced one of their concerts. There was not a lot of wind and there was a fog over the field as thick as a forest fire. A couple of things I remember: lots of VW buses broken down along the way. Then we had to park pretty far from the concert and while walking in a large group, people started mooing (like cows). Security could not control the crowd so they made it a free concert. There was a huge pile of confiscated beer/liquor bottles at the entrance, 10 feet high and 20 feet wide and there was a female cop beside the pile saying she had no idea what to do as far as all of the open drug use. Her partner just shrugged his shoulders. To be honest I felt a little uncomfortable in the madness, but once I was inside it was pretty fun.

I asked this a year ago and no one answered. Okay who else was there? (fess up I know some of you were) 8)
I Belong A Long Way From Here.
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

freeski wrote:Did anyone see them in Highgate, VT in 1995? It was the only time I ever saw them. I was never a huge fan, but was glad to have experienced one of their concerts. There was not a lot of wind and there was a fog over the field as thick as a forest fire. A couple of things I remember: lots of VW buses broken down along the way. Then we had to park pretty far from the concert and while walking in a large group, people started mooing (like cows). Security could not control the crowd so they made it a free concert. There was a huge pile of confiscated beer/liquor bottles at the entrance, 10 feet high and 20 feet wide and there was a female cop beside the pile saying she had no idea what to do as far as all of the open drug use. Her partner just shrugged his shoulders. To be honest I felt a little uncomfortable in the madness, but once I was inside it was pretty fun.

I asked this a year ago and no one answered. Okay who else was there? (fess up I know some of you were) 8)
I was there. My car overheated in traffic on the way in, and I had to ditch it on someones lawn. Cost me $20 to leave it there. The "free" show was the result of the crowd bringing down the security fence, under which many fans were crushed. My backpack was stolen from my tent while I was in the show. The next morning, state cops were waking people up and kicking them out of their campsites at first light, like 5 am. While I enjoy just about every show, this one was kind of a downer...

My only other downer was at Phish in Coventry. Someone dosed me...hard. I experienced the 4th dimension. I don't know how to explain the experience.
ImageImageImageImage
deadheadskier

Post by deadheadskier »

freeski wrote:Did anyone see them in Highgate, VT in 1995? It was the only time I ever saw them. I was never a huge fan, but was glad to have experienced one of their concerts. There was not a lot of wind and there was a fog over the field as thick as a forest fire. A couple of things I remember: lots of VW buses broken down along the way. Then we had to park pretty far from the concert and while walking in a large group, people started mooing (like cows). Security could not control the crowd so they made it a free concert. There was a huge pile of confiscated beer/liquor bottles at the entrance, 10 feet high and 20 feet wide and there was a female cop beside the pile saying she had no idea what to do as far as all of the open drug use. Her partner just shrugged his shoulders. To be honest I felt a little uncomfortable in the madness, but once I was inside it was pretty fun.

I was at Highgate for both the 94 and 95 shows.

It's unfortunate that 95 was the only show you saw of them. Cool atmosphere, but probably the worst of the 30 performances I saw of the band. It was clear to me then that the end was near. They played much better when I saw them in Albany the following week, but there was a noticeable drop off in Jerry's strength from the spring tour and especially the fall prior when he was playing and singing really well during the MSG and Boston Garden runs.
freeski
Post Office

Post by freeski »

Stormchaser wrote:... The "free" show was the result of the crowd bringing down the security fence, under which many fans were crushed. My backpack was stolen from my tent while I was in the show. The next morning, state cops were waking people up and kicking them out of their campsites at first light, like 5 am....
Yes, I remember seeing the fence on the ground. Glad I missed that part. The next morning I remember the police car driving right up to people's tents and turning on a horribly loud siren to kick everyone out. The worst part for me was I only caught a little of Bob Dylan who opened. Thanks guys, I figured a couple of you had to have been there.
I Belong A Long Way From Here.
f.a.s.t.
Wanted Poster

Post by f.a.s.t. »

freeski wrote:
Stormchaser wrote:... The "free" show was the result of the crowd bringing down the security fence, under which many fans were crushed. My backpack was stolen from my tent while I was in the show. The next morning, state cops were waking people up and kicking them out of their campsites at first light, like 5 am....
Yes, I remember seeing the fence on the ground. Glad I missed that part. The next morning I remember the police car driving right up to people's tents and turning on a horribly loud siren to kick everyone out. The worst part for me was I only caught a little of Bob Dylan who opened. Thanks guys, I figured a couple of you had to have been there.
I remember hearing about the concerts there, I was sorry I didn't make any of them. At the time I was working in the hotel industry-terrible hours and impossible to get away. Speaking of get away:

Twenty-third Psalm Majordomo
reserve me a table for three
in the Valley of the Shadow
just you, Alabama and me

Alabama getaway
Alabama getaway
Only way to please me
turn around and leave
and walk away

Not the only Dead song with a reference to Psalm 23.
!!!!!!!!!! MAKE AMERICA LOVE AGAIN !!!!!!!!!!