Season pass penalty policy??

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Benny Profane
Beginner On Rentals

Season pass penalty policy??

Post by Benny Profane »

First, (squirm, shuffle), hello all.

So.....anybody know the pass-pull policy at K for off trail excusions for season pass holders? Is it still 3 strikes and you're out?
Zed's dead, baby, Zed's dead.
skidogg
Poster Child Poster

Post by skidogg »

don't know, when i poach the pass goes in the pocket
fast is cool.
Faster is cooler. bring back the dis
ozzy
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by ozzy »

trail exclusions sound so much more pc that ducking ropes or poaching.
i wish there was a standard answer to your Q, but it varies in every situation. best bet is don't get caught and don't be stupid about it like a high visibility poach. some skiing service's personel are real dbags on a power trip others are cool.
it seems like poaching trails and the associated punishments have diminished over the past few years. a while back taking your pass wasn't uncommon. seems like poaching was a more serious offense than it is now.
me on the other hand, i usually get the "don't you live here, i know that i've seen you around, you know better than this" routine. besides i'm friendly w/ alot of the skiing services people and i dont like to put them, or myself, in that situation. so no stupid or high profile poaches for me
skiskee8 wrote:Skiing in powder sucks. It's so much more work, and you can't go as fast.
SkiDork
Site Admin

Post by SkiDork »

Welcome Benny Profane!

Were you on the Crystal Ships?
Wait Till Next Year!!! Image

Iceman 10/11 Season

ImageImageImage
Benny Profane
Beginner On Rentals

Post by Benny Profane »

not yet, dork. but it looked like Friday was a fine day for the Phantoms on my feet while I ducked ropes. Just picked up everything from the shop. I'm ready.
Mtn Man
Guru Poster

Post by Mtn Man »

I'll try to get more info, but I think it goes like this:

first offense, they pull your pass for the day

Second offense, they pull it for 30 days

Third offense, for the season.

If you're nice, they usually give you a tongue lashing the first time.

Welcome to the mix Benny!

B)
Mmmmmm, sidecountry....
SkiDork
Site Admin

Post by SkiDork »

Benny Profane wrote:not yet, dork. but it looked like Friday was a fine day for the Phantoms on my feet while I ducked ropes. Just picked up everything from the shop. I'm ready.
cool! I'm getting mine mounted, they'll be ready when I go up next weekend. The past few days would have been excellent for them.

You up next weekend? I'm gonna take them out even if it's just groomers to check them out.

Iceman 10/11 Season

ImageImageImage
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

I was told by one the higher muckety mucks that they're going for more enforcement this season, that poaching has gotten out of hand, and they're concerned about the potential problem of people getting hurt in areas that are closed and nobody knowing about it. I'm just guessing but I'm thinking this might be an extension of resorts trying to collect from people who ski out of bounds then require search and rescue.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
robgoose
Green Skidder

Poaching

Post by robgoose »

Two Tips:

1) Don't poach it unless you can rip it --
The longer you take -- stopping to rest, picking your way down, etc. the more likely you get caught...

2) Don't duck a rope to get in - the trail's still closed, you're still not supposed to ski it, but you've got plausible deniability.

3) Avoid "exposed" poaches -- If the trail is high visibility, its like you're daring ski patrol to pull the pass (e.g. Ovation)

4) Be nice to the Patroller -- smile, oh I'm sorry..., etc. etc...

Best poach ever -- christmas eve, they'd been blowing snow on the Double Dip of three days without opening it -- 3:59 K-1... no lif's turning we decided we couldn't resist it Thigh Deep Powder all the way down.
down thousand drops of death, bear mountain quad to watch the bumpers, but we be hittin Bear's Ass cuz we be the cliff jumpers..
Benny Profane
Beginner On Rentals

Post by Benny Profane »

SkiDork wrote: You up next weekend? I'm gonna take them out even if it's just groomers to check them out.
well, I try to avoid Saturdays, especially early season, but, hey, if it snows....

Bring some sharp edged things besides the Phantoms. You can use them on groomers, but they will feel cumbersome after a few runs. Unless you want to talk about them - EVERYBODY will be bugging you about them. Good way to pick up chicks.

Sounds like dealing with the patrol will be the same as avoiding a ticket on my ride up. Luck and more luck and a little sh*t. "I was going that fast, officer? Oh, I'm so sorry........"
SkiDork
Site Admin

Post by SkiDork »

Benny Profane wrote:EVERYBODY will be bugging you about them. Good way to pick up chicks.
Ty will love that ;-)

Iceman 10/11 Season

ImageImageImage
skatecow45
Blue Chatterbox

Post by skatecow45 »

i always poach the best trails. never look back, just gotta rip them. i love it, thats where the best conditions are!

bring on the chase!
St. Jerry
Powderhound

Post by St. Jerry »

I've been Busted by ski patrol twice:

1. Stratton. The ski patrol saw me skiing the deep stuff and chased me down. Told them that I had tenitis in my ears (which is partly true; that's what 150+ shows will do to you) and that's why I couldn't hear them yelling at me to stop. They let me off with a warning.

2. Gore. Was the first major dump of the year and the new Topridge glades had never been skied; Had to do it. The patrol waited for me at the bottom of the lift and put a big black "X" over my season pass, which they considered a final warning.

This year, I don't have a ski pass to any resort, so I don't really care that much if i get busted. Eastern powder is priceless. More concerned about getting hurt on a closed trail (sometimes they are closed for a reason) and no one finding me.
Ron Paul 2012
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

St. Jerry wrote:This year, I don't have a ski pass to any resort, so I don't really care that much if i get busted. Eastern powder is priceless. More concerned about getting hurt on a closed trail (sometimes they are closed for a reason) and no one finding me.
That's the reason you should never ski trees alone or duck ropes alone. If you get hurt you need to have someone call for help.
Benny Profane
Beginner On Rentals

Post by Benny Profane »

St. Jerry wrote: 2. Gore. Was the first major dump of the year and the new Topridge glades had never been skied; Had to do it. The patrol waited for me at the bottom of the lift and put a big black "X" over my season pass, which they considered a final warning.

hmmmm......I'm also concerned about Gore, 'cause I'm kinda new there, and the tree stashes are many. So they seem to be saying 2 strikes and gone.

hehe - glad I bought an Empire card. Take my pass sucka, I'll see ya tomorrow.....