Palestine

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
yiddle on da fiddle
Powderhound

Re: Palestine

Post by yiddle on da fiddle »

Israel good. Israel GREAT. Hamas ?...a bunch of terrorist f***. Wipe em off the planet.
easyrider16
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by easyrider16 »

There's also, obviously, the religious dimension to all of this.Technically the Israeli government is secular, but the reality is Prime Minister Netanyahu believes Israel has a divine right to the land. And the Palestinians have their own nutty religious views.

And then of course consider the implications of the fact that they've been fighting each other there for centuries. It's a situation where your father killed my father, so I'll kill you, and on and on, for generations. It's deeply personal animosity. That is vastly different from joining some organization with vague notions of punishing the great Satan to earn your seventy virgins when you die. For Palestinians and Israelis, it's very real, very close, and very emotional. It's a lot closer to a civil war than it is to "government" vs "terrorist"

In short, it's a f*cking mess and taking one side over the other is no way to resolve it.
throbster
Postaholic

Post by throbster »

Hamas' stated objective is to wipe Israel off the face of the earth. Picking a side is a no-brainer. Turn off CNN and wake up.
I get all the news I need from the weather report

- Simon and Garfunkel
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

throbster wrote: May 14th, '21, 11:27 Hamas' stated objective is to wipe Israel off the face of the earth. Picking a side is a no-brainer. Turn off CNN and wake up.
And what do you think Israel's unstated objective is? Try looking a little bit beyond your prejudices.
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

Israel allows Palestinians living in Israel to be citizens and to vote. That's a bit different than a terrorist organization publicly stating you want to wipe a nation off the earth.
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

Israel also has selectively policed Palestinian areas, treated them as second-class citizens, and discriminated against them in a number of ways. As I've said before again and again, both sides have done bad things. Hamas saying they wanted to wipe Israel off the face of the Earth was wrong. That doesn't make Israel right in how they treat Palestinians.

BTW, Hamas dropped the "wipe Israel off the face of the Earth" bit from their manifesto in 2006. So there's also that.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2006/jan/12/israel
yiddle on da fiddle
Powderhound

dude: youve strongly shown your embarrasingly prejudiced stance...NOTHING you offer up...will negate this.
yiddle on da fiddle
Powderhound

....and cutting and pasting...something from a KNOWN uber-left excuse for a "publication"...thats also 15 friggin years ago....well...keep being a douche. THAT at least...youre succeeding in...
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

yiddle on da fiddle wrote: May 14th, '21, 12:16 ....and cutting and pasting...something from a KNOWN uber-left excuse for a "publication"...thats also 15 friggin years ago....well...keep being a douche. THAT at least...youre succeeding in...
So post your own source to dispute it. If you have one. Otherwise all you're doing is coming here to hurl insults at me which only proves your ignorance rather than mine.

Here's some additional sources if you care to become educated:
https://www.latimes.com/world/la-fg-ham ... story.html
https://www.wsj.com/articles/hamas-to-r ... 1493649310
https://www.newsweek.com/hamas-drops-ca ... ith-593266
Last edited by easyrider16 on May 14th, '21, 12:26, edited 1 time in total.
yiddle on da fiddle
Powderhound

Fairly certain...youve cornered the local market..on "ignorance".
yiddle on da fiddle
Powderhound

ha ha ha...seriously...can you even READ?...in The Journal...."hamas still wishes to take over the land of Israel". Again....whos the ignorant here?
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

Here's an article that discusses how Israeli law discriminates against Palestinians:
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2018/7/1 ... lestinians
Last edited by easyrider16 on May 14th, '21, 12:41, edited 1 time in total.
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

yiddle on da fiddle wrote: May 14th, '21, 12:34 ha ha ha...seriously...can you even READ?...in The Journal...."hamas still wishes to take over the land of Israel". Again....whos the ignorant here?
Yes, can you? Right on the top, this is what they call a headline - "Hamas Drops Call for Israel’s Destruction"

I agree though Hamas is trying to have it both ways. If you actually delve into the details, you'll find that most actual Palestinians are not in favor of the more radical parts of the manifesto, like calling for the destruction of Israel. But Hamas is also trying to make nice with other groups that want the destruction of Israel. So they're playing both sides of the fence. But this is largely a digression. I've already acknowledged that Hamas is in the wrong, here. That doesn't automatically make Israel in the right.
yiddle on da fiddle
Powderhound

Al Jizzera. I rest my case. Hows it go again?.."tis better to be silent...and thought the fool..." what a tool you really are.
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

Here's a pretty good AP report, heavy on facts, about the latest violence. Death toll is 5 Israelis, 139 Palestinians. Palestinians have fired 2000 unguided rockets. Israelis have in response used 160 warplanes to drop 160,000 lbs of explosive ordinance.

https://apnews.com/article/israel-west- ... 2f8c7d8a79

For reference, the heaviest rockets Hamas uses employ a 10 kg warhead, or about 25 lbs. That means Hamas fired a total of 50,000 lbs of explosive ordinance at most, and the overwhelming majority of that was intercepted by Iron Dome.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qassam_rocket