Verizon Cell Service at Killington

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Spyderman
Bumper

Verizon Cell Service at Killington

Post by Spyderman »

I have read about a year ago that to improve cell phone service at sections of Killington like Bear Mountain and Sunrise, Verizon Wirelesss was planning to install a cell tower somewhere near Route 4 and River Road.Does anyone know if this is true and when we can expect improved cell service at all Killington East locations? Thanks in advance for any insights and updates.
johnny the jibber
Level 10K poster

Re: Verizon Cell Service at Killington

Post by johnny the jibber »

service is still terrible or nonexistent at bear and sunrise. you can get service after you cross east mtn rd on the skyeship, and sometimes down at the base of the gondola, not aways. the battery in my phone almost gave way and burst when i was over at bear one day from all the power the phone was consuming searching for service over on the east side last february. it locked up and the battery was bulging to the point the cover would barely latch and close...verizon took care of the phone and battery, which they normally dont do...
he would shove your ass so far up your ass and stuff! -thejet61 10/2/09

If a snowboarder is in front of me or to the side I assume the slobbering moron will cut from one side of the trail to the other -GSKI 1/17/12
the Disemboweler
Whipping Post

Post by the Disemboweler »

johnny the jibber wrote:service is still terrible or nonexistent at bear and sunrise. you can get service after you cross east mtn rd on the skyeship, and sometimes down at the base of the gondola, not aways. the battery in my phone almost gave way and burst when i was over at bear one day from all the power the phone was consuming searching for service over on the east side last february. it locked up and the battery was bulging to the point the cover would barely latch and close...verizon took care of the phone and battery, which they normally dont do...
denny likes to keep his customers happy....hes the guy that built vzw....hes supposedly a real d bag....like larry babbio one of the biggest scumbags in corporate america....
I do what I want, when I want, where I want, & how I want & if you don't like it you can go $uck yourself :-)

Witness the birth of evil. The disemboweler :-$

http://www.yadvashem.org/

http://www.komennyc.org/

http://gohtbc.blogspot.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hE4dJJ_k ... re=related

http://www.swjackdrilling.com/

Long live Killington Resort and Turn of the River Lodge!!!!
Powderputz
Bumper

Post by Powderputz »

I've got AT&T/Cingular - it's not much better. It works sometimes at Bear Base, and other times, not. So, maybe it's back to 2-way radios?

How's Sprint and the others?
millerm277
Postaholic

Post by millerm277 »

Service is good from Skye Peak to Rams Head, okay down at Skyeship Base and at Bear, and very spotty along South Ridge/Falls Brook/Sunrise Condos. (I can get service, but moving a couple feet can make it disappear.). I've got T-mobile, but it usually comes up as roaming on the USA890 network.
jackalope158
Blue Chatterbox

Post by jackalope158 »

I got nextel and have never not had service any where on the mtn. Everyone i ski with always seams to pull the " hey can i see you phone for a minute"
shortski
Site Admin

Post by shortski »

The best cell phone service provider for the Killington area is Unicel. It give almost full coverage throughout the area. It utilizes Nextel Towers and its own and I believe they also have access to ATT towers. It is my understanding that Verizon has made move to acquire Unicle.

http://www.reuters.com/article/rbssTech ... 4920080610
Cogito, ergo sum

Sometimes it is that simple.

ImageImage
Geoff
Whipping Post

Post by Geoff »

shortski wrote:The best cell phone service provider for the Killington area is Unicel. It give almost full coverage throughout the area. It utilizes Nextel Towers and its own and I believe they also have access to ATT towers. It is my understanding that Verizon has made move to acquire Unicle.

http://www.reuters.com/article/rbssTech ... 4920080610
The Verizon Wireless deal to buy Rural Cellular Corp (the Unicel brand in Vermont) was completed the first week of August. The FCC conditionally approved the sale on August 5th but is requiring Verizon Wireless to sell off the licenses in Vermont. It's looking like AT&T will end up with the Vermont licenses as part of an asset swap with Verizon Wireless for some assets they acquired in Kentucky. Because of the regulatory issues, nothing has been announced. It would be nice to be able to buy a 3G iPhone in Vermont.
jackalope158
Blue Chatterbox

Post by jackalope158 »

nextel runs an different digital signal then verizon and unicel mostly because of there walkie talking feature thing. nextel phones cant rome, and there towers cant be used by any other provider. except sprint since they are one now. verizon and unicel towers cant be used for each other cause they run diffent signals CDMA and TDMA i ferget witch is witch but i know at&t used the same as unicel thats why iphone works us here and stuff.
SkiDork
Site Admin

Post by SkiDork »

jackalope158 wrote:nextel runs an different digital signal then verizon and unicel mostly because of there walkie talking feature thing. nextel phones cant rome, and there towers cant be used by any other provider. except sprint since they are one now. verizon and unicel towers cant be used for each other cause they run diffent signals CDMA and TDMA i ferget witch is witch but i know at&t used the same as unicel thats why iphone works us here and stuff.
was this posted from a BlackBerry?
Wait Till Next Year!!! Image

Iceman 10/11 Season

ImageImageImage
jackalope158
Blue Chatterbox

Post by jackalope158 »

nah not into that.. yeh i guess that post didnt make to much sense. im trying to say to much and type to little
millerm277
Postaholic

Post by millerm277 »

shortski wrote:The best cell phone service provider for the Killington area is Unicel. It give almost full coverage throughout the area. It utilizes Nextel Towers and its own and I believe they also have access to ATT towers. It is my understanding that Verizon has made move to acquire Unicle.
Unicel and USA890 are the same thing. I'll second the best service.
nextel runs an different digital signal then verizon and unicel mostly because of there walkie talking feature thing. nextel phones cant rome, and there towers cant be used by any other provider. except sprint since they are one now.
Correct.
verizon and unicel towers cant be used for each other cause they run diffent signals CDMA and TDMA i ferget witch is witch but i know at&t used the same as unicel thats why iphone works us here and stuff.
Verizon uses CDMA, AT&T, T-mobile, Unicel, and most foreign cell companies all use GSM. However, there are lots of companies (I believe Verizon does), that put up both types on their towers, because roaming brings in lots of $$$.
Geoff
Whipping Post

Post by Geoff »

millerm277 wrote: Verizon uses CDMA, AT&T, T-mobile, Unicel, and most foreign cell companies all use GSM. However, there are lots of companies (I believe Verizon does), that put up both types on their towers, because roaming brings in lots of $$$.
I looked through Rural Cellular Corp's (Unicel) finances a couple of years ago and roughly half their revenue was from roaming. In Vermont, that would mostly be AT&T and T-Mobile customers up from the flatlands using their cellular service. Verizon, just like everybody else, rents space on towers owned by either private owners or one of the big cellular tower companies like American Tower. I'm sure there are a lot of cell towers in Vermont with both Verizon CDMA and Unicel GSM base stations on them.
jackalope158
Blue Chatterbox

Post by jackalope158 »

yeh i guess TDMA has been abandoned along with the old analog service which was a great back bone for maken calls but not so hot for text and other stuff.
SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Post by SnoBrdr »

Spyderman wrote:I have read about a year ago that to improve cell phone service at sections of Killington like Bear Mountain and Sunrise, Verizon Wirelesss was planning to install a cell tower somewhere near Route 4 and River Road.Does anyone know if this is true and when we can expect improved cell service at all Killington East locations? Thanks in advance for any insights and updates.
Amazing, but not unusual here.

A lot of blabbering but the original question has never been answered. My understanding is that all the permits were approved and some work was started but then someone who didn't get the rental money put up a bitch and it's on hold.

If I'm wrong, I'm sure that someone here will finally answer the question.

I'd really like to know as well as I live on Rt. 4 and using Verizon I can get one call out of 20. Our condo, which is at the top of the Access Road has no problem tho.
Beware of fools & trolls here, they lurk everywhere.