Never saw this before

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

wanderer7453
Bumper

Never saw this before

Post by wanderer7453 »

I like to ry different routes for my trip from South Jersey to Killington. I came up via 7 to 11 to 100 from the NYS Thruway. And both on my way up and back this weekend I saw a Green Nissan truck on Route 11 that was a highway patrolman armed with radar. I don't ever recall seeing any police officer in a foreign make a vehicle. Or maybe I had never noticed.
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Re: Never saw this before

Post by tyrolean_skier »

As I was driving up to K this past Friday the radar detector went off so I slowed down and when I thought I passed the speed trap I started driving faster again and when I hit 75 the radar detector went off again so I slowed it down again and the same repeated again. That's when I figured out the patrolman must be behind me so I kept it below 75 until he finally got tired of following me and speeded by me to catch someone else.
Gladiskie
Beginner On Rentals

Post by Gladiskie »

I travel Rt. 7 frequently between Bennington and Rutland in the early morning hours when no one else is on the road. I could shave some time off the trip if I did not have to worry about tickets. I am thinking of getting a radar detector, but if the VT police use instant-on or LIDAR, it won't likely provide much protection. Do the VT police use these technologies?
Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Post by Dr. NO »

Gladiskie wrote:I travel Rt. 7 frequently between Bennington and Rutland in the early morning hours when no one else is on the road. I could shave some time off the trip if I did not have to worry about tickets. I am thinking of getting a radar detector, but if the VT police use instant-on or LIDAR, it won't likely provide much protection. Do the VT police use these technologies?
They do use both technologies, and they like to hide behind on coming traffic to catch you. Only thing the radar detector does in these cases is hopefully shoot someone in front of you. If you are the only one on the road, or the fastest, you are cooked. Besides, most of the locals go so f'n slow, you can't speed anyway. :evil:
MUST STOP POSTING ! MUST STOP POSTING !

Shut up and Ski!

Why's Everybody Always Pickin on Me?
IronMan WannaB
Bumper

Post by IronMan WannaB »

Driving through Rutland on 7 on the way to mountain this morning unmarked crown vic or some thing with two police in car in front of me pulled off main road looped one block and ended up right behind me. No problem. Think they just wanted to run my plate. Second time in one week that seen em run my plate.
Sparky
One of the kids your mothers wouldn't let you play with.
skidogg
Poster Child Poster

Post by skidogg »

try driving on there road like you would like them to drive on your road. then you won't need a radar detector
fast is cool.
Faster is cooler. bring back the dis
Ballzout
Bumper

Post by Ballzout »

Police in my hood have all diffrent kinds though yes, they're all American. I think sometimes they convert confiscated vehicles. This agency (Maryland Transportation Authority) has little jurisdiction. Mostly they're just in and around the tunnels of I-95 and I-895 in Baltimore.

...well that sh*t didn't work... :roll:
Geoff
Whipping Post

Post by Geoff »

The sneakiest one I ever saw was on I-495 west of Boston. The State Police had an orange DPW pickup truck in the median strip with a radar gun. Some things just aren't fair.
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

Geoff wrote:The sneakiest one I ever saw was on I-495 west of Boston. The State Police had an orange DPW pickup truck in the median strip with a radar gun. Some things just aren't fair.
Red Camaro on I-290 in Worcester...
ImageImageImageImage
Kskiier1
Blue Chatterbox

Post by Kskiier1 »

wanderer7453 wrote:I like to ry different routes for my trip from South Jersey to Killington. I came up via 7 to 11 to 100 from the NYS Thruway. And both on my way up and back this weekend I saw a Green Nissan truck on Route 11 that was a highway patrolman armed with radar. I don't ever recall seeing any police officer in a foreign make a vehicle. Or maybe I had never noticed.
Probably a town constable, they usually just use their own vehicles and throw some blue lights on them and then get pain for mileage from the town.
TacklingSnowmenSteve
Black Carver

Post by TacklingSnowmenSteve »

I know there was a device out some years ago.. and maybe since it has been made ilegal in most states..

The device was able to jam the radar gun. Pretty simple concept and you probably could make one if you had a little mcgiver in ya..

I know when it jammed the radar gun the radar gun would spit out 2 results... 199 and 1 mph and would not be able to lock...

**Edit**
Active jammers were made ilegal in 1997 by the FCC. It is a federal felony to operatet them and also many states have made them ilegal.

It is interesting to note that a passive jammer is legal, but none have been shown to work..
It's my duty to please your booty.... ~Shaft
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

I own a passive jammer that has served me well. RADAR/LIDAR can break through at close contact, especially with a change of direction. Its actually kind of fun driving by those automated speed signs (like on the K access road). The one on the curve by RSN when leaving K, kicks on when I get about 150' away (cuz i'm in a a turn and changing direction, the signal hits different parts of the vehicle). But the other one, near Rt 4 when headed towards K, I can drive right by without it coming on cuz its a straight shot.

http://www.rockymountainradar.com I think. They used to even pay your speeding tickets if you got caught, not sure if they still do that...
ImageImageImageImage
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

Ballzout wrote:This agency (Maryland Transportation Authority) has little jurisdiction. Mostly they're just in and around the tunnels of I-95 and I-895 in Baltimore.
In VA ... today and last night I saw unmarked Chevy Malibu's ... didn't even see them coming.
Gladiskie
Beginner On Rentals

Post by Gladiskie »

I'll pass on the rocky mountain jammer. I could not find one independent reviewer that said it works. The reviews I found all said the jammer is bogus.

"The Rocky Mountain Radar Phazer II Radar + Laser Jammers do not work. Do not buy these products as they do not work. We do not sell the Phazer II product because we have tested this product and it did not scramble anything. Our suggestion would be for you to buy any half decent radar detector instead. Any questions you can email us at cs@bestradardetectors.net"
thorski
Slalom Racer

Post by thorski »

I set my cruise control at 75 or just shy of it and drive up 3 hours on 91 and never get pulled over.
If you are driving faster than that you deserve a ticket. My friends father is a state patrolman and told us years ago that 75 is the magic number.
After that you are more likely to get pulled over.