Mishaps this weekend.

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Re: Mishaps this weekend.

Post by SnoBrdr »

Bubba wrote:
johnny the jibber wrote:whos to judge on who is skiing or riding out of control. ive been cruising along at a pretty good clip only to have some moron ski right across my path. it works both ways, and im sorry to say but the old, people in front of you have the right of way, is one of the biggest loads of sh*t now a days. be aware of your surroundings and life will be ok...
Being aware of your surroundings? Does that include:

1. Not skiing or riding too close to the person/people ahead of you?
2. Not skiing or riding with headphones on with music blaring so you can't hear what's going on around you, like the sound of someone letting you know they're coming up and passing by?
Headphone use should be banned on the mountain.

Wish they would also ban cell phone use in a car like they do in Ct.
Beware of fools & trolls here, they lurk everywhere.
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

johnny the jibber wrote:whos to judge on who is skiing or riding out of control. ive been cruising along at a pretty good clip only to have some moron ski right across my path. it works both ways, and im sorry to say but the old, people in front of you have the right of way, is one of the biggest loads of sh*t now a days. be aware of your surroundings and life will be ok...
I know. I hate that. Unfortunately, "right across your path" just happens to be their line, no matter how infuriating that might be.
SnoBrdr wrote:
Wish they would also ban cell phone use in a car like they do in Ct.
Yes, that's been oh so effective here. :roll:
rockon
Bumper

Post by rockon »

tellitlikeitis wrote:
icedtea wrote:also, the worse is when people just stop...or the skiers do that thing where they put a real quick parallel mountain turn to stop, no thinking that there are others coming down the mtn. fast then them.
hey ice tea you nit wit, what does that have to do with anything at all?....the person in front has the right of way, all the time, 100% of the time, regardless of the situation.. there are no exceptions to that... if you are coming up on someone and you can not avoid them on a dime, you are going too fast for your ability... the person in front can stop, make wide turns , make tight turns , anything they want..YOU ARE THE ONE WHO IS OBLIGATED TO AVOID THEM YOU FOOL...
i'm sick and tired of clowns like you who think that you have the right to go at a certain pace which ASSUMES YOU WILL NOT HAVE TO MAKE A TURN because you think you are better than you actually are... learn how to turn you dope...

on a different note, anyone who actually went out there skiing this weekend is also a fool....the first weekend in dec is always a joke for crowds...that is not skiing... it is collision avoidance, nothing more
im sick of nitwits like this guy who impliedly assume that they ability level is superior to others. flex those keyboard muscles, buddy!

icedtea is a highly skilled and agressive boarder. he is also very courteous. ive seen him stop on a dime to avoid jongs and ive seen him stop to help struggling strangers. ive have also seen him get slammed into while he was (a) stopped -- properly -- on the edge of the trail and (b) get taken out by an uphill, out-of-control boarder/skier.

in summary: i think tellitlikeitis has the right idea, but only the letter of the back of the lift ticket; icedtea's concepts are better suited for real-world application.
"If you've never seen an elephant ski, you've never been on acid."

Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

I don't get it. I ski fast, on the weekends, on large skis. I have yet to hit anyone or be hit by anyone.

Of course there are close calls....one this past weekend where I was skiing down the runout to the canyon quad, briskly. Gaper on the right skiing down, pack of gapers on the left stopped further down. Just as I'm about to overtake both, between them with a 30ft+ gap, skiing gaper cuts hard left to join the pack (duh). I tweaked my carve a bit, yelled, and threaded the needle between them with no contact.....but it was close.

The advantage I had was that I was traveling at least 4 times faster than the gaper. I was able to carve and pass before they were able to fully traverse into my line.

Slow gapers are usually no problem...when someone is traveling 10-15 mph, there is only so far they can get with an erratic turn, if you give them space, they can't get in front of you. The people skiing my pace (fast) are always more dangerous to me.

Oh, and always look up hill when you stop!!!!
"I'M YELLING BECAUSE YOU DID SOMETHING COOL!" - Humpty Dumpty

"Kzone should bill you for the bandwidth you waste writing novels to try and prove a point, but end up just looking like a deranged narcissistic fool." - Deadheadskier at madhatter

"The key is to not be lame, and know it, and not give a rat's @$$ what anybody thinks......that's real cool." - Highway Star http://goo.gl/xJxo34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I am one of the coolest people on the internet..." - Highway Star

"I have a tiny penis...." - C-Rex

XtremeJibber2001 - THE MAIN STREAM MEDIA HAS YOU COMPLETELY HYPNOTIZED. PLEASE WAKE UP AND LEARN HOW TO FILTER REALITY FROM BS NARRATIVES.

"Your life is only interesting when you capture the best, fakest, most curated split second version." - Team Robot regarding Instagram posters
tellitlikeitis
Bumper

Post by tellitlikeitis »

[quote="Highway Star"]I don't get it. I ski fast, on the weekends, on large skis. I have yet to hit anyone or be hit by anyone.

Of course there are close calls....one this past weekend where I was skiing down the runout to the canyon quad, briskly. Gaper on the right skiing down, pack of gapers on the left stopped further down. Just as I'm about to overtake both, between them with a 30ft+ gap, skiing gaper cuts hard left to join the pack (duh). I tweaked my carve a bit, yelled, and threaded the needle between them with no contact.....but it was close.

The advantage I had was that I was traveling at least 4 times faster than the gaper. I was able to carve and pass before they were able to fully traverse into my line.

Slow gapers are usually no problem...when someone is traveling 10-15 mph, there is only so far they can get with an erratic turn, if you give them space, they can't get in front of you. The people skiing my pace (fast) are always more dangerous to me.

Oh, and always look up hill when you stop!!!![/quote]

:zzz :zzz :zzz :zzz :zzz :zzz :zzz :zzz :zzz :zzz :zzz :zzz :zzz :zzz :zzz :zzz :zzz :zzz :zzz :zzz :zzz :zzz :zzz :zzz :zzz :zzz :zzz :zzz :zzz :yawn
Ballzout
Bumper

Post by Ballzout »

Perhaps I should move to the Killington area to open a new shop.

Hal U. Dewin
Tree Psycho

Post by Hal U. Dewin »

Cue skier versus boarder arguments...
Cue people shouldn't be on trails they can't handle arguments...
Cue people should wear a helmet arguments...
Cue people should not wear headphones arguments...
Cue people should not smoke dope and ski/ride endangering others with their slowed reflexes arguments...
Cue people should not drink alcohol in the lodge at 10am on and then go back out and ski with "just a buzz to loosen up" arguments..
Cue people should not yell and scream at others after close encounter collision infraction arguments...it's a well known fact that boarders pack heat like Plaxico Burress and may pull out a weapon and pop a cap in you for spitting in their face--or worse off kick your ass in front of everyone else for scolding them like your child to the point where you actually wished they shot you instead.
Cue the early season injury argument...too many people on too few trails, many skiing for the first time since last year, somewhow thinking that it's like riding a bicycle after sitting on your lazy fat asses all summer...until you have to react quickly becasue the dope in front of you truly believes that he/she is the ONLY one who bought a ticket that day..
Cue the boarders scrape off the trails argument...
Cue the boarders mow down moguls argument..
Cue the boarders sit on trails argument..
Cue the loser skiers always stop to take pictures of their girlfriends and surrounding scenery argument...
Cue the fact that when the pictures are developed, the girlfriend is busted scoping out the boarder argument...
Cue the ski school "have it alls" think they, in fact, have the entire mountain too...
Cue the typical New England weather-negative 7 degrees on Monday, Zero degrees Monday night, and r*in on Tuesday.
Cue the movie Groundhog Day.
shortski
:dis
SkiDork
Site Admin

Post by SkiDork »

VV sighting... Welcome back dude!
Wait Till Next Year!!! Image

Iceman 10/11 Season

ImageImageImage
johnny the jibber
Level 10K poster

Post by johnny the jibber »

Bubba wrote:
Being aware of your surroundings? Does that include:

1. Not skiing or riding too close to the person/people ahead of you?
2. Not skiing or riding with headphones on with music blaring so you can't hear what's going on around you, like the sound of someone letting you know they're coming up and passing by?
i always ride with the headphones, loud sometimes as well. i dont like to ride next to, or around anyone, so i stay well away from others. keep your eyes open and you'll be fine. i have no time for morons on the hill, if you do something stupid, you pay the price...
he would shove your ass so far up your ass and stuff! -thejet61 10/2/09

If a snowboarder is in front of me or to the side I assume the slobbering moron will cut from one side of the trail to the other -GSKI 1/17/12
johnny the jibber
Level 10K poster

Post by johnny the jibber »

Highway Star wrote:I don't get it. I ski fast, on the weekends, on large skis. I have yet to hit anyone or be hit by anyone.

Oh, and always look up hill when you stop!!!!
couldnt agree more...
he would shove your ass so far up your ass and stuff! -thejet61 10/2/09

If a snowboarder is in front of me or to the side I assume the slobbering moron will cut from one side of the trail to the other -GSKI 1/17/12
Geoff
Whipping Post

Post by Geoff »

Jeez. Another one of these threads. Leave the freakin' road rage down in the flatlands.
MrsG
Whipping Post

Post by MrsG »

Hey, HUD . . . you were missed at the soiree the other night . . . hope alls well :wink:
RustyK
Whipping Post

Post by RustyK »

Ehhhhh....those damm snoboarders!

Where is Happy Hour ?
jhatski
Blue Chatterbox

Post by jhatski »

Given the complaints I have a great idea. How about they only let four or five people at a time down the slopes. This way everyone will have enough room to move and enjoy themselves. :roll:
icedtea
Guru Poster

Post by icedtea »

tellitlikeitis wrote:
icedtea wrote:also, the worse is when people just stop...or the skiers do that thing where they put a real quick parallel mountain turn to stop, no thinking that there are others coming down the mtn. fast then them.
hey ice tea you nit wit, what does that have to do with anything at all?....the person in front has the right of way, all the time, 100% of the time, regardless of the situation.. there are no exceptions to that... if you are coming up on someone and you can not avoid them on a dime, you are going too fast for your ability... the person in front can stop, make wide turns , make tight turns , anything they want..YOU ARE THE ONE WHO IS OBLIGATED TO AVOID THEM YOU FOOL...
i'm sick and tired of clowns like you who think that you have the right to go at a certain pace which ASSUMES YOU WILL NOT HAVE TO MAKE A TURN because you think you are better than you actually are... learn how to turn you dope...

on a different note, anyone who actually went out there skiing this weekend is also a fool....the first weekend in dec is always a joke for crowds...that is not skiing... it is collision avoidance, nothing more

lets go fool i turn to pick up speed not slow me down...especially on trails. you know like skiing in jersey, you really never have to turn, just if you want to gain so mo. hv 4 life.

and i do avoid them...just sayin hold a line.
"To have the truth in your possession you can be found guilty, sentenced to death."
Peter Tosh