Powdr a Disgrace as a Customer Service Provider

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Spyderman
Bumper

Powdr a Disgrace as a Customer Service Provider

Post by Spyderman »

Powdr is plan out dropping the quality experience ball. They should be ashamed of themselves. While no one can control Mother Nature, Powder can control how they managed challenges and treat their customers. They are failing in this area. Consider the following

1) For the 50th Anniversary weekend lifts opened by noon due to ice. Why no round the clock grooming and lift deicing? Because Nyberg chose to not pay overtime.

Last Saturday 2/28 they didn't open Bear Mtn until noon because they needed to groom the trails that iced over night.. Rather than let skiers from Sunrise who skied down to Bear and those that drove there board the Skye Peak Quad to escape to Skyelark or Bittersweet they chose to lock gusts down at Bear. How hard would this have been? Could have roped off the trails to Bear but run the lift. They waited until 10:30 to announce a noon opening. Never even offerred stranded skiers a cup of coffee. Why? Because Nyberg doesn't care. He makes skiers pay full price and open the Core Bear and Needles trails by noon . What a great value!

Saturday 3/7 the Snowden Quad amps were sub par. Took 25 minutes to get up top. Then skied down and K-1 was not running. Said they needed to groom the Peak and Canyon from 8:00am till nearly 10;30am. Why make guests wait for grooming that could have been done from 4:00am till 8:00am? Because Nyberg doesn't care!!! He won't pay overtime. Make guest pay full price and not open Core trails for several hours.

Today Sunday 3/8 once again at 8:00am only lifts running were at Rams Head and Snowshed. People locked down like last Saturday 2/28 at Bear with no lifts running. Why? needed to groom. Nyberg chose to not pay for needed grooming from 4:00am -8:00am to be ready for business.

If I didn't care about K I would leave. But I'm sick about how the new owners are abusing their customers with actions, yet talk about a quality experience.
ozzy
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Re: Powdr a Disgrace as a Customer Service Provider

Post by ozzy »

Spyderman wrote:
Saturday 3/7 the Snowden Quad amps were sub par. Took 25 minutes to get up top. Then skied down and K-1 was not running. Said they needed to groom the Peak and Canyon from 8:00am till nearly 10;30am. Why make guests wait for grooming that could have been done from 4:00am till 8:00am? Because Nyberg doesn't care!!! He won't pay overtime. Make guest pay full price and not open Core trails for several hours.

Today Sunday 3/8 once again at 8:00am only lifts running were at Rams Head and Snowshed. People locked down like last Saturday 2/28 at Bear with no lifts running. Why? needed to groom. Nyberg chose to not pay for needed grooming from 4:00am -8:00am to be ready for business.
maybe it didn't set up until 4am or so and they couldn't groom until them. The surface is terrible if they groom soft snow then it sets and freezes.
BTW, it spring and like 50* why are you hitting gnar at 8am? Wait for that shizzle to soften and let the gnar flloooww.. Groomers absolutely suck when it's warm. They get way heavy and mashed.
What we need isit to get cold and freeze up pretty good to start a corn cycle of afternoon skiing. Doesn't look like that will happen this week though, but in time

On the flip side, I was stuck on the superstar quad for ~20 mins on Friday afternoon. Once i reached the top on auxuliary power, I was handed a discount voucher to be used within 24 hrs. Worked out as my father-in-law was skiing on Saturday.
Other times i have been stuck on lifts it was a free sm. Hot Chocolate or coffee....
skiskee8 wrote:Skiing in powder sucks. It's so much more work, and you can't go as fast.
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

I think they've been pretty well hosed by the weather the last week or so; sometimes they just guess wrong. To add to the challenge, Killington has a lot of different micro-climates.
Coydog
Guru Poster

Post by Coydog »

Hit Mt. Snow with some friends over the weekend. Lots of traffic but the trails seemed to remain fairly open. Very good cover across the entire mountain and the more interesting stuff on the North Face skied great in the afternoon. The whole place feels like it has been "upscaled" over the past few seasons.

The apres ski bar, Cuzzins, was rocking at the end of the day.

I probably would get fairly bored if I skied there regularly, but gotta love a resort that plays "Dark Star" from the base lodge.
ski
Wanted Poster

Post by ski »

Coydog wrote:Hit Mt. Snow with some friends over the weekend. Lots of traffic but the trails seemed to remain fairly open. Very good cover across the entire mountain and the more interesting stuff on the North Face skied great in the afternoon. The whole place feels like it has been "upscaled" over the past few seasons.

The apres ski bar, Cuzzins, was rocking at the end of the day.

I probably would get fairly bored if I skied there regularly, but gotta love a resort that plays "Dark Star" from the base lodge.
"Fare you well, fare you well
I love you more than words can tell"
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

yeah we got "stuck" in bear sunday morning. we waited til about 8:45 then took the shuttle to snowshed. when we got to snowshed we were told bear had just opened so we took the lifts back there. other than upper skye burst being a little firm everything else was very soft with the bump lines on wildfire already skiable shortly after 9:00. judging by the conditons we experienced i'm positive they could have at least opened the bear quad at 8:00. also this idea of opening bear last makes no sense since that's the first place that'll soften up.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
chewbacca
Black Carver

Post by chewbacca »

Powdr treats the groomers like crap and all the smart ones have already left for other areas. The Powdr pay is $9 and change per hour and other areas pay much better. Buddy of mine quit K and a CO area doubled what Powdr paid and his benefit package was a very great bonus. Powdr had yanked his benefits. Ya get what ya pay for. I'm sure the Brazilians and Guatamaleans will be grooming soon. Ole muchachos!
skiingsnow
Guru Poster

Post by skiingsnow »

Spyderman -

While it can be frustrating to deal with these types of problems, you have to understand that they normally groom from a bit after 4pm all the way to 9am (8am weekends), and it takes that long to groom everything that they do. Thats a little under 16 hours. If things dont freeze up after a warm day or a rainy/icy day/night until the early morning hours they only have a few hours to get the job done, rather than 15 hrs on a normal night. Rather than grooming only a few trails on each mountain and leaving most trails closed for the day (like they did last season), they have decided to allow grooming into mid-morning to allow enough time to groom everything that they had planned to groom, allowing all the terrain to open.

Nyberg does care....
G-smashed
Official KZone Historian

Post by G-smashed »

Hey Skippy - how can you see what they groomed when your head is dso far up Nyberg's ass? Isn't it dark in there?
I thinnk they've done a much better job this year than last and are only a couple of steps away from getting it right.
1. Stay open through May.
2. Get rid of you!

Don't Deer Valley Killington!
http://www.myeloma.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.ffrf.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.keithrichards.com/
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

G-smashed wrote: I thinnk they've done a much better job this year than last and are only a couple of steps away from getting it right.
1. Stay open through May.
2. Lighten up on BMMC
Fixed it. Seriously, whoever heard of doing a BBQ without beer??? WTF??? Skiingsnow? It's actually amusing how worked up he gets over the stupidest of slights to POWDR.
JerseyGuy
Postinator

Post by JerseyGuy »

skiingsnow wrote:While it can be frustrating to deal with these types of problems...
Skippy, you've REALLY got to remember to dumb down -- to "Skippify" -- the language Tommy Boy gives you. This is clearly PR speak, and it's painfully obvious that you didn't originally write the rest of your post, either.

Seriously, dude -- remember that you're supposed to be some random teenage manual laborer in nearby Bilgewater, VT who simply looooves his home mountain, and you'll be far more believeable.

Only trying to help,
JerseyGuy

P.S. Since you've been gone for the last week... I wonder which K-Drone was also on vacation during the same time period? Hmmm...

P.P.S. On the other hand, posting at 3:48 a.m. probably qualifies you for OT pay, so good for you.
"Default on aug 3rd just like clown lips said."
-- Racist Maddie, finally revealing himself as the hateful racist that he really is

"The rest of your post is something my pathetic little mind can't even remotely fathom."
-- Racist Maddie: uncut, uncensored, unedited and unhinged

"when is JG gonna figure out that since i OWN HIM, there is no need to respond to him"
-- tellitlikeheiwishesitwas, stumbling into a new way to handle being publicly called out for lying: a clumsy duck and weave with a dollop of self-delusion

"blah blah Okemo is awesome blah"
-- SkippyShill, in an accidental moment of misplaced clarity

"Go f*** yourself."
-- StreetSkippy, who be hatin' on tha haters
ski the trees
Bumper

Post by ski the trees »

killington mountain ops are a joke (no offense to anyone in particular) we all know that. powdr nickle and dime in full effect on that one. I'll give them credit for what they do right, but I'll sure as hell point out what they do wrong too.
aware4444
Black Carver

Post by aware4444 »

JerseyGuy wrote:
skiingsnow wrote:While it can be frustrating to deal with these types of problems...
Skippy, you've REALLY got to remember to dumb down -- to "Skippify" -- the language Tommy Boy gives you. This is clearly PR speak, and it's painfully obvious that you didn't originally write the rest of your post, either.

Seriously, dude -- remember that you're supposed to be some random teenage manual laborer in nearby Bilgewater, VT who simply looooves his home mountain, and you'll be far more believeable.

Only trying to help,
JerseyGuy

P.S. Since you've been gone for the last week... I wonder which K-Drone was also on vacation during the same time period? Hmmm...

P.P.S. On the other hand, posting at 3:48 a.m. probably qualifies you for OT pay, so good for you.
Such insight......dumb down (your forte), who's on vacation, finding typos, who's a drone and who uses PR speak; can't imagine how the world would survive without your cheesy shots. By the way did you finish the business plan yet, I may have missed it.
Gladiskie
Beginner On Rentals

Post by Gladiskie »

Coydog wrote: I probably would get fairly bored if I skied there regularly, but gotta love a resort that plays "Dark Star" from the base lodge.
Okemo's base lodge was playing "Animals" Sat. morning. About 95 percent of the runs were groomed into submission by 8:00 AM and were swarming with people by 9:00 AM. The 3 or 4 ungroomed (what Okemo calls mogul runs) were mostly vacant and fun to ski.
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Post by tyrolean_skier »

aware4444 wrote:
JerseyGuy wrote:

Only trying to help,
JerseyGuy

Such insight......dumb down (your forte), who's on vacation, finding typos, who's a drone and who uses PR speak; can't imagine how the world would survive without your cheesy shots. By the way did you finish the business plan yet, I may have missed it.
JerseyGuy was not the only one to notice that Skiingsnow had not made a post in a while. He normally seems obsessed with posting pictures and updates daily and then he goes quiet for a week. Some of us wonder why. Maybe you can tell us why there were no posts from him for a week. We are just guessing but you may know the facts.