biged
Slalom Racer

Re: Screwing the season pass holders

Post by biged »

junior wrote:
Marc Shepherd wrote:
junior wrote:
magicman909 wrote:WE ARE BEING SCREWED!
There are plenty of other ski areas in the east. Why do you still ski at an area that you know is screwing you? If I felt like a company was screwing me, I wouldn't do business with them anymore. What's stopping you from calling another mountain home? Plenty of other options. Why stick with the one that is screwing you as a customer? I don't get it.
Because the reality is that, even at its reduced size and shorter season length, many people do not have a better option than Killington. If they had a better option, that's where they'd go.
There have to be better options. There just have to be. Of all the ski resorts in the east, Killington is the only resort that is screwing it's season pass holders. That leaves hundreds of other ski areas that ARE NOT screwing their season pass holders. If a Killington season pass holder feels he or she is being screwed by Killington, why would they still be a Killington season pass holder? It makes no sense.
1. You own property here.
2. Killington is an excellent mountain, non compare that are within an acceptable driving distance.
3. You can not change the mountain but if you complain enough maybe some operational items will change. Besides this is the internet isn't that what it was made for.
magicman909
Beginner On Rentals

Post by magicman909 »

junior wrote:
magicman909 wrote:Ever since Powdr took over, there has been a decline in ski services. Chairs are shut down early, or not run at all. Bear closes in mid March with a 3' base. And now, the have taken down the South Ridge Triple. So they upgraded the peak lodge...who cares? WRITE & COMPLAIN. WE ARE BEING SCREWED!
There are plenty of other ski areas in the east. Why do you still ski at an area that you know is screwing you? If I felt like a company was screwing me, I wouldn't do business with them anymore. What's stopping you from calling another mountain home? Plenty of other options. Why stick with the one that is screwing you as a customer? I don't get it.
magicman909
Beginner On Rentals

Post by magicman909 »

Bubba wrote:
magicman909 wrote:You are correct. The new lodge is scheduled to open in Dec' 2012. 7 mil investment with a o rate of return. Why not use the money to upgrade the South Ridge Chair? Morons! BTW, I also stand corrected on Bear.
The new lodge will most likely NOT be open in December 2012 as they have been unable to pour concrete this fall. They now plan on pouring in May and opening the new peak lodge by the end of the the 2012 - 2013 season. As for its ROI, I suspect there are two reasons to do the lodge - the old one was falling down and the new one will allow more regular, more expensive events at the peak such as weddings. I doubt its ROI would meet the financial tests used by most industrials but it's probably well above zero.
RENO
Whipping Post

Post by RENO »

Damn, I'm getting screwed by POWDR? I better call my uncle Chris at K and find out what the hell is going on here! :evil:
Ski_the_Moguls
Poster Child Poster

Post by Ski_the_Moguls »

biged wrote:. . .
2. Killington is an excellent mountain, non compare that are within an acceptable driving distance.
. . .
This is really what it is all about. People complain because they are comparing Killington to some other mountains further North. Sure Sugarbush, Stowe, Jay, Sugarloaf, etc. can be argued to be better than Killington in one way or another. But can any mountain that is in between Killington and New York City even be considered as competition for Killington? Not if you are an expert skier - nothing even comes close.

But I still complain when I see something that I think could be better. Maybe someone out there is listening. But Killington screwing us? No, I do not think so.
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

magicman909 wrote:Ever since Powdr took over, there has been a decline in ski services. Chairs are shut down early, or not run at all. Bear closes in mid March with a 3' base. And now, the have taken down the South Ridge Triple. So they upgraded the peak lodge...who cares? WRITE & COMPLAIN. WE ARE BEING SCREWED!
1. Ski services have improved under POWDR. Skyepeak Express is a huge improvement over the SPQ. The lodges and lifts have all had a coat of paint, the area is actually looking pretty good. Snow making has improved, particularly the snow making system. Lot's of money invested there. Devil's Fiddle and Ovation have both seen a lot of snow making the last two years. They've tended to blow deep, and not just paint the trails as they did during the last years of ASC.
3. The peak walkway, while killing heavenly traverse, does allow them to get open early and a bit more reliably. People are actually debating the possibility of an October opening.
4. The new peak lodge will be a cash cow. At under 7 million, the ROI should be excellent. Weddings, conferences, etc. It's a smart move. The skiing public will benefit. The old building was done.
5. The new 6400 square foot Roaring Brook Deck will be transformational. It is actually going to be much closer than Superstar than the pub was; it will have bathrooms, and who knows, if we buy enough beer, maybe it will motivate them to keep Superstar open later in the spring. I'm certainly willing to hold up my end.

I don't agree with every decision they've made. I'd prefer to have seen the SRT replaced, not removed. I've been told it was simply a matter of safety. That turn that everybody loved, when you put half ton of load on it, definitely took its toll. I have mixed feelings about the closing of Snowshed Crossover, but it definitely improves the top to bottom skiing. The recovery after a rayn/freeze event still takes too long, but it is improving. They've chased a lot of people away by jacking up the prices. Didn't agree with the business decision, but I like the lack of crowding. Win for me, but the effect of the Access road is noticeable. Communication is still poor, they could do better in that regard. This is the time of year when they should be pumping up the public, in anticipation of opening, but they are strangely quiet; I take that as a bad sign for an early opening. However, on the whole, way more than half a loaf.

Like others, I'm wondering what your agenda is magicman909. If it's to get the Killington customer base to suddenly go to Magic or even some other place, you're on a fools errand.
Streamtracker
Black Carver

Post by Streamtracker »

I plan on skiing on my pass enough days that the price per day will be under $20. Even with the "shortcomings" of K, I still feel like I will get a great deal.
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

Streamtracker wrote:I plan on skiing on my pass enough days that the price per day will be under $20. Even with the "shortcomings" of K, I still feel like I will get a great deal.

$20/day or less is my goal as well...
ImageImageImageImage
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Pass holders and others apparently don't agree. I'm told pass sales are up again for this coming season.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
mediamogul
Green Skidder

Post by mediamogul »

Stormchaser wrote:
Streamtracker wrote:I plan on skiing on my pass enough days that the price per day will be under $20. Even with the "shortcomings" of K, I still feel like I will get a great deal.

I had it down to $19 and some change. I feel like any time I break 30 days for the year I am getting my moneys worth. I don't agree with all the decisions made by K but I agree that its a damn good mountain to be skiing for $20 a day.
Commission To Revive Mogul Skiing In The East
pwdrskier
Blue Chatterbox

Post by pwdrskier »

Heard rumors of Powdr replacing SRT with a Frankienstien Chair of Devils Fiddle Chair, the download poles of SRT and the Snowdon quad. Also i hear it will go to the peak. This would allow for the chair to run on cold windy days. And Which would get us a high speed chair on snowdon.
http://www.youtube.com/user/SkiBumFilms

2011/2012
Killington- 47 days
Pico- 1 day
2012/2013
Killington- 5days
junior
Signature Poster

Post by junior »

Bubba wrote:

Pass holders and others apparently don't agree. I'm told pass sales are up again for this coming season.
So people are going out of their way to get screwed?

RENO
Whipping Post

Post by RENO »

tt431
Post Office

Post by tt431 »

mediamogul wrote:
Stormchaser wrote:

I had it down to $19 and some change. I feel like any time I break 30 days for the year I am getting my moneys worth. I don't agree with all the decisions made by K but I agree that its a damn good mountain to be skiing for $20 a day.
So you are the guys screwing Powdr... What a bargain! :ani_smiles:
Marc Shepherd
Black Carver

Post by Marc Shepherd »

pwdrskier wrote:Heard rumors of Powdr replacing SRT with a Frankienstien Chair of Devils Fiddle Chair, the download poles of SRT and the Snowdon quad. Also i hear it will go to the peak. This would allow for the chair to run on cold windy days. And Which would get us a high speed chair on snowdon.
This is what I'm hoping for: not necessarily a Frankenlift, but a route to the peak. In the past, some posters have suggested that it is not physically possible for a lift running along the old SRT return line to reach the peak, so we'll have to see if that rumor is true.