Crossing Over

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

thor800
Beginner On Rentals

Crossing Over

Post by thor800 »

Skied this weekend for the first time after snowboarding for past 6 years and had a blast.

Boarding and skiing only or both ? Seems like everyone is doing it nowadays.
HelmetCam
Postaholic

Re: Crossing Over

Post by HelmetCam »

I am bi-snowsliding. Why choose? Its all good.
robrules
Poster Child Poster

Post by robrules »

I starting skiing at the age of 5 or so and skied until I went to college. I was 23 by the time I had enough money to buy equipment and go again, and I bought a snowboard. Even though I thought about it a couple of times early on in learning to snowboard, I haven't been skiing in almost 25 years and don't miss it at all. When the conditions are good, snowboarding is just so much more fun to me - and the equipment is more comfortable and easier to carry. I may start skiing again next season though just so I can teach my 3 y.o. daughter how to ski.
people with the snobords smokes the funystuffs
twilkas
Tree Psycho

Post by twilkas »

while i think it would be fun to learn snowboarding, i have to manage some injuries and just don't want to risk taking the inevitable hits that learning to snowboard would no doubt entail. i'm still having fun with the two planks, it's truly "all good", and the entire mountain sports industry would be in a different state entirely without snowboarding.

kills me to hear older skiers go off on snowboarder rants. please.
millerm277
Postaholic

Post by millerm277 »

Skier, don't see a point to crossing over considering how far skis have advanced in the past few years, I don't feel there's much advantage to boarding except maybe in places where snowfall is measured in feet instead of inches. And I don't feel like having to go through the whole learning process again to get up to the level I'm at on skis, on a board.
CAPBOY
Guru Poster

Post by CAPBOY »

millerm277 wrote:Skier, don't see a point to crossing over considering how far skis have advanced in the past few years, I don't feel there's much advantage to boarding except maybe in places where snowfall is measured in feet instead of inches. And I don't feel like having to go through the whole learning process again to get up to the level I'm at on skis, on a board.
I hear you . when I realized was how much more fun people that sucked were having than me, because everything is new to them, I wanted some of that. So I switched to telli. Makes going back to alpine moe fun. Now that I'm better on Tellis than most of y'all are on alpines, you start wondering if there is a need to search for your inner andyzee again. I suspect it will come. And once again, to prove to myself that I am not just a crotchety old macrame of change, I may just give it a whirl.
Phantom
Slalom Racer

Post by Phantom »

I learned to snowboard. Personally I just can't see it as an east coast sport. Needs something resembling snow, not boilerplate.
Of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most.
Deep Tracks
Green Skidder

Post by Deep Tracks »

When the snow god gives you ice, make snowcones :P
Hardbooting is ice tolerant.
Check it out.
http://www.bomberonline.com/resources/n ... arver.html

Skied for over 30 years then crossed over and never looked back.
Alpine boarding brought the excitement back.
spanky
Site Admin

Post by spanky »

robrules
Poster Child Poster

Post by robrules »

Phantom wrote:I learned to snowboard. Personally I just can't see it as an east coast sport. Needs something resembling snow, not boilerplate.
When you are good enough to go where the good snow is, its usually not a problem. When I was doing 40+ days a years, there might have been only 2-3 days a year that I canned it after a sampler around the mountain - but then again I learned to ride at Hunter, so its all relative. :wink: For me these days its about quality more than quantity since family obligations prevent me from going a lot anymore - last couple of years, I don't even bother going out unless its a snow day or its warm enough to soften up the snow.

But when there's powder, skis don't even come close to measuring up to the fun you have on a snowboard imo.
people with the snobords smokes the funystuffs
brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

Ever since the Snurfer, considered the snowboard a toy. Still do.
Tried snowboarding twice, both times out west, and with >2 feet fresh.
That was good fun. Buddy had xtra gear...fatties weren't in vogue yet.
For NE conditions today, it's alpine and randonne and occasional ice axe.
Ski specs now render snurfers less necessary, especially with no pow!
Do have real respect for the rarely seen hard-boot carving devotee.

See lots of folks on all types of equipment out there just flailing around.
Whatever ... there's 31 flavors at Baskin's for a reason
:box
Forever .. Goat Path
Ballzout
Bumper

Post by Ballzout »

I am a snowboarder, who skis. After getting very good on the board I found myself always waiting for my group to catch up. So one day I decided to buy skis so that I could crash and bust my ass along with everyone else. But then I got good at skiing too, so now I'm still waiting.
I've been boarding for about 15 yrs, and skiing for about 10. I bring both with me almost every time I take a trip to the mountain. Depends on my mood, or who I'm with, when I choose what to use when I get there. Ski with skiers. Board with boarders. Whatever if I'm solo. I tend to snowboard about 2/3rds of the time. To me, snowboarding was MUCH more painful to learn. I've always liked it better, but skiing isn't too far behind.
2021-2022 season total days: 18

Killington, VT: 2
Ski Roundtop, PA: 3..........Ski Whitetail, PA: 5............Ski Liberty, PA: 3
Jack Frost, PA: 0.......... Okemo, VT: 2............Stowe, VT: 3
MrsG
Whipping Post

Post by MrsG »

Ballzout wrote:I am a snowboarder, who skis. After getting very good on the board I found myself always waiting for my group to catch up. So one day I decided to buy skis so that I could crash and bust my ass along with everyone else. But then I got good at skiing too, so now I'm still waiting.
I've been boarding for about 15 yrs, and skiing for about 10. I bring both with me almost every time I take a trip to the mountain. Depends on my mood, or who I'm with, when I choose what to use when I get there. Ski with skiers. Board with boarders. Whatever if I'm solo. I tend to snowboard about 2/3rds of the time. To me, snowboarding was MUCH more painful to learn. I've always liked it better, but skiing isn't too far behind.
You rock :D
Phantom
Slalom Racer

Post by Phantom »

robrules wrote:
Phantom wrote:I learned to snowboard. Personally I just can't see it as an east coast sport. Needs something resembling snow, not boilerplate.
When you are good enough to go where the good snow is, its usually not a problem. When I was doing 40+ days a years, there might have been only 2-3 days a year that I canned it after a sampler around the mountain - but then again I learned to ride at Hunter, so its all relative. :wink: For me these days its about quality more than quantity since family obligations prevent me from going a lot anymore - last couple of years, I don't even bother going out unless its a snow day or its warm enough to soften up the snow.

But when there's powder, skis don't even come close to measuring up to the fun you have on a snowboard imo.
Frankly, if I was out west I would consider taking it up again, but inbounds only.
I'd probably end up buying some fatty rockers (another thing I think is totally usless in the east).
But, as brownman says -> 31 flavors, go for it.
Of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most.
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

got into telemarking way back in the late 80's but didn't like being back on the bunny slopes. might take it up again when i retire and have time. no interest in boarding.
spoiled South American skiin' whore