Solimano bringing back BMMC and the Longest ski season...

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

brownman
Postinator

Re: Solimano bringing back BMMC and the Longest ski season...

Post by brownman »

FnA !!! :like

Opening Day ... everyone who has a pair of Omega Dynastars should strap 'em on in honor of Mike's remaining stock options.
If all this materializes, Best news round these parts since Skye Peak upgrade.

Yowsah ! :Toast
Forever .. Goat Path
RENO
Whipping Post

Post by RENO »

SkiDork wrote:it would be a shame if some of the bad decisions we always thought came from Utah actually came from Byeberg
All the sh*t decisions were made by Nyberg. Very obvious now. Definitely a different world with Solimano! Definitely should be a different vibe around the place this season and much better decisions that won't leave people cursing and... :bang

Gonna be a good season! :Toast
Guy in Shorts
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by Guy in Shorts »

brownman wrote:FnA !!! :like

Opening Day ... everyone who has a pair of Omega Dynastars should strap 'em on in honor of Mike's remaining stock options.
If all this materializes, Best news round these parts since Skye Peak upgrade.

Yowsah ! :Toast
It is hard to be right all the time. Mike thought ASC was a great buy when the stock had sunk down to $1 per share a few years back.
If my words did glow with the gold of sunshine.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Marc Shepherd wrote:
Bubba wrote:I'm still of the belief that Utah gives financial targets as well as doing capital allocations and it's up to the resort managemet to figure out how to meet the targets.
People may be reading the term "capital allocation" too literally. The term, by its very nature, implies that there would have to be a target for return on investment. No one allocates capital, and then says, "We don't care how much money it earns."
At least in a manufacturing organization, an animal I'm familiar with, corporate generally headquarters sets targets for the P & L of each plant as well as the overall P & L of the company. You then have maintenance capital - what the plant needs to simply maintain the status quo, sometimes referred to as baseline capital - and discretionary capital, which is the capital that goes to new projects and has to meet certain ROI criteria set by HQ. I suspect that baseline capital within Powdr is more along the lines of the "we eat what we kill" variety and discretionary capital is allocated by Utah based on a combination of individual resort needs and ROI competition among the various projects proposed by each resort.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
MrsG
Whipping Post

Post by MrsG »

[/quote]Chris had to make some tough decisons, no doubt, and he did have to rationalize some of the operations. But his style, his communications skills, his ability to listen and accept others' opinions, and his overall management in general left an awful lot to be desired. Nobody is perfect, but taking personal credit for the good and putting the blame for failure on others is no way to run an organization and have it be successful.[/quote]

. . . did you just describe Bobby Valentine :mrgreen: :seeya
Marc Shepherd
Black Carver

Post by Marc Shepherd »

Bubba wrote: At least in a manufacturing organization, an animal I'm familiar with, corporate generally headquarters sets targets for the P & L of each plant as well as the overall P & L of the company. You then have maintenance capital - what the plant needs to simply maintain the status quo, sometimes referred to as baseline capital - and discretionary capital, which is the capital that goes to new projects and has to meet certain ROI criteria set by HQ. I suspect that baseline capital within Powdr is more along the lines of the "we eat what we kill" variety and discretionary capital is allocated by Utah based on a combination of individual resort needs and ROI competition among the various projects proposed by each resort.
The whole argument at Killington is how you measure something like the South Ridge Triple. Clearly, its absence harms the resort, but you can't quantify the effect of not replacing it. It's not as if the loss of that lift, all by itself, caused a huge number of people (or anyone?) to stop patronizing Killington. Rather, it's part of a gradual erosion of service that, coupled with many other decisions, creates a perception that the place isn't what it used to be.
laseranimal
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by laseranimal »

Hate to be debbie downer here but its "Words, Words, Words" at this point. We chewed out Rathburn, and were all excited to get Nyberg, now we kill Nyberg and welcome the new boss.

The communication is a nice change, but it doesn't mean a DAMN thing unless actions back it up. Early season Killington is already in the first group of places to open, saying you're going to be more aggressive with snow making doesn't mean anything if you're not willing to actually pull the trigger and actually GET OPEN! Without Nyberg's little stairway project I bet it'd be the same old same old line about quality product. As for the late close its about time SOMEONE at Powdr figured out they were leaving money on the table by closing up early.

With the 8:30 opening change you guys are practically falling all over yourselves to thank Killington for handing you back $.10 of the $5 you handed them. Granted early AM isn't THAT crowded but by the time you get Patrol/KMS/Etc up the hill its probably going to be 8:15-8:20 before the public can board the gondi, and like Geoff said what happens when there's the inevitable ice storm?

If you think for ONE SECOND that these guys are going to return BMMC to anything RESEMBLING its former self please have your head examined. This is an opportunity for them to sell more $7 drafts, not a chance in hell they let the old campsites back in.
Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves.

John Muir
Humpty Dumpty
Post Office

Post by Humpty Dumpty »

This thread is boring.

I like Shepherd's Pie.

http://www.food.com/recipe/traditional- ... pie-302120
Geoff
Whipping Post

Post by Geoff »

Marc Shepherd wrote:He states pretty bluntly that Killington had gotten away from the things things it could and should do well, and that some of the decisions were not focused on the guest.

I wonder what Chris Nyberg would think if he read that?
I'm sure Chris Nyberg, as his boss, was told that directly to his face.
Marc Shepherd
Black Carver

Post by Marc Shepherd »

Geoff wrote:
Marc Shepherd wrote:He states pretty bluntly that Killington had gotten away from the things things it could and should do well, and that some of the decisions were not focused on the guest.

Well, it's pretty unusual to see a public admission like that, when Nyberg still IS his boss.
Humpty Dumpty
Post Office

Post by Humpty Dumpty »

Marc Shepherd wrote:
Geoff wrote:

Well, it's pretty unusual to see a public admission like that, when Nyberg still IS his boss.
You being a shepherd, do you like shepherd's pie?
shortski
Site Admin

Post by shortski »

laseranimal wrote: If you think for ONE SECOND that these guys are going to return BMMC to anything RESEMBLING its former self please have your head examined. This is an opportunity for them to sell more $7 drafts, not a chance in hell they let the old campsites back in.
There was a change this summer in the policy of BOB. At the concert series you were allowed to bring coolers in.
Cogito, ergo sum

Sometimes it is that simple.

ImageImage
RENO
Whipping Post

Post by RENO »

laseranimal wrote:Hate to be debbie downer here but its "Words, Words, Words" at this point. We chewed out Rathburn, and were all excited to get Nyberg, now we kill Nyberg and welcome the new boss.

The communication is a nice change, but it doesn't mean a DAMN thing unless actions back it up. Early season Killington is already in the first group of places to open, saying you're going to be more aggressive with snow making doesn't mean anything if you're not willing to actually pull the trigger and actually GET OPEN! Without Nyberg's little stairway project I bet it'd be the same old same old line about quality product. As for the late close its about time SOMEONE at Powdr figured out they were leaving money on the table by closing up early.

With the 8:30 opening change you guys are practically falling all over yourselves to thank Killington for handing you back $.10 of the $5 you handed them. Granted early AM isn't THAT crowded but by the time you get Patrol/KMS/Etc up the hill its probably going to be 8:15-8:20 before the public can board the gondi, and like Geoff said what happens when there's the inevitable ice storm?

If you think for ONE SECOND that these guys are going to return BMMC to anything RESEMBLING its former self please have your head examined. This is an opportunity for them to sell more $7 drafts, not a chance in hell they let the old campsites back in.
tt431
Post Office

Post by tt431 »

RENO wrote:
laseranimal wrote:Hate to be debbie downer here but its "Words, Words, Words" at this point. We chewed out Rathburn, and were all excited to get Nyberg, now we kill Nyberg and welcome the new boss.

Seriously...
RustyK
Whipping Post

Post by RustyK »

I woud be pyched for any type of BMMC at this point.
And keeping Bear open later than is has been in the past...

Pic of the Crack o Noon shirts...
Attachments
BMMc.JPG
BMMc.JPG (172.62 KiB) Viewed 1192 times
Where is Happy Hour ?