Solimano bringing back BMMC and the Longest ski season...

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

shortski
Site Admin

Re: Solimano bringing back BMMC and the Longest ski season...

Post by shortski »

New Killington initiatives disclosed

By Karen D. Lorentz posted Oct 4, 2012
Share on facebook Share on google_plusone
Share on email Share on print More Sharing Services 0

The return of the Mogul Challenge and the long ski season are just two elements of a new phase of initiatives designed to bring growth to Killington Resort.

With operational basics accomplished under his predecessor, the new Killington Resort and Pico Mountain President and General Manager, Mike Solimano, told The Mountain Times that he is looking forward to another phase in the evolution of Killington. This phase will center on increasing guest visits and working in concert with various stakeholders the local community as well as the greater Rutland Region.

Solimano, who lives in Rutland, acknowledged that Killington has a leadership role in the area, which also comes with a greater responsibility to help elevate the economy of the region as a whole. He said he will be making a major effort to foster "communication and to seek ideas both internally from staff and externally from various stakeholders."

He is actively meeting with people including selectmen, local chambers of commerce, homeowners, and others to listen to concerns, identify where improvements can be made and to solicit ideas for collective efforts to grow skier visits and improve the destination vacation experience.

Solimano stressed that there isn't just one big thing that will accomplish this goal and that cooperation and partnerships are key. At the same time, Killington will do its part by examining ways to improve the guest experience as well as reach more people through a more aggressive marketing program.

A lot of the changes in this next stage in the evolution of the resort, will go back to basics; back to what Killington used to be and what worked.

Solimano said that the area will seek "to open early and stay open as long as we can," adding, "We will be the first to open if we can be." He explained that saying, "We won't do foolish things like make snow in the r*in" but they would make snow aggressively during windows of opportunity and would make use of the new Peak Walkway to foster early season skiing and riding. Yes, expect October skiing. The snow guns are ready to be deployed, weather permitting.

And for those who miss the 8 a.m. start, the K-1 gondola will open at 8 a.m. giving a great diversity of terrain to the diehards who seek "11 by 11" (11 runs by 11 a.m.). Other lifts will continue with the 8:30 a.m. opening, which allows the resort to continue grooming on the rest of the mountain, among other advantages.

Solimano also noted that the resort is committed to bring back the Bear Mountain Mogul Challenge, which had succumbed to "too many rules and regulations" related to liability and insurance issues. The Mogul Challenge once was the East's largest party as well as a premier bumps event. "It's about fun and Killington can throw a good party," Solimano said, adding that his executive team is skiers and riders who appreciate all aspects of mountain life and have chosen to live here because of the lifestyle Killington provides. Along these lines, Solimano plans to meet with his managers weekly in a gondola cab rather than the boardroom.

Another change will be to the Academic Excellence Program, which rewarded honor students with passes to Pico. Now the resort will offer a $75 youth Pico season pass to all Vermont students K-12. This decision came about after some complained about the logistical complications with tracking and qualifying "academic excellence." Now, the low cost pass affords the opportunity for more youth, including home schoolers, to take advantage of skiing at their local mountain, he noted. (A Killington upgrade will cost $199, a major savings.)

Speaking to a more aggressive marketing program, Marketing Director Rob Megnin noted that Killington is expanding various programs such as the Ski Council program with youth tickets now being offered. Last year the area also put a kiosk at Costco and reaped $168,000 in sales there. This year they go from 11 to 24 stores and will include more diverse offering there and at other outlets primarily in New York, New Jersey and Connecticut. Other targeted discounting initiatives have been offered via Facebook, in coupon books handed out with lease offers and in partnership with smaller resorts surrounding Vermont, in addition to other trial offers. Some have been more successful than others, Megnin noted, adding that trials are part of the process.

Megnin also noted that trends in visit patterns have changed because people have less time now and that the demand for shorter "stay-cations" will be accommodated now, too.

Although this change harkens back to a more traditional Killington marketing approach of aggressively reaching out to a diverse market, the approach to capital improvements has not changed. The area will continue to operate in an efficient and cost effective manner that allows it to be profitable and to reinvest in improvements. Still on the list are the Interconnect with Pico and a detachable quad for Snowdon, and more ideas are likely be added soon. The new Killington Peak Lodge is still scheduled to open December 2013.
Cogito, ergo sum

Sometimes it is that simple.

ImageImage
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

laseranimal wrote:Hate to be debbie downer here but its "Words, Words, Words" at this point. We chewed out Rathburn, and were all excited to get Nyberg, now we kill Nyberg and welcome the new boss.

The communication is a nice change, but it doesn't mean a DAMN thing unless actions back it up. Early season Killington is already in the first group of places to open, saying you're going to be more aggressive with snow making doesn't mean anything if you're not willing to actually pull the trigger and actually GET OPEN! Without Nyberg's little stairway project I bet it'd be the same old same old line about quality product. As for the late close its about time SOMEONE at Powdr figured out they were leaving money on the table by closing up early.

With the 8:30 opening change you guys are practically falling all over yourselves to thank Killington for handing you back $.10 of the $5 you handed them. Granted early AM isn't THAT crowded but by the time you get Patrol/KMS/Etc up the hill its probably going to be 8:15-8:20 before the public can board the gondi, and like Geoff said what happens when there's the inevitable ice storm?

If you think for ONE SECOND that these guys are going to return BMMC to anything RESEMBLING its former self please have your head examined. This is an opportunity for them to sell more $7 drafts, not a chance in hell they let the old campsites back in.
Rathburn never ran Killington, so I'm not sure what your point is. Enjoy Magic this year!
"I'M YELLING BECAUSE YOU DID SOMETHING COOL!" - Humpty Dumpty

"Kzone should bill you for the bandwidth you waste writing novels to try and prove a point, but end up just looking like a deranged narcissistic fool." - Deadheadskier at madhatter

"The key is to not be lame, and know it, and not give a rat's @$$ what anybody thinks......that's real cool." - Highway Star http://goo.gl/xJxo34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I am one of the coolest people on the internet..." - Highway Star

"I have a tiny penis...." - C-Rex

XtremeJibber2001 - THE MAIN STREAM MEDIA HAS YOU COMPLETELY HYPNOTIZED. PLEASE WAKE UP AND LEARN HOW TO FILTER REALITY FROM BS NARRATIVES.

"Your life is only interesting when you capture the best, fakest, most curated split second version." - Team Robot regarding Instagram posters
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

shortski wrote:
laseranimal wrote: If you think for ONE SECOND that these guys are going to return BMMC to anything RESEMBLING its former self please have your head examined. This is an opportunity for them to sell more $7 drafts, not a chance in hell they let the old campsites back in.
There was a change this summer in the policy of BOB. At the concert series you were allowed to bring coolers in.
There was also no problem with the tailgating scene in the parking lot the last few years.
"I'M YELLING BECAUSE YOU DID SOMETHING COOL!" - Humpty Dumpty

"Kzone should bill you for the bandwidth you waste writing novels to try and prove a point, but end up just looking like a deranged narcissistic fool." - Deadheadskier at madhatter

"The key is to not be lame, and know it, and not give a rat's @$$ what anybody thinks......that's real cool." - Highway Star http://goo.gl/xJxo34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I am one of the coolest people on the internet..." - Highway Star

"I have a tiny penis...." - C-Rex

XtremeJibber2001 - THE MAIN STREAM MEDIA HAS YOU COMPLETELY HYPNOTIZED. PLEASE WAKE UP AND LEARN HOW TO FILTER REALITY FROM BS NARRATIVES.

"Your life is only interesting when you capture the best, fakest, most curated split second version." - Team Robot regarding Instagram posters
HelmetCam
Postaholic

Post by HelmetCam »

shortski wrote:Along these lines, Solimano plans to meet with his managers weekly in a gondola cab rather than the boardroom.
Weekly hot box sessions! I'm not sure how much work will get done in there but it would be fun trying.
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

laseranimal wrote:Hate to be debbie downer here but its "Words, Words, Words" at this point. We chewed out Rathburn, and were all excited to get Nyberg, now we kill Nyberg and welcome the new boss.

The communication is a nice change, but it doesn't mean a DAMN thing unless actions back it up. Early season Killington is already in the first group of places to open, saying you're going to be more aggressive with snow making doesn't mean anything if you're not willing to actually pull the trigger and actually GET OPEN! Without Nyberg's little stairway project I bet it'd be the same old same old line about quality product. As for the late close its about time SOMEONE at Powdr figured out they were leaving money on the table by closing up early.

With the 8:30 opening change you guys are practically falling all over yourselves to thank Killington for handing you back $.10 of the $5 you handed them. Granted early AM isn't THAT crowded but by the time you get Patrol/KMS/Etc up the hill its probably going to be 8:15-8:20 before the public can board the gondi, and like Geoff said what happens when there's the inevitable ice storm?

If you think for ONE SECOND that these guys are going to return BMMC to anything RESEMBLING its former self please have your head examined. This is an opportunity for them to sell more $7 drafts, not a chance in hell they let the old campsites back in.

Hey Laser, I thought you moved on to Magic...? You seem to have left your negativity behind. Magic must have something for you to gripe about. I'll pack it up and mail it to you if you give me a forwarding address.
ImageImageImageImage
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

HelmetCam wrote:
shortski wrote:Along these lines, Solimano plans to meet with his managers weekly in a gondola cab rather than the boardroom.
Weekly hot box sessions! I'm not sure how much work will get done in there but it would be fun trying.
If successful, he can write a new book: The 6½ minute manager
skidogg
Poster Child Poster

Post by skidogg »

I like the cut of this man's jib
mike the frist rounds on me
fast is cool.
Faster is cooler. bring back the dis
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

laser, nyberg never gave us a chance to be hopeful. the ink was hardly dry before he got rid of the lifetime passes, raised kiddie school prices & cut back on services.

definitely digging solomano's openness. that blog in some ways is a condemnation of his boss. love his willingness to try to grow the business which which had been lacking under nyberg. whether he can accomplish any of it and whether pc stands his way is the question. yeah laser, it's talk but we never even got that from the previous admin.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
Humpty Dumpty
Post Office

Post by Humpty Dumpty »

Stormchaser wrote:

Hey Laser, I thought you moved on to Magic...? You seem to have left your negativity behind. Magic must have something for you to gripe about. I'll pack it up and mail it to you if you give me a forwarding address.
Do you think laseranimal likes shepherds pie?

(stop censoring my posts shortski)
Geoff
Whipping Post

Post by Geoff »

The Baron Vladimir Harkonnen's evil plan was to replace Beast Glossu Rabban Harkonnen with Feyd-Rautha Harkonnen.
Finn
Postaholic

Post by Finn »

Thanks for listening to the long time skiers.
I am happy that the K one will open at 8 am.
Looking forward to your new ideas and bringing K back to the KING of SPRING.
Best of luck in your new role Mr. Solimano. 8)
SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Post by SnoBrdr »

Geoff wrote:The Baron Vladimir Harkonnen's evil plan was to replace Beast Glossu Rabban Harkonnen with Feyd-Rautha Harkonnen.
Never could get into Dune.
Beware of fools & trolls here, they lurk everywhere.
laseranimal
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by laseranimal »

Stormchaser wrote:
skiadikt wrote:laser, nyberg never gave us a chance to be hopeful. the ink was hardly dry before he got rid of the lifetime passes, raised kiddie school prices & cut back on services.

definitely digging solomano's openness. that blog in some ways is a condemnation of his boss. love his willingness to try to grow the business which which had been lacking under nyberg. whether he can accomplish any of it and whether pc stands his way is the question. yeah laser, it's talk but we never even got that from the previous admin.

Sorry if I came off as snarky or negative, I was intending to express a healthy dose of skepticism with regards to what feels like K-zone groupthink anointing Solimano the second coming of Pres Smith. I remember a similar spontaneous outbreak of euphoria when ASC sold out. So before I joint the choirs line and proclaim everything to be sunshine, lollipops, and rainbows. I'd just like to point out Mike is a Powdr Corp employee and Chris Nyberg is STILL calling the shots as COO of Powdr's resorts division. To say I'm unconvinced that the leopard has changed its spots would be a gross understatement.

Going further I'd add that BEFORE everybody starts drinking the kool-aide I want a little more then ONE press release full of WORDS, I want to see ACTIONS. The problem with how BAD the job Powdr's done at Killington is that the Killington community has been bullied and kicked by Powdr so long that when someone like Solimano does something that IMHO should be standard operating procedure for a customer based business(listen to complaints and feedback from guests) everyone's shouts praise and hosanas to the heavens since things have been so down ANYTHING looks like up.

Don't get me wrong this letter is a HUGE step forward from what Powdr HAD been doing, its a fantastic olive branch to the community, and a mea culpa that somewhere along the line things got screwed up and mistakes were made. Its a great way to start fresh and begin to move forward towards re-claiming Killington's birthright as one of, if not the greatest ski area on the East Coast. I want Killington to be great, I love the place, my family loves the place, but its going to take more then a well written letter to get it done. Still, you have to start somewhere and in retrospect its a pretty solid place to start.
Climb the mountains and get their good tidings. Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees. The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves.

John Muir
shortski
Site Admin

Post by shortski »

Humpty Dumpty wrote: (stop censoring my posts shortski)
OK, that last post was perfectly acceptable. :D
Cogito, ergo sum

ImageImage
shortski
Site Admin

Post by shortski »

finn wrote:Thanks for listening to the long time skiers.
I am happy that the K one will open at 8 am.
Looking forward to your new ideas and bringing K back to the KING of SPRING.
Best of luck in your new role Mr. Solimano. 8)
Disjointed thoughts from a disjointed mind. Just kidding, looking forward to the new regime. When was the last time anyone with credibility openly talked about October skiing.

I did have a bet with Nyberg, not sure if we ever actually made the bet, but it was I would be in my house before Killington opened. Nyberg said when do you think you'll be in I said middle of October he said we'll see.

I think Chris finally understood the East Coast Market. I believe he didn't grasp how important the start and end of the season was what separated Killington from the rest up until Irene.

The King is dead, long live the new king.

Snow this weekend?????

I say no.

Hope I'm wrong.

Wouldn't know it if I was.

Good luck Mike.
Cogito, ergo sum

ImageImage