Vermont

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Vermont

Post by Dr. NO »

View from Campbell Road, Rutland Town / Rutland Center line near West Rutland. Had to U turn and take this pic. I need some edit function to fix things.

Also, Name this aircraft leaving the Rutland Air Port.

MUST STOP POSTING ! MUST STOP POSTING !

Shut up and Ski!

Why's Everybody Always Pickin on Me?
shortski
Site Admin

Re: Vermont

Post by shortski »

B24
Cogito, ergo sum

Sometimes it is that simple.

ImageImage
da Pimp
Double Diamond Skidder

Post by da Pimp »

Boeing B-17 "Flying Fortress"
Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Post by Dr. NO »

shortski wrote:B24
Had twin tails, not a 24 Liberator.

Shut up and Ski!

Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Post by Dr. NO »

da Pimp wrote:Boeing B-17 "Flying Fortress"
bingo! I remember seeing something about an air show/museum coming to Rutland. As I was heading home from a shopping spree I saw the B24 flying North and expected it to turn for landing. They were gone but the 17 was warming up on the tarmac when I got to the airport. Took off a few minutes later. Very impressive. Too bad my camera has a lousy display so you can't get good pics in sunlight.

Shut up and Ski!

Ski-N-Sail
Wanted Poster

Post by Ski-N-Sail »

The group that owns the B-24 and B-17 come down my way every summer. I think they had a B-25 also. Took time to visit a couple years ago. You can pay to fly on them, but if I recall it was not cheap and I passed. Tye planes are very cool and well maintained. I was most interested in the B-24 since my dad was a nose-gunner on one in the South Pacific during WWII.
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

Probably these guys:

http://www.collingsfoundation.org/cf_information.htm

They are nicely restored, but have some modern avionics and the interior is slightly modified to give rides. There's a few others around in 100% museum accuracy equipment that are fun to look at to see just what the state of the art was in 1943.
Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Post by Dr. NO »

Mister Moose wrote:Probably these guys:

http://www.collingsfoundation.org/cf_information.htm

They are nicely restored, but have some modern avionics and the interior is slightly modified to give rides. There's a few others around in 100% museum accuracy equipment that are fun to look at to see just what the state of the art was in 1943.
Looked it up on the net. Of all the B24's made, I think they said only 5 are currently air worthy in the US. The number of B17's was a bit higher, but compared to the quantity that was manufactured it is not much. Noted also, most of the aircraft of WWII were designed in the late 30's and airworthy as early as 41. Good stuff if you like it.

Shut up and Ski!

Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

Dr. NO wrote: Looked it up on the net. Of all the B24's made, I think they said only 5 are currently air worthy in the US. The number of B17's was a bit higher, but compared to the quantity that was manufactured it is not much.

I had stopped for gas someplace in Oklahoma, large uncontrolled field. There were old B&W photos in the lobby of the FBO of thousands of WWII bombers parked on the grass. The old timer selling the gas told me they were all bulldozed under, and still buried there.

Also, after the Korean war, you could buy a brand new surpluss P51 for $5,000. That's about $120,000 today, one heck of a deal, if you have the gas money.
brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

My dad navigated one of those babies in wartime. Truly ... still Awesome !
These always grap attention at airshows ... particulary in the audible department ...WHOA ! :like
Some serious P&W powerplants on them wings !
Forever .. Goat Path
Dickc
Postaholic

Post by Dickc »

That airplane is "Nine O nine." The Collings Foundation B-17G. I have flown on her. It is a fun 1/2 hour ride for $425 dollars. You get a brief idea of how the guys in WWII felt on board those things WITHOUT any of the danger. Somewhere I have some pictures of this.
Pedro
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by Pedro »

My Grandfathers brother flew 25 missions in this B24 in WW2.....did his 25 missions, became a Nassau county cop, retired.....died of old age...

http://www.b24bestweb.com/racytomato2.htm
RENO
Whipping Post

Post by RENO »

Stopped by Rutland Airport to check these guys out last week. B17 and B24. Pretty cool! Heard the B24 was the last flying B24 in the world? Not sure. They were giving tours last weekend for a cost and my condo neighbor took the tour.
Attachments
pp1.gif
pp1.gif (422.76 KiB) Viewed 462 times
pp2.gif
pp2.gif (1.47 MiB) Viewed 462 times
Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Post by Dr. NO »

Only 3 reported airworthy in the US and many on display around the globe.

United States

Airworthy

B-24A (s/n 40-2366) Diamond Lil (formerly Ol' 927) is airworthy and owned by the Commemorative Air Force (B-24/B-29 Squadron) in Addison, Texas This B-24 is number 18 off the assembly line, and is one of a handful of surviving early-war aircraft.[11] Most notable about this aircraft is that it is the only surviving "A" model of the B-24, as the "A" was critically under-armed and under-armored. From the Commemorative Air Force's page on Diamond Lil, "On a training flight from Eagles Nest Airport, N.M., prior to its delivery to England, AM-927 experienced a landing accident. The damage was major enough that the aircraft had to be returned to San Diego for repairs. The plane was deleted from the order to be shipped to England and was converted to a transport aircraft. This was to be the prototype for the C-87 transport and AM-927 served as a flying test bed for further development of important B-24 features, such as modifying the control surfaces to help with lighter control forces for the pilots."[12] For this reason, Diamond Lil was spared from the slaughter in Europe. In 1971, she was painted in the colors of the 98th BG and given the name Diamond Lil. During 2006-2007 the aircraft was reconfigured back to her B-24A/LB-30B roots and was given the Ol 927 nose art. In April of 2012, she was renamed back to Diamond Lil. [13] The aircraft was involved in a nose-gear collapse upon landing at Charlotte-Douglas Airport in North Carolina on 26 May, 2012. Damage was minimal and none of the 16 aboard were injured.[14]
B-24J (s/n 44-44052) Witchcraft is airworthy and owned by the Collings Foundation in Stow, Massachusetts.[15]
B-24J (s/n 44-44272) Joe is airworthy (last flown in 1997) and owned by the Fantasy of Flight in Polk City, Florida.[16] When originally retired by the Indian Air Force this aircraft was donated to Lynn Garrison's collection.

On display (complete airframes)

B-24D (s/n 41-23908) is on display at the Hill Aerospace Museum in Ogden, Utah.[17]
B-24D (s/n 42-72843) Strawberry Bitch is on display at the National Museum of the United States Air Force in Wright-Patterson AFB, Dayton, Ohio.[18]
B-24M (s/n 44-41916) Shady Lady is on display at the Castle Air Museum in Castle Air Force Base, California.[19]
B-24J (s/n 44-44175) Bungay Buckaroo is on display at the Pima Air & Space Museum in Tucson, Arizona.[20]
B-24J (s/n 44-48781) Louisiana Belle II is on display at the Eighth Air Force Museum in Barksdale AFB, Louisiana.[21]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_su ... Liberators

Found another interesting airworthy thread on aircraft. ONE B29 is still flying. The 3 B24's but lots of B17's so it says, and many others.

http://www.johnweeks.com/b17active/index.html

Shut up and Ski!

RedRider
Postaholic

Post by RedRider »

Dr. NO wrote: Also, Name this aircraft leaving the Rutland Air Port.

Id like to name it SLUGGO
Go that way, really fast.
If something gets in your way, turn.

Shortski is the Supreme Master of the Universe!!