White Plains to Rutland Air Service?

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Bubba
Site Admin

White Plains to Rutland Air Service?

Post by Bubba »

http://www.lohud.com/story/news/local/w ... /28534669/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Airline plans Westchester-Vermont flights

Associated Press 11:12 a.m. EDT June 5, 2015

Flights could start by end of summer. Boon for skiiers.

RUTLAND, Vt. – A charter airline could soon be offering flights between Westchester County Airport and Rutland's regional airport.

The Rutland Herald reports Altius, a charter airline based in Syracuse, New York, has applied to the U.S. Department of Transportation to establish regular passenger routes to the area.

The airline hopes to start with flights between the Rutland Southern Vermont Regional Airport in Clarendon and White Plains on nine-passenger, single-engine planes.

Altius Managing Director Toni Drummond says the company is in its planning stages and could possibly have the route running by the end of summer.

Rutland Region Chamber of Commerce Vice President Thomas Donahue said the route would be a welcome addition. Donahue says the airline would help make Rutland more accessible to New Yorkers for business and skiing.

There was no immediate word on cost.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
tyrolean_skier
Signature Poster

Re: White Plains to Rutland Air Service?

Post by tyrolean_skier »

Bubba wrote:http://www.lohud.com/story/news/local/w ... /28534669/

Airline plans Westchester-Vermont flights

Associated Press 11:12 a.m. EDT June 5, 2015

Flights could start by end of summer. Boon for skiiers.

RUTLAND, Vt. – A charter airline could soon be offering flights between Westchester County Airport and Rutland's regional airport.

The Rutland Herald reports Altius, a charter airline based in Syracuse, New York, has applied to the U.S. Department of Transportation to establish regular passenger routes to the area.

The airline hopes to start with flights between the Rutland Southern Vermont Regional Airport in Clarendon and White Plains on nine-passenger, single-engine planes.

Altius Managing Director Toni Drummond says the company is in its planning stages and could possibly have the route running by the end of summer.

Rutland Region Chamber of Commerce Vice President Thomas Donahue said the route would be a welcome addition. Donahue says the airline would help make Rutland more accessible to New Yorkers for business and skiing.

There was no immediate word on cost.
It would be better if it flew out of LaGuardia or Kennedy. You need to drive to get to the Westchester airport and most New Yorkers living in the city do not own a car and I don't think there is public transportation from NYC to the Westchester Airport.
HelmetCam
Postaholic

Post by HelmetCam »

tyrolean_skier wrote: It would be better if it flew out of LaGuardia or Kennedy. You need to drive to get to the Westchester airport and most New Yorkers living in the city do not own a car and I don't think there is public transportation from NYC to the Westchester Airport.
A single-engine charter service isn't trying to be the low-cost option. If you can't afford a car you're not flying charter airplanes.

This is akin to the charter services that fly to the cape in the summer. White Plains to Hyannis: $1000 round trip. More if you tack on the helicopter service from Manhattan to White Plains. These guys aren't taking the subway to the AirTrain.

What single engine plane is big enough for 9 passengers plus skis? A Cessna Grand Caravan? Not sure I want to fly into known icing conditions in a fully loaded caravan...
Midwest Skier
Blue Chatterbox

Post by Midwest Skier »

Cape Air has service from White Plains to Lebanon NH that is a little over $100 1-way on this size plane. It includes a shuttle van from midtown to White Planes that links up with the flight. You can get from midtown to Lebanon in less than 3 hours. I've taken it a few times in the last few years. If they had that type of arrangement to Rutland I would be interested.
Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Post by Dr. NO »

Possibly something like this single engine prop on their web site.

This only carries 8 or so it says.

http://flyaltius.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MUST STOP POSTING ! MUST STOP POSTING !

Shut up and Ski!

Why's Everybody Always Pickin on Me?
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

HelmetCam wrote:
tyrolean_skier wrote: It would be better if it flew out of LaGuardia or Kennedy. You need to drive to get to the Westchester airport and most New Yorkers living in the city do not own a car and I don't think there is public transportation from NYC to the Westchester Airport.
A single-engine charter service isn't trying to be the low-cost option. If you can't afford a car you're not flying charter airplanes.

This is akin to the charter services that fly to the cape in the summer. White Plains to Hyannis: $1000 round trip. More if you tack on the helicopter service from Manhattan to White Plains. These guys aren't taking the subway to the AirTrain.

What single engine plane is big enough for 9 passengers plus skis? A Cessna Grand Caravan? Not sure I want to fly into known icing conditions in a fully loaded caravan...

People living in the city can afford a car, they just choose not to have one.
freeski
Post Office

Post by freeski »

It would be cool to bring back ski trains from NY, Boston, but I guess these days are as over as the stage coach. I've often thought there is a market for small planes going up to the ski areas. Stowe, Sunday River, Sugarloaf and Killington all have small airports nearby. It's a long drive up there it's nice to see someone giving it a try. I hope they pull it off. :like
I Belong A Long Way From Here.
Southside_Bobby
Slalom Racer

Post by Southside_Bobby »

[quote="tyrolean_skier" It would be better if it flew out of LaGuardia or Kennedy. You need to drive to get to the Westchester airport and most New Yorkers living in the city do not own a car and I don't think there is public transportation from NYC to the Westchester Airport.[/quote]

Direct flight from Long Island Macarthur would be a sweet option for people in Suffolk County.
2014 - "A South Ridge trail is Pipe Dream. A South Ridge lift shouldn't be."
2019 - "A South Ridge trail is Pipe Dream. A South Ridge lift (operating midweek) shouldn't be."
2023 - Killington announces that the South Ridge lift will run five days a week.
2024 - Killington lied.
Dr Z
Powderhound

Post by Dr Z »

HelmetCam wrote:

:like :like

I am - entertainment for the lift line!
filejw
Green Skidder

Post by filejw »

Single engine airplane in the mountains maybe at night throw in some ice and snow ?No thanks.
machski
Black Carver

Post by machski »

filejw wrote:Single engine airplane in the mountains maybe at night throw in some ice and snow ?No thanks.
They are talking a PC-12. The thing has a P&W PT6A turbine engine (about as close to bulletproof as you can get), pressurized and fully known ice equipped. Depending on the model year, very advanced avionics as well allowing for LPV approaches into Rutland. Oh, and very low approach speeds because it is a single engine allowing for the lowest minimums into Rutland. Not a bad choice at all.
HelmetCam
Postaholic

Post by HelmetCam »

machski wrote:
filejw wrote:Single engine airplane in the mountains maybe at night throw in some ice and snow ?No thanks.
They are talking a PC-12. The thing has a P&W PT6A turbine engine (about as close to bulletproof as you can get), pressurized and fully known ice equipped. Depending on the model year, very advanced avionics as well allowing for LPV approaches into Rutland. Oh, and very low approach speeds because it is a single engine allowing for the lowest minimums into Rutland. Not a bad choice at all.
I'm not sure a PC-12 in a 9 passenger configuration can also carry 9 pairs of skis. That's why I was thinking Caravan.
filejw
Green Skidder

Post by filejw »

machski wrote:
I have been flying turbine engines for 40 years , no such thing as bulletproof.
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

Just curious, how does the prop deice work on the that? Because if there isn't dual heating from dual sources, and the pilot qualified to operate it, a prop deice failure in real icing conditions will render that airplane unable to maintain altitude in a fairly quick period of time. A friend of mine put a Ce-206 into the trees at Rutland with ice.

And at the end of the day you still have just one shaft, one prop, one pitch change mechanism, one burner can, one oil sump, one "engine on fire" annunciator.

I'm nervous about single engine IFR in icing, and so nervous about it at night I'd want a very high ceiling under the layer to melt it off, and get visual. Anyone care to guess the level of daylight on arrival on any given Friday in winter?

And has anyone looked at the approach?

http://155.178.201.160/d-tpp/1506/00968ILDY19.PDF" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ILS minimums of 1200 and 4? In the winter at Rutland? And how often is the wind out of the south in the winter? Hahahahahahahahahah.

None of this means you can't do it, of course you can. You just can't do it every weekend.

I smell an aircraft owner that wants the tax deductions a 135 operation delivers over a purely personal airplane. He won't care if the flight is frequently canceled.
filejw
Green Skidder

Post by filejw »

MM ..prop anti ice is normally electric or glycol base fluid. All the other items are more than valid reasons to be very careful about single engine IFR and having a VFR base below you is a good idea. I'm not totally against SE IFR but restriction needed make scheduled service reliable are way to restrictive. This isn't like they are planning service from St Tomas to St Croix. Then again I maybe a bit conservative having flown 4 engine for the last 10 years... :roll: