Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

nancie2k
Slalom Racer

Post by nancie2k »

Geoff wrote:
nancie2k wrote:
Geoff wrote:
nancie2k wrote:my husband goes under the knife may 11 to get 2 ligaments reattached to his left shoulder. AND he is a lefty :shock:
i am still mending my broken bone by the wrist :evil:
3 week anniversary for that one.
at least my torn acl feels better :roll:
I had a ligament stapled back in my left shoulder from a tumble at Whistler in 1998. It just let go on me this winter so my shoulder is all wobbly again. The rehab from that sucked. It took 6 months to get full range of motion and 80% strength back.
oh no!!!! :shock:
are you going to do anything about it again??
did you keep up with strength workouts?
i am worried hubby won't be vigilant about pt :evil:
It doesn't have anything to do with strength. They staple the ligament back. After 7 years, it failed. I'm going to see how it behaves over the summer doing things like rowing and grinding winches on sail boats. I
stopped playing golf so I may be OK without having to get it repaired again. I already live without ACLs in either knee so I'm used to things not quite working right.
i thought it would be like the torn acl where you make the surrounding muscles stronger to minimize further damage.
it is better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it :)
kickstand
Blue Chatterbox

Re: Ligaments, I don't need no stinkin ligaments

Post by kickstand »

Stormchaser wrote:He tore every ligament in his right knee...MCL, ACL, LCL, meniscus (is there another one). I was surprised that 2 months later he was walking and able to play golf, but I guess he went right in for the surgery as his lower leg was basically flapping in the wind at that point.
did he get his PCL? THAT'S a tough one to tear. So is the LCL, so that must have been one heck of a fall.

2 months to get back golfing is pretty impressive, especially assuming he is a righty. Took me 3 from just an ACL, and I think the doc cleared me sooner because I'm a lefty - less stress on the right knee.
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

kickstand wrote:
Stormchaser wrote:He tore every ligament in his right knee...MCL, ACL, LCL, meniscus (is there another one). I was surprised that 2 months later he was walking and able to play golf, but I guess he went right in for the surgery as his lower leg was basically flapping in the wind at that point.
did he get his PCL? THAT'S a tough one to tear. So is the LCL, so that must have been one heck of a fall.

2 months to get back golfing is pretty impressive, especially assuming he is a righty. Took me 3 from just an ACL, and I think the doc cleared me sooner because I'm a lefty - less stress on the right knee.
Yesterday was his first day back out on the course. His doctor basicaly told him, go try it...be real gentle, swing easy...if it doesn't hurt by all means play. He wore a nasty brace, but said the only pain he felt was the brace pinching him when he swung.

I could have sworn he said he tore 5 ligaments, and 4 of them ended in CL.
ImageImageImageImage
kickstand
Blue Chatterbox

Post by kickstand »

Stormchaser wrote: Yesterday was his first day back out on the course. His doctor basicaly told him, go try it...be real gentle, swing easy...if it doesn't hurt by all means play. He wore a nasty brace, but said the only pain he felt was the brace pinching him when he swung.

there are 5 major things to tear in your knee - 4 ligaments (ACL, PCL, MCL, LCL) and the meniscus. He prolly got 'em all.

yeah, those braces are a pain. Still wear mine on the slopes. Never worn it golfing. He may be sore either hours after golfing or the day after. If he is, tell him to take Aleve (or something similar) *before* heading out. I found that works great. It's amazing to me he's even out there. Good for him....
MarkinNY
Black Carver

Post by MarkinNY »

Stormchaser wrote:
kickstand wrote:

Yesterday was his first day back out on the course. His doctor basicaly told him, go try it...be real gentle, swing easy...if it doesn't hurt by all means play. He wore a nasty brace, but said the only pain he felt was the brace pinching him when he swung.

Tell him to get a neoprene or poly/cotton "undersleeve" to wear under his brace. Makes the brace much more comfortable to wear and eliminates pinching.
whiteout
Wanted Poster

Post by whiteout »

Stormchaser wrote:I played golf last night with one of my buddies who went out to Tahoe a couple months ago. I found out he had a little spill while skiing at Kirkwood. Evidently he missed a turn dropping into a 50 degreee chute and fell, crazy somersaulting down the hill at high speed for about 1000 feet (I guess the ski patrollers saw him fall and eyeballed the distance). He tore every ligament in his right knee...MCL, ACL, LCL, meniscus (is there another one). I was surprised that 2 months later he was walking and able to play golf, but I guess he went right in for the surgery as his lower leg was basically flapping in the wind at that point. At least I wasn't skiing with him...I'm in double digits for knockouts this year.

4 strained MCL's
1 torn mensicus
3 dislocated shoulders with muscle tears
1 shattered pinky finger
1 broken back
2 back sprains
1 neck sprain
1 severely bruised tailbone (he had to sit on a donut for 3 weeks)

and that doesnt include my two high-ankle sprains, dislocted shoulder, or broken hand
wonder what your "track" record would be if you were a race car driver. not good.
double the powder and shorten the fuse!
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

whiteout wrote:
Stormchaser wrote:I played golf last night with one of my buddies who went out to Tahoe a couple months ago. I found out he had a little spill while skiing at Kirkwood. Evidently he missed a turn dropping into a 50 degreee chute and fell, crazy somersaulting down the hill at high speed for about 1000 feet (I guess the ski patrollers saw him fall and eyeballed the distance). He tore every ligament in his right knee...MCL, ACL, LCL, meniscus (is there another one). I was surprised that 2 months later he was walking and able to play golf, but I guess he went right in for the surgery as his lower leg was basically flapping in the wind at that point. At least I wasn't skiing with him...I'm in double digits for knockouts this year.

4 strained MCL's
1 torn mensicus
1 shattered pinky finger
1 broken back
2 back sprains
1 neck sprain

and that doesnt include my two high-ankle sprains, dislocted shoulder, or broken hand
wonder what your "track" record would be if you were a race car driver. not good.
Heh...race car drivers are always nudging each other off the track. All the aforementioned injuries were self inflicted. It's not like i skied up behind them and whacked em in the back of the legs with my pole so I could sneak past them. Can you imagine if people skied that way? A little hip check on the way by make sure they don't pass you on the way to the bottom of the hill...
ImageImageImageImage
wanderer7453
Bumper

Post by wanderer7453 »

4 strained MCL's
1 torn mensicus
1 shattered pinky finger
1 broken back
2 back sprains
1 neck sprain

I am in rehab for a torn MCL. They started ultrasound treatments that really seem to be helping alot. At this rate I may be back to normal in a couple weeks.