Trump Presidency

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
deadheadskier
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Re: Trump Presidency

Post by deadheadskier »

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/07/ ... ess-737517" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

What he meant was he “isn’t” giving farmers a bailout.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Liar liar pants on fire. We all knew it was coming .... well most of us. Just happy it wasn’t my TDS blurring my common sense!

https://www.cnn.com/2018/07/24/politics ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MarieM
Post Office

Post by MarieM »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote:Liar liar pants on fire. We all knew it was coming .... well most of us. Just happy it wasn’t my TDS blurring my common sense!
TDS is a great description for those that follow him blindly.

Good perspective here from Martha Raddatz regarding the wearying “fake news” cry.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... b825b5bae7" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
deadheadskier
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by deadheadskier »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote:
What he meant was he “isn’t” giving farmers a bailout.
I mean, they shouldn't want it right?
Attachments
FB_IMG_1532512997197.jpg
FB_IMG_1532512997197.jpg (75.14 KiB) Viewed 270 times
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

Antifa strikes again!!!

https://www.thedailybeast.com/trumps-st ... th-pickaxe" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I'M YELLING BECAUSE YOU DID SOMETHING COOL!" - Humpty Dumpty

"Kzone should bill you for the bandwidth you waste writing novels to try and prove a point, but end up just looking like a deranged narcissistic fool." - Deadheadskier at madhatter

"The key is to not be lame, and know it, and not give a rat's @$$ what anybody thinks......that's real cool." - Highway Star http://goo.gl/xJxo34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I am one of the coolest people on the internet..." - Highway Star

"I have a tiny penis...." - C-Rex

XtremeJibber2001 - THE MAIN STREAM MEDIA HAS YOU COMPLETELY HYPNOTIZED. PLEASE WAKE UP AND LEARN HOW TO FILTER REALITY FROM BS NARRATIVES.

"Your life is only interesting when you capture the best, fakest, most curated split second version." - Team Robot regarding Instagram posters
Coydog
Guru Poster

Post by Coydog »

Nice to see $12B of bailouts extended to midwestern farmers caught up in one of our country’s most tragic national disasters – the Gump Presidency. Bet those farmers are exhausted from all the winning.

Kpdemello
Tree Psycho

Post by Kpdemello »

You know in all fairness I think Trump's idea of trying to level the playing field in international trade is a good one. The problem is his combative style and inability to work with our neighbors collaboratively. Instead he treats it like he's running a business and they are competitors that he can beat, but that's not how diplomacy works. To make matters worse, he thinks he knows what he's doing when in fact he's incredibly inexperienced and won't listen to his advisors.

Look I hope he wins this trade war and we get a better deal on overseas trade, but if something doesn't happen soon he could very well plunge us into a recession. This $12 billion handout is a terrible idea and a band aid for all the damage he's already starting to do. It's a drop in the bucket and won't be enough.
Highway Star
Level 10K poster

Post by Highway Star »

Kpdemello wrote:You know in all fairness I think Trump's idea of trying to level the playing field in international trade is a good one. The problem is his combative style and inability to work with our neighbors collaboratively. Instead he treats it like he's running a business and they are competitors that he can beat, but that's not how diplomacy works. To make matters worse, he thinks he knows what he's doing when in fact he's incredibly inexperienced and won't listen to his advisors.

Look I hope he wins this trade war and we get a better deal on overseas trade, but if something doesn't happen soon he could very well plunge us into a recession. This $12 billion handout is a terrible idea and a band aid for all the damage he's already starting to do. It's a drop in the bucket and won't be enough.

It's downright amazing that you've learned how to type with your ass.
"I'M YELLING BECAUSE YOU DID SOMETHING COOL!" - Humpty Dumpty

"Kzone should bill you for the bandwidth you waste writing novels to try and prove a point, but end up just looking like a deranged narcissistic fool." - Deadheadskier at madhatter

"The key is to not be lame, and know it, and not give a rat's @$$ what anybody thinks......that's real cool." - Highway Star http://goo.gl/xJxo34" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I am one of the coolest people on the internet..." - Highway Star

"I have a tiny penis...." - C-Rex

XtremeJibber2001 - THE MAIN STREAM MEDIA HAS YOU COMPLETELY HYPNOTIZED. PLEASE WAKE UP AND LEARN HOW TO FILTER REALITY FROM BS NARRATIVES.

"Your life is only interesting when you capture the best, fakest, most curated split second version." - Team Robot regarding Instagram posters
Kpdemello
Tree Psycho

Post by Kpdemello »

Hi HighwayStar! Love you too! :seeya
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

“Several of President Trump’s senior economic advisers believe he plans to push forward with 25 percent tariffs on close to $200 billion in foreign-made automobiles later this year, three people briefed on internal discussions said.”
Kpdemello
Tree Psycho

Post by Kpdemello »

So Trump announced that Europe made concessions, but I can't actually find out what they are and I'm not dumb enough to take Trump's word on anything.

It looks to me like the only thing Europe agreed to was to work toward zero tariffs - an excellent start, for which I give Trump credit - and an agreement not to impose further tariffs, which is also nice. Sounds like Trump is also dropping tariffs on steel and aluminum, and they are going to keep talking and maybe talk about reforming the WTO. All great.

What concessions did Europe make? If any?

Another question - why couldn't the orange one have started with the talking instead of with the tariffs?

Edit: soybeans? Is that the concession, EU agreed to eat more U.S. soybeans? How does that even work, since the EU can't force private companies to buy more U.S. soybeans (can they)?
Last edited by Kpdemello on Jul 26th, '18, 05:55, edited 1 time in total.
Kpdemello
Tree Psycho

Post by Kpdemello »

Also, looks like Trump may have (unwittingly) helped secure a trade deal between Europe and Japan:

https://qz.com/1329546/eu-japan-signing ... ting-help/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Unfortunately, the U.S. isn't part of it. Maybe Europe and Japan will let us in, though? A free trade zone with EU and Japan would be bigley huge, but I fear that this was done as a hedge against the orange one's aggressive trade war rhetoric to allow the EU to negotiate from a position of strength. We'll see if Trump can swing the art of the deal with these countries.

I'll say that if he does get a trade deal done, a legitimate, real trade deal, it's going to help the economy so much that it'll be hard to see him lose in 2020.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Kpdemello wrote:So Trump announced that Europe made concessions, but I can't actually find out what they are and I'm not dumb enough to take Trump's word on anything.

It looks to me like the only thing Europe agreed to was to work toward zero tariffs - an excellent start, for which I give Trump credit - and an agreement not to impose further tariffs, which is also nice. Sounds like Trump is also dropping tariffs on steel and aluminum, and they are going to keep talking and maybe talk about reforming the WTO. All great.

What concessions did Europe make? If any?

Another question - why couldn't the orange one have started with the talking instead of with the tariffs?

Edit: soybeans? Is that the concession, EU agreed to eat more U.S. soybeans? How does that even work, since the EU can't force private companies to buy more U.S. soybeans (can they)?
Steel and aluminum tariffs remain in place for now, at least according to what I've read.

Argument has never been against goals, it's been against strategy and tactics. EU decided they didn't want to "out stupid" Trump.

As I said when this started out, Trump would bluster and bully, then take a minor concession and declare victory.

Tofu prices to remain stable for the time being.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

Kpdemello wrote: Another question - why couldn't the orange one have started with the talking instead of with the tariffs?
Because talking got us where we are now.
Bubba wrote: As I said when this started out, Trump would bluster and bully, then take a minor concession and declare victory.
4.1% GDP last quarter. Goal of zero tariffs. Parity for US auto sales in Europe. Time for you to define what a "minor concession" is.