Trump Presidency

Anything and Everything political, express your view, but play nice
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Re: Trump Presidency

Post by XtremeJibber2001 »

Kpdemello wrote:That's not what I read. What I read is that there are security perimeters guarded by secret service, and some fencing here and there, but no 10 foot wall.

This is not someone just having a slightly different perspective. This is someone literally making stuff up and passing it on as fact.
The Obama's do have a 'wall' ... it's an 8.5' wall they installed.

Who cares? This is a red herring. It's ridiculous to spend this kind of money on 'a wall'. The ROI, when you consider TCO, of the wall is paltry. It's 2019, there's plenty we can do in a more cost effective manner with technology. Not to mention the majority of people overstaying VISAs and staying here illegally are trending away from the physical borders and come through our airports.

Kpdemello
Tree Psycho

Post by Kpdemello »

XtremeJibber2001 wrote:The Obama's do have a 'wall' ... it's an 8.5' wall they installed.

Who cares? This is a red herring.
Well, the point is that Trump lies constantly to try to sell his agenda. That's not a red herring to me. If the wall Trump's talking about is the wall you have a photo of, it's even more ridiculous because that's obviously a decorative wall for aesthetic purposes and not for security, and it's not 10 feet as Trump claimed.

Okay, I agree that this is a sort of trivial thing, but it's far from the only thing he's lied about on this issue. When Trump asks Congress for something, claims that it is needed for border security, and then he lies to the public to sell the idea, that's a huge problem to me.
SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Post by SnoBrdr »

Kpdemello wrote:
XtremeJibber2001 wrote:The Obama's do have a 'wall' ... it's an 8.5' wall they installed.

Who cares? This is a red herring.
Well, the point is that Trump lies constantly to try to sell his agenda. That's not a red herring to me. If the wall Trump's talking about is the wall you have a photo of, it's even more ridiculous because that's obviously a decorative wall for aesthetic purposes and not for security, and it's not 10 feet as Trump claimed.

Okay, I agree that this is a sort of trivial thing, but it's far from the only thing he's lied about on this issue. When Trump asks Congress for something, claims that it is needed for border security, and then he lies to the public to sell the idea, that's a huge problem to me.
They all lie.

Remember, If you like your doctor you can keep your dr.

I did not have sex with that woman.

WMDs.
Beware of fools & trolls here, they lurk everywhere.
Kpdemello
Tree Psycho

Post by Kpdemello »

SnoBrdr wrote:They all lie.

Remember, If you like your doctor you can keep your dr.

I did not have sex with that woman.

WMDs.
Yep. But not like this guy. This guy lies more often than anyone previously and he lies about things that are easily verifiable, like the wall around Obama's house. This guy lies so much that you literally have to fact check everything he says before you accept any of it.

BTW, they all deserve criticism for their lies. I won't ignore or overlook any of them.
MarieM
Post Office

Post by MarieM »

Kpdemello wrote:
Well, the point is that Trump lies constantly to try to sell his agenda.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/07/politics ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Headline: "All 4 living ex-presidents indicate Trump's claim that 'some of' them agree with him about the wall isn't true"

Why does the "fake news" say "isn't true?" Why don't they call a spade a spade and use the word "lie?"
Kpdemello
Tree Psycho

Post by Kpdemello »

I don't even get it. Why say something that is so easy to disprove? How does it help his cause? It just makes him look like a fool, or worse, someone with mental illness.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Kpdemello wrote:I don't even get it. Why say something that is so easy to disprove? How does it help his cause? It just makes him look like a fool, or worse, someone with mental illness.
Distraction ... no one is talking about the silliness of the wall, only his lies.
Kpdemello
Tree Psycho

Post by Kpdemello »

The great dealmaker at work:
"Unfortunately, the President just got up and walked out," Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer said. "He asked Speaker (Nancy) Pelosi, 'Will you agree to my wall?' She said no. And he just got up and said, 'Then we have nothing to discuss,' and he just walked out. Again, we saw a temper tantrum because he couldn't get his way, and he just walked out of the meeting."
https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2019/01/09/poli ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Childish and incompetent.
Dickc
Postaholic

Post by Dickc »

Kpdemello wrote:The great dealmaker at work:
"Unfortunately, the President just got up and walked out," Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer said. "He asked Speaker (Nancy) Pelosi, 'Will you agree to my wall?' She said no. And he just got up and said, 'Then we have nothing to discuss,' and he just walked out. Again, we saw a temper tantrum because he couldn't get his way, and he just walked out of the meeting."
https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2019/01/09/poli ... index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Childish and incompetent.
The meeting was supposed to discuss any deal that got some wall funding and the Dems said THAT IS NOT HAPPENING. Why WOULDN'T he walk out?
Kpdemello
Tree Psycho

Post by Kpdemello »

Oh, I don't know, maybe make a compromise proposal instead of an unqualified demand? Kind of like an actual negotiation?

To be fair, I think the Democrats are being a-holes, too. They are purposely goading Trump. But by walking out, Trump plays into their hands and looks like he's holding the government hostage to try to get his demands.

Meanwhile, he's continuing to lose support. I just read that 8 Republican congressmen are now on board with the Democrats to reopen the government. If that keeps happening they'll be able to override his veto - how embarrassing would that be?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

Trump is using his go-to negotiating tactics. They’re not working. - The Washington Post
https://apple.news/AvYksygTcSter7WNtQRrAMQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

Bubba wrote:Trump is using his go-to negotiating tactics. They’re not working. - The Washington Post
https://apple.news/AvYksygTcSter7WNtQRrAMQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Saw a quote last night that went something like ... the shutdown/wall situation illustrates Trump’s uncanny ability to dissuade people from his views. As time goes on, people increasingly disapprove of the shutdown and blame Trump (this wasn't always the case).

Anyway, Trump is just 4 points away from the highest disapproval rating of his presidency ... so we have that!

EDIT: Oh and the shutdown is within days of becoming the longest on record. That's some winning right there!
Kpdemello
Tree Psycho

Post by Kpdemello »

Just as a general proposition, I think it's wildly unfair to withhold funding for completely unrelated government activities just to try to build leverage to get a particular project funded. The IRS, Military, FDA, EPA, etc all have sh*t to do and those workers need to get paid. You can't get Congress to agree to fund your wall? Too bad. Maybe find a way to build political support or give them something they want in return.

I think most reasonable people would agree that it's unreasonable for necessary government agencies that have nothing to do with this wall to be shut down purely for political leverage.
XtremeJibber2001
Signature Poster

He’s simply holding the government hostage.
brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

Wally's actually going to take the National Emergancy path :roll:
Too bad the emergency he is targeting is the wrong one :lol:

Feb 7th rat testimony may be quite interesting :like

:seeya
Forever .. Goat Path