Still no Under 30's Pass = Goodbye Killington

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

brownman
Postinator

Re: Still no Under 30's Pass = Goodbye Killington

Post by brownman »

Big Bob wrote:Back when I was your age there wasn't any low priced passes and season passes were all over $1000, so stop wining and set your financial priorities. Your also probably making 3x what I made when you got out of school.
Hey yeah it was tough as a youngster with the ski bug .. trying to scrape up enuf dough to get some lift access and maybe wreck a pair of Stratos on some gnarly gnarl .. or trying to figure out how to qualify to buy a junior ticket. We got lucky on that lots of times in So VT where the ticket checkers were mainly Hildas .. total blockheads.
Heck .. Even $20 then was way high :wink:

Skiing can be expensive. We've all faced the choices on a value proposition. Maybe gregnye .. you should apply yourself with that degree toward some type of career. You might get lucky. For now ., enjoy Mt Snow.

:Toast
Forever .. Goat Path
ME2VTSkier
Powderhound
Location: Aroostook County ME, Plymouth VT, Block Island RI, Clarksville OH, Ocala FL

Post by ME2VTSkier »

Big Bob wrote:Back when I was your age there wasn't any low priced passes and season passes were all over $1000, so stop wining and set your financial priorities. Your also probably making 3x what I made when you got out of school.
Yeah, no sympathy here either. I don't think $649 is overpriced at all for Killington, in your age bracket. As far as I'm concerned once out of college, everyone should be paying the "Adult" rate. I know I certainly had more disposable income back then, than I did once I married, had kids, bought home... e.c.t.....
Dr. NO
Signature Poster

Post by Dr. NO »

Eh, try learning to ski on rented equipment ($3.50 / weekend, and the pay of a AF Staff Sargent. A good weekend was driving from Cheyenne past Laramie and up the Snowy Range. Discount tickets for military was $4.00 or something like that. Steam Boat was a whopping $8.00 / day for Military. My pay check covered my rent and maybe 2 to 4 days of skiing. Didn't know they had discounted tickets while back in college but only skied 8 days in that 4 years.
MUST STOP POSTING ! MUST STOP POSTING !

Shut up and Ski!

Why's Everybody Always Pickin on Me?
deadheadskier
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by deadheadskier »

I think many of you are missing the point. Skiing is the least affordable for most people in their 20s. Many have significant debt coming out of school or perhaps they are trying to start their own business and saving towards that. There's also saving towards buying a home. Trying to do these things on an early career salary + continue to participate in skiing is difficult to do. If you have kids at that age, forget about it. Daycare for a couple of kids can cost as much as as a mortgage.

I've got dozens of friends from college who I skied with constantly back then who no longer ski. They did sporadically for a few years after graduating, but about 75% of my college ski buddies left the sport for good by their late 20s. Now not only do they no longer ski, but they have kids who don't ski either.

The industry recognizes that this age group is where they are losing a considerable amount of customers from. The under 30 passes are a reaction to this reality to try and keep these young people engaged in the sport.

Not saying every area should offer it, but it's a very good thing for our sport that many places do.

As for the comments about full price adults subsidizing other demographics? You are subsidizing cheap senior passes too. Many of you will be entering that price category soon. Hopefully enough of these skiers in their 20s stick around and become full price adult skiers to continue to subsidize those senior passes for you when you are on a fixed income and need the help.
SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Post by SnoBrdr »

deadheadskier wrote:I think many of you are missing the point. Skiing is the least affordable for most people in their 20s. Many have significant debt coming out of school or perhaps they are trying to start their own business and saving towards that. There's also saving towards buying a home. Trying to do these things on an early career salary + continue to participate in skiing is difficult to do. If you have kids at that age, forget about it. Daycare for a couple of kids can cost as much as as a mortgage.

I've got dozens of friends from college who I skied with constantly back then who no longer ski. They did sporadically for a few years after graduating, but about 75% of my college ski buddies left the sport for good by their late 20s. Now not only do they no longer ski, but they have kids who don't ski either.

The industry recognizes that this age group is where they are losing a considerable amount of customers from. The under 30 passes are a reaction to this reality to try and keep these young people engaged in the sport.

Not saying every area should offer it, but it's a very good thing for our sport that many places do.

As for the comments about full price adults subsidizing other demographics? You are subsidizing cheap senior passes too. Many of you will be entering that price category soon. Hopefully enough of these skiers in their 20s stick around and become full price adult skiers to continue to subsidize those senior passes for you when you are on a fixed income and need the help.
First, to the Senior pass, I paid full price for over 20 years, I think we can call the Senior pass even.

If you can't afford it, you don't do it. It's all about choices.

I had school loans, a mortgage, a car payment and all the rest but I was able to find the $$ to do what I felt was important to me.

They already offer the college pass, which this individual appears to have taken full advantage of.

It just more of wanting to be taken care of by others.

It's now his turn to subsidize others.
Beware of fools & trolls here, they lurk everywhere.
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

Do some of you actually believe Killington subsidizes some people at the expense of others? I suppose you also believe the first class passengers on a plane are "subsidizing" those in coach? That's not how it works. It's all about maximizing yield. So yeah, some people pay more than others. Old folk pay less because if you charge them full freight, you'll get fewer of them. You pick a price point where quantity of people times price per person is a maximum. Same with kids. Same with 20 somethings. Nobody's subsidizing anyone else. It's actually a pretty complicated process, and a bit of an inexact science when you start drilling down into some of the details. Your demographic wants a cheaper price? Prove to them they'll make more money by changing their approach, don't whine about how your entitled to a discount for whatever snowflake reason you choose to believe.
SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Post by SnoBrdr »

rogman wrote:Do some of you actually believe Killington subsidizes some people at the expense of others? I suppose you also believe the first class passengers on a plane are "subsidizing" those in coach? That's not how it works. It's all about maximizing yield. So yeah, some people pay more than others. Old folk pay less because if you charge them full freight, you'll get fewer of them. You pick a price point where quantity of people times price per person is a maximum. Same with kids. Same with 20 somethings. Nobody's subsidizing anyone else. It's actually a pretty complicated process, and a bit of an inexact science when you start drilling down into some of the details. Your demographic wants a cheaper price? Prove to them they'll make more money by changing their approach, don't whine about how your entitled to a discount for whatever snowflake reason you choose to believe.
Call it whatever you want.

If one group is paying more so that another can pay less, they are being subsidized.

It's proven every day with the ACA.
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

rogman wrote:Do some of you actually believe Killington subsidizes some people at the expense of others? I suppose you also believe the first class passengers on a plane are "subsidizing" those in coach? That's not how it works. It's all about maximizing yield.
This is probably a close comparison, with a few differences.

The first class passenger gets more leg room (Different seat pitch) and more width (2 vs 3 seats). I bet it varies by airline and route, but my gut tells me the $ per floor square foot is higher for first class than coach. If the airline could sell an entire planeful of first class every flight, there would be no coach seats. They can't, so coach fills the rest of the seats. The ski analogy would be a first class ski pass gets extra room, you would get a max load of only 5 people per gondola or 3 people per chair with your first class pass.

In skiing, we all get the same lift and slopes, ie the same product. This is closer to the fact that you paid $200 for your seat 6 months in advance and the person next to you paid $350 last week. Is that $350 person subsidizing you? Yes, it's yield management, but at the end of the day the revenue for the flight needs to pay the gas and salaries. The fact that some are willing to pay more for the short notice purchase doesn't invalidate the conclusion that they are carrying more freight than you are. I think the $124 walk up rate most certainly "subsidizes" our $940 pass rate. If the full boat walk ups left the planet, our season pass rates would most certainly have to go up. That's a subsidy in my book, it just isn't government regulated, it's market regulated. Maximizing yield means charging one segment more for a perceived advantage, and that allows you to compete better. (Because your competition is doing their best to do the same thing) We get to choose if we want to pay more for that perceived advantage, but that doesn't mean that by doing so there isn't someone carrying more freight.

The definition of subsidy is to pay [or reduce] part of the cost of producing (something) to reduce prices for the buyer.

Where this comparison fails is you cannot change your age. In fact, the law prohibits age discrimination. I'm not sure how this industry practice is exempt, other than maybe it just hasn't been tested in court.

The reason has merit; attract and forge a loyalty to a demographic that hasn't reached their full earning potential. But we all make a myriad of choices in career, (schoolteacher vs lawyer) location (NYC vs northern Berkshires) family lifestyle (single vs DINKs vs 5 kids) house size, car driven, cost of our jeans and cut of our steak. I'm not sure how you're going to dice that up to come up with the price of a pass. And what of the 25 year old that didn't go to college, became a plumbing contractor, and now makes more than his college degreed contemporary, plus the plumber has no debt? Do we charge non college non tuition indebted people more? Again, you can keep dicing this ad infinitum.

In my view, outside of any age discrimination claim, the resort gets to charge what they want. If they want to charge double for skiers vs snowboarders, or for hats vs helmets, or charge by the vertical foot skied, that's up to them. Pay the tab or go elsewhere. It's not like the price of a burger is exactly the same everywhere up and down the access road.
JJR
Green Skidder

Post by JJR »

We all have to make a decision. I am a senior, and the senior pass is cheaper at other mountains. During the week there are a lot of seniors skiing K. I guess we all decided to pay the difference and ski here. I am sure K has studied the market, looks at what they have to offer, and what other mountains have to offer. Sorry, but, I don't think your leaving will impact K a all.
Kpdemello
Tree Psycho

Post by Kpdemello »

No sympathy from me either. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

Cheap passes make for crowded mountains. I'd rather the pass be more expensive. I can afford it. I work hard to be able to ski the "elite" mountain. I also suspect you'll be back once you can afford it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
K42
Green Skidder

Post by K42 »

I feel for u, all these old heads don’t understand the struggle Their parents gave them everything their whole life.Keep grinding.
SnoBrdr
Whipping Post

Post by SnoBrdr »

K42 wrote:I feel for u, all these old heads don’t understand the struggle Their parents gave them everything their whole life.Keep grinding.
No one gave me anything.

Nice that you paint all with a broad brush.
Big Bob
Postinator

Post by Big Bob »

I am sure the majority of the senior passholders are skiing mostly midweek to avoid the weekend crowds, Just go to the Peak Lodge around 11 and look at who is sitting at the bar spending money. That cash flow would not be there without the senior pass. Most of them are K Zoners!
2 hours and 10-minute drive to K
2023/2024 Ski Days: 33 days for the season
Killington: 12/14, 1/4, 1/9, 1/11, 1/17, 1/23, 1/31, 2/5, 2/20, 2/26, 3/4, 3/20, 3/25, 4/2, 4/5
Loon: 11/29, 12/8, 12/21, 1/8, 1/19, 1/22,1/30, 2/7, 2/15, 3/1, 3/8, 3/22, 4/14
Sunday River: 3/12
Sugarloaf: 3/13, 3/14
Cannon:1/15, 2/22
Nikoli
Poster Child Poster

Post by Nikoli »

Big Bob wrote:I am sure the majority of the senior passholders are skiing mostly midweek to avoid the weekend crowds, Just go to the Peak Lodge around 11 and look at who is sitting at the bar spending money. That cash flow would not be there without the senior pass. Most of them are K Zoners!
In the grand scheme of things it’s a pittance.
And the sea will grant each man new hope . . .
-Christopher Columbus
ME2VTSkier
Powderhound
Location: Aroostook County ME, Plymouth VT, Block Island RI, Clarksville OH, Ocala FL

Post by ME2VTSkier »

K42 wrote:I feel for u, all these old heads don’t understand the struggle Their parents gave them everything their whole life.Keep grinding.
That's funny! And the exact opposite of reality... Maybe that's why we don't want to see anything just handed out/given freely to the younger crowd. We had to fight and scratch for everything we've got, and appreciate it more for having to do so, and we expect others to have to go the same route as well. It's annoying to see those who want/have/get everything, and didn't have to do anything to get it!