Is The Old Lower Juggernaut Still Skiable?

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

NEChairlifts/Skiing
Green Skidder

Is The Old Lower Juggernaut Still Skiable?

Post by NEChairlifts/Skiing »

I was wondering if the old part of the jug between the bottom of bear and Great Beastern was still skiable(ish). That would be a cool adventure sometime. According to the trail map, it’s still within the resort boundaries. Someone build a house near the East mountain road there, but I could always dismount and walk.
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Re: Is The Old Lower Juggernaut Still Skiable?

Post by hillbangin »

NEChairlifts/Skiing wrote:I was wondering if the old part of the jug between the bottom of bear and Great Beastern was still skiable(ish). That would be a cool adventure sometime. According to the trail map, it’s still within the resort boundaries. Someone build a house near the East mountain road there, but I could always dismount and walk.
I was hoping you'd bring this Killington gem up.

Once a year we do make sure that we make the run from the peak to the creek. That's what some people call it anyway.

I just call it one of the greatest runs in Vermont.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

Still there. Some of it washed out after Irene, but I think they fixed it then closed it. Will take a bit of natural to cover the weeds, but it doesn't have a lot of pitch either, so there's that. You have to walk across the Bear Parking lot and cross the street to get to it. There use to be bridge until a truck took it out and Killington spent the insurance money on something else.
brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

No .. it's not likely skiable today .. but can't confirm anything on their facacta web conditions report :twisted:

:Toast
Forever .. Goat Path
NEChairlifts/Skiing
Green Skidder

hillbangin wrote:
NEChairlifts/Skiing wrote:I was wondering if the old part of the jug between the bottom of bear and Great Beastern was still skiable(ish). That would be a cool adventure sometime. According to the trail map, it’s still within the resort boundaries. Someone build a house near the East mountain road there, but I could always dismount and walk.

Once a year we do make sure that we make the run from the peak to the creek. That's what some people call it anyway.

So it still is doable? I'm used to skiing glades and stuff with grass, so it I could probably handle it.
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

Glades have this other ingredient called pitch.
newpylong1
Poster Child Poster

Post by newpylong1 »

NEChairlifts/Skiing wrote:
hillbangin wrote:

So it still is doable? I'm used to skiing glades and stuff with grass, so it I could probably handle it.
Picture walking on a snowmobile trail with pucker brush and saplings with skis on. Can you do it? Sure...
millerm277
Postaholic

Post by millerm277 »

hillbangin wrote:

The better question is how you feel about cross-country skiing (or hiking). Because it sure isn't alpine.
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

newpylong1 wrote:
hillbangin wrote:

Picture walking on a snowmobile trail with pucker brush and saplings with skis on. Can you do it? Sure...
:like :like
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
Stormchaser
Level 10K poster

Post by Stormchaser »

Pack a lunch. You'll be out there for a while.
ImageImageImageImage
ME2VTSkier
Powderhound
Location: Aroostook County ME, Plymouth VT, Block Island RI, Clarksville OH, Ocala FL

Post by ME2VTSkier »

It would almost be easier to follow the old version that went down to Northeast Passage.
NEChairlifts/Skiing
Green Skidder

ME2VTSkier wrote:It would almost be easier to follow the old version that went down to Northeast Passage.
Sure that may have a better pitch, but there's no way back from the bottom of Sunrise. And it involves rope ducking. Also it's been abandoned for much longer. So i would not do that.
NEChairlifts/Skiing
Green Skidder

You guys are all right, I didn't realize how flat it is. It would be better if the snow was packed down, but if nobody skis it that probably won't be the case. I wish K would reopen it (especially since we like to park at Skyeship whenever it's open). It's unlikely tho considering the property that has been built near it and the bridge was destroyed.
madhatter
Signature Poster

Post by madhatter »

ME2VTSkier wrote:It would almost be easier to follow the old version that went down to Northeast Passage.
Sure that may have a better pitch, but there's no way back from the bottom of Sunrise. And it involves rope ducking. Also it's been abandoned for much longer. So i would not do that.
some of that is actually pretty good...
mach es sehr schnell

'exponential reciprocation'- The practice of always giving back more than you take....
ME2VTSkier
Powderhound
Location: Aroostook County ME, Plymouth VT, Block Island RI, Clarksville OH, Ocala FL

Post by ME2VTSkier »

madhatter wrote:
some of that is actually pretty good...
...and I would imagine that Spike's Crew keeps a lot of it cleaned up for the snowmobile tours...