Covid-19 Rutland county outbreak

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Re: Covid-19 Rutland county outbreak

Post by hillbangin »

snoloco wrote:Sounds like several Mr/Mrs Locals Only in this thread. So I'll do the dirty work of bursting your bubble. If Killington is closed to out of staters, it will probably be closed to you too. The resort does not exist because of you and is totally dependent on out of state travel. Travel is not the problem now. Reckless behavior, like the party is. Your county by county restrictions have failed miserably if the goal was to actually keep people out from those areas, and guess what, your own residents are traveling to those areas too. Nativism, license plate xenophobia, and illusions of autarky will do nothing to decrease the spread of the virus.
Classes canceled today?

Someone stole your lunch?
Geoff
Whipping Post

Post by Geoff »

hillbangin wrote: Sep 10th, '20, 16:05
snoloco wrote:Sounds like several Mr/Mrs Locals Only in this thread. So I'll do the dirty work of bursting your bubble. If Killington is closed to out of staters, it will probably be closed to you too. The resort does not exist because of you and is totally dependent on out of state travel. Travel is not the problem now. Reckless behavior, like the party is. Your county by county restrictions have failed miserably if the goal was to actually keep people out from those areas, and guess what, your own residents are traveling to those areas too. Nativism, license plate xenophobia, and illusions of autarky will do nothing to decrease the spread of the virus.
Classes canceled today?

Someone stole your lunch?
It’s not a valid assertion. The problem was people violating the quarantine order. Vermont has such a low infection rate that it’s reasonable to drop your guard about masks. At my summer place in plague land, it would be irresponsible.

Assuming Vermont keeps the current quarantine policy in place, the state needs to put some teeth into it. Massachusetts has a $500 per day fine. If you bring your disease in and infect people, at least that level of fine would stop most of it. Most people won’t risk $1,500 per person to do a ski weekend in Vermont. I think a test with results within 3 days of arrival is more appropriate for most of the Northeast but there needs to be a stiff fine for violating the order.
moneygripp
Green Skidder

Post by moneygripp »

autarky
noun
au·​tar·​ky | \ ˈȯ-ˌtär-kē \
Definition of autarky
1 : SELF-SUFFICIENCY, INDEPENDENCE
specifically : national economic self-sufficiency and independence
2 : a policy of establishing a self-sufficient and independent national economy
snoloco
Tree Psycho

Post by snoloco »

Geoff wrote: Sep 10th, '20, 17:41 Assuming Vermont keeps the current quarantine policy in place, the state needs to put some teeth into it.
State travel bans are largely unenforceable because a state doesn't have border checkpoints or a border security agency. For a state to actually close their borders, you'd need to put a roadblock on every strip of pavement in and out of a state. New York where I'm from has banned travel from many states, but it's not widely enforced except at airports and lodging, and even there it's spotty from what I've heard.

As far as you and other locals wanting Vermont to step up enforcement, don't be complaining on here when every ski area in the state closes because they don't have enough business. Vail did that in Victoria, Australia when Melbourne went on lockdown. Their two resorts weren't required to close, but they shut down anyways because their clientele largely came from Melbourne. Just like the vast majority of visitors at Vermont ski resorts come from out of state.

Your state is not an island. It is an easy day trip or weekend trip for millions of people, and they are not going to voluntarily stay away so you can live in your maskless bubble, nor is the state going to attempt to close borders or enforce quarantines so you can do that. But they might close lodging, ski areas, and other tourist attractions to try and keep people out, which will of course all be closed to you too.
Geoff
Whipping Post

Post by Geoff »

snoloco wrote: Sep 10th, '20, 17:59
Geoff wrote: Sep 10th, '20, 17:41 Assuming Vermont keeps the current quarantine policy in place, the state needs to put some teeth into it.
State travel bans are largely unenforceable because a state doesn't have border checkpoints or a border security agency. For a state to actually close their borders, you'd need to put a roadblock on every strip of pavement in and out of a state. New York where I'm from has banned travel from many states, but it's not widely enforced except at airports and lodging, and even there it's spotty from what I've heard.

As far as you and other locals wanting Vermont to step up enforcement, don't be complaining on here when every ski area in the state closes because they don't have enough business. Vail did that in Victoria, Australia when Melbourne went on lockdown. Their two resorts weren't required to close, but they shut down anyways because their clientele largely came from Melbourne. Just like the vast majority of visitors at Vermont ski resorts come from out of state.

Your state is not an island. It is an easy day trip or weekend trip for millions of people, and they are not going to voluntarily stay away so you can live in your maskless bubble, nor is the state going to attempt to close borders or enforce quarantines so you can do that. But they might close lodging, ski areas, and other tourist attractions to try and keep people out, which will of course all be closed to you too.
Nonsense. You can order the hotels and ski resorts to provide the contact set of everyone passing through the door. Sign a form that you are aware of the order and comply with it. Massachusetts does that on inbound flights. With a $500/day fine, it gets people to test properly.
snoloco
Tree Psycho

Post by snoloco »

How do you expect ski areas to open if most of their customer base isn't allowed to come? Answer is they won't. Like it or not, Killington and every other resort in Vermont that's open right now is literally dependent on violators. Massachusetts doesn't have a tourism industry completely dependent on out of state visitors like Vermont. And it's impossible to ban day trippers.
ANGUS
Slalom Racer

Post by ANGUS »

I had to come up Saturday. Only got out at my destination to handle business. A quick drive to K1 to the a mess of a lodge. Then home again. Non stop. All I saw was CT, NY and NJ plates. Every car on 91 and up. I'd like to thank the special people from CT. In the nice Jeep. Ct plate." Sea life" for cutting me off on the exit 6 ramp Northbound. Oh and a special shout out to the woman with NY plates. In a black Mercedes suv. She was trying to mate with my pintle hitch. From 91 to Ravine road. If this is how VT is during social distancing. No thanks. I'm happy to stay home this winter.
skidogg
Poster Child Poster

Post by skidogg »

go get a life
fast is cool.
Faster is cooler. bring back the dis
RENO
Whipping Post

Post by RENO »

Skivt2 wrote: Sep 9th, '20, 20:02
RENO wrote: Sep 8th, '20, 19:31 Don't know what hostility people are talking about at K. Been up a couple times also. No problems. We don't ever go out to restaurants very often, but did hit a couple places. No problem. Just got back yesterday from our labor day trip.
Guess you don’t read Facebook much
Link please. I'm in facebook a little because it's such an angry shitshow every minute! I check out the Killington locals page every few days also.
Skivt2
Bumper

Post by Skivt2 »

If you read the Killington Locals+ page then you have seen a lot of it.
innkeeper
Beginner On Rentals

Post by innkeeper »

Geoff wrote: Sep 10th, '20, 19:30
snoloco wrote: Sep 10th, '20, 17:59

Nonsense. You can order the hotels and ski resorts to provide the contact set of everyone passing through the door. Sign a form that you are aware of the order and comply with it. Massachusetts does that on inbound flights. With a $500/day fine, it gets people to test properly.
Geoff : FYI : with regard to hotels being required to get guests to sign a form to have guests attest that they are in compliance with Vermont's restrictions.... it is already required...https://accd.vermont.gov/sites/accdnew/ ... -06-19.pdf. Hotels are not supposed to challenge the people signing the form....Our only responsibility is to present the form for the guest to review and sign. if they do not sign the form, we will not provide the potential guest with lodging. In reality, the only people who have not signed the form are the lawyers due to the phrase "Under the pains and penalties of perjury" on item number 6. Reservation systems are also allowed to put in place a checkbox with the potential guest making the same certifications electronically (which is how I presume AirBNB is handling the requirement).... but as regulations are changing week to week, checking a box weeks before arrival is pretty strange.... Difficult problem to solve. Killington is a tourist economy after all. And the resort would not exist for locals to enjoy if out of state travelers could not visit. While the restrictions are hurting the hospitality business...most of us still have our health so that's a good thing while we all wait for effective medical treatments to become available....
biged
Slalom Racer

Post by biged »

Out of curiosity what are the share houses doing this year? It would be a tragedy not seeing some of my friends who have been in houses for 30 years or more. Some of us tried to grow up. LOL
ski
Wanted Poster

Post by ski »

Between COVID and the new STR regulations, ski houses are F'd
biged wrote: Sep 11th, '20, 19:25 Out of curiosity what are the share houses doing this year? It would be a tragedy not seeing some of my friends who have been in houses for 30 years or more. Some of us tried to grow up. LOL
"Fare you well, fare you well
I love you more than words can tell"
Skivt2
Bumper

Post by Skivt2 »

ski wrote: Sep 12th, '20, 08:24 Between COVID and the new STR regulations, ski houses are F'd
biged wrote: Sep 11th, '20, 19:25 Out of curiosity what are the share houses doing this year? It would be a tragedy not seeing some of my friends who have been in houses for 30 years or more. Some of us tried to grow up. LOL
How are share houses short term rentals?
ski
Wanted Poster

Post by ski »

Skivt2 wrote: Sep 12th, '20, 12:32
How are share houses short term rentals?

Not sure if they count as STR, but there is certainly renewed scrutiny of the # of people per house/ bedroom as far as sewage is concerned
"Fare you well, fare you well
I love you more than words can tell"