expansion

Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

newpylong1
Poster Child Poster

Re: expansion

Post by newpylong1 »

It is. No one wants to walk the trail every hour, which is needed if it's really cold to keep shifting the guns.
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

It's one thing to continue to replace, repair, and upgrade existing coverage and infrastructure. It's quite another to pay for additional diesel, electricity and labor for additional terrain that adds to the snowmaking budget.

If skier visits don't grow significantly, how will the snowmaking budget grow significantly? Keep in mind labor just went up 25%, along with steep increases in energy prices that outpace the overall inflation rate considerably.
Big Bob
Postinator

Post by Big Bob »

Mister Moose wrote: Dec 1st, '21, 10:36 It's one thing to continue to replace, repair, and upgrade existing coverage and infrastructure. It's quite another to pay for additional diesel, electricity and labor for additional terrain that adds to the snowmaking budget.

If skier visits don't grow significantly, how will the snowmaking budget grow significantly? Keep in mind labor just went up 25%, along with steep increases in energy prices that outpace the overall inflation rate considerably.
Installation of automatic hydrants controlled remotely should cut down om labor costs and may improve efficiency which could help with energy costs.
2 hours and 10-minute drive to K
2023/2024 Ski Days: 33 days for the season
Killington: 12/14, 1/4, 1/9, 1/11, 1/17, 1/23, 1/31, 2/5, 2/20, 2/26, 3/4, 3/20, 3/25, 4/2, 4/5
Loon: 11/29, 12/8, 12/21, 1/8, 1/19, 1/22,1/30, 2/7, 2/15, 3/1, 3/8, 3/22, 4/14
Sunday River: 3/12
Sugarloaf: 3/13, 3/14
Cannon:1/15, 2/22
jimmywilson69
Poster Child Poster

Post by jimmywilson69 »

that helps in places where there are towers. Killington uses a lot of ground guns, especially early season.
2023-2024

Ski Visits in PA - 31

Ski Visits in VT -12

Ski Visits in NY - 1

Total Ski Visits 44

LR = Lunch Runs
snoloco
Tree Psycho

Post by snoloco »

The bottom of Superstar and the Snowshed Slope I believe got automated HDK towers for this season. Previously they had Snowlogic towers which were manually controlled.
newpylong1
Poster Child Poster

Post by newpylong1 »

They are manual hydrants.
Captain Hafski
Postaholic

Post by Captain Hafski »

Leave Conclusion alone. It grabs and holds onto the natural snow very well and is protected from the sun on the right side. This is one of the best natural snow trails on the mountain. Also, skiers/riders are able to get a good view of it from the triple to see what the cover is like.

Leave Home Stretch alone. It is a great and better, IMHO, option for getting down to Skyeship than Great Eastern. Blow it and it will just duplicate Great Eastern I'd also add this is a great trail for beginners and intermediates to be able to sample a natural terrain trail.

Upper Dream Maker: I could see this either way as it is one of my favorite trails. With that said, it does pretty well in it's natural state. Though a bit south facing, it is high in elevation.

Upper Downdraft: As I post yearly, leave this alone as well. It gets plenty of natural snow.

With all of these, especially Upper Downdraft, whatever gets blown early in the year will get r*in and be icy the rest of the season. That should not be the situation for a flagship trail, off the top, such as Downdraft.

I miss the natural Great Bear. But, I have to admit there are the natural North Star and Vagabond in the same area so am OK with it.

Fiddle: This is great in a good snow year without snowmaking but with it's lower elevation, gets picked clean quickly.

Not sure if it could be duplicated on any other trails, but you gotta love the left side snowmaking / right side natural of Needle's Eye !!
Goes to show, you don't never know
Watch each card you play, and play it slow
Don't you let that deal go down
Don't you let that deal go down

Looks like its going down no matter what I do !!!
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

I think they should run hoses into the woods from Chute and Great Bear and put down a base on Low Rider. Image
hillbangin
Wanted Poster

Post by hillbangin »

Mister Moose wrote:I think they should run hoses into the woods from Chute and Great Bear and put down a base on Low Rider. Image
How about the rock garden at the bottom of Julio?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

.. doing so might lead to a shop surplus of Ptex 8)
.. and would help lessen the supply chain challenges.

Western resorts' expansion is on 2 week hold pattern. Sad.

:Toast
Forever .. Goat Path
snoloco
Tree Psycho

Post by snoloco »

Ramshead tomorrow and Superstar on Saturday. The report claims that snowmaking will be on portions of Ramshead and Skye Peak next, so I guess we'll see exactly what that means tomorrow.
jimmywilson69
Poster Child Poster

Post by jimmywilson69 »

Probably bittersweet

Looks like They have a ways to go on Snwoshed after the warmup. Going to be cold so it'll fill in fast.
2023-2024

Ski Visits in PA - 31

Ski Visits in VT -12

Ski Visits in NY - 1

Total Ski Visits 44

LR = Lunch Runs
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

after all the whining, killington still leads the pack with 26 trails as of tomorrow and by saturday will blow everyone away. all the talk of GPM etc is moot as killington continues to back it up on the hill, never mind holding a world cup event and opening 2 weeks earlier than everyone else.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
throbster
Postaholic

Post by throbster »

skiadikt wrote: Dec 2nd, '21, 20:57 after all my incessant whining, killington still leads the pack with 26 trails as of tomorrow and by saturday will blow everyone away. all the talk of GPM etc is moot as killington continues to back it up on the hill, never mind holding a world cup event and opening 2 weeks earlier than everyone else.
Fixed it for you.
I get all the news I need from the weather report

- Simon and Garfunkel
millerm277
Postaholic

Post by millerm277 »

newpylong1 wrote: Nov 30th, '21, 22:13No one is over 10K GPM in the Northeast besides Killington.
Nitpicking, but Hunter's (pre-acquisition + North expansion, when they still had posted figures online) claimed 10,320gpm. I would assume it hasn't decreased.