FB_IMG_1651667187874.jpg
FB_IMG_1651667187874.jpg (59.12 KiB) Viewed 1431 times
asher2789
Double Diamond Skidder

Re: Supreme Court

Post by asher2789 »

daytripper wrote: May 3rd, '22, 19:55
asher2789 wrote: May 3rd, '22, 19:02
Dickc wrote: May 3rd, '22, 07:13 Early reports are claiming a leaked opinion from the court is overturning Row V Wade.

I really think that Republicans should be careful what they wish for as this might be a step too far. While I have always questioned the logic behind the original decision, its been law for 49 years. The fallout will be big and loud, and might be the spark the
Democrats need to hold onto the house and senate.
yeah, lets just VOTE HARDER!!!! that will show them!!!

the democrats had FOUR f*** DECADES to codify the right to abortion (or more generally, the right to privacy) but instead thought it would be better to use it as a fundraising call.

f*** the democrats. i and most people my age are completely done with so called "democracy" and are prepping for revolution. the government is not by us, it is not for us, it is merely a vehicle of gaslighting and manufactured consent.

thank god i am not a straight woman.
Thanks for the good laugh, I needed that! :banana: :seeya :dis
vOtE hArDeR!!! :dis
boston_e
Postaholic

Post by boston_e »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... 9JVkMdEcls

Of course respect for institutions is eroding Clarence. It is bound to happen when your wife uses her position and connections to push to overturn an election and when filthy republicans ram through corrupt activist judges.
Don't Killington Pico
throbster
Postaholic

Post by throbster »

boston_e wrote: May 11th, '22, 09:03 https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... 9JVkMdEcls

Of course respect for institutions is eroding Clarence. It is bound to happen when your wife uses her position and connections to push to overturn an election and when filthy republicans ram through corrupt activist judges.

Do you even hear yourself?
I get all the news I need from the weather report

- Simon and Garfunkel
deadheadskier
Post Traumatic Stress Syndrome

Post by deadheadskier »

throbster wrote: May 11th, '22, 09:47
boston_e wrote: May 11th, '22, 09:03 https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics ... 9JVkMdEcls

Do you even hear yourself?

Why do you think Gorsuch, Kavannaugh and Barrett were appointed? It was specifically to repeal RvW. That's the highest form of corrupt activism by judges of today.

The fact that Thomas hasn't resigned due to the behavior of his wife is appalling. She was fighting to destroy the very foundation of US democracy and there's no way in hell her husband didn't know about it.
throbster
Postaholic

Post by throbster »

Nah, they were nominated because they are constitutional originalists. Unlike the last three justices that Dems installed. They were chosen because they are women, er... Menstruating people, who are activist judges.

Do you live in an alternative universe?
I get all the news I need from the weather report

- Simon and Garfunkel
deadheadskier

Post by deadheadskier »

Did Fox News tell you that?

Alito, Thomas, Gorsuch, Kavannaugh and Barrett are five of the most unqualified SCJs ever appointed.

Not debatable.
Heywood jablowmee
Black Carver

Post by Heywood jablowmee »

Pass the popcorn......this is getting too funny
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

Not saying she isn't qualified, but Biden appointment was from a very small pool, in order to qualify you had to be a black and a woman. I have no problem with a black woman being on the supreme court but I think they should be looking for the best of everybody, not just the best of black women. Seems sexist and racist to me.
Bubba
Site Admin

Post by Bubba »

deadheadskier wrote: May 11th, '22, 12:35 Did Fox News tell you that?

Alito, Thomas, Gorsuch, Kavannaugh and Barrett are five of the most unqualified SCJs ever appointed.

Not debatable.
Thomas was appointed by Bush 1 more or less because he was Black. Gorsuch is pretty well qualified. Kavanaugh and Barrett? Not so much.
"Abandon hope all ye who enter here"

Killington Zone
You can checkout any time you like,
but you can never leave

"The test of a first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold two opposed ideas in mind at the same time and still retain the ability to function" =
F. Scott Fitzgerald

"There's nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
easyrider16

Post by easyrider16 »

I'm not sure any of these judges can be said to be underqualified. Kavanaugh was a federal circuit judge for 12 years before he was appointed. Before that he practiced law for 16 years. Before that he clerked for a federal appeals judge after graduating from Yale Law. He seems pretty qualified to me.

Thomas and Barrett both served as federal judges before being elevated to the Supreme Court. However, both only had a couple of years of experience on the bench. That said, Barrett graduated first in her class at Notre Dame Law School, and clerked for federal appeals judges. She was also had a distinguished 20 year legal career before being elevated to the bench which included being a law professor for a number of years. Thomas had a 15 year law career before being appointed as a judge, and that included serving as chair of the EEOC for like 8 years.

There aren't any judges on the Supreme Court that don't have the legal chops to be where they are. Even Kegan, arguably the least qualified, still had a distinguished 20 year career as a lawyer and law professor before being appointed. Could you find more qualified candidates? Sure, but these days Presidents are looking to appoint people as young as possible so their tenures last as long as possible. So you get people like Thomas and Barrett, who are a little less experienced.
Coydog
Guru Poster

Post by Coydog »

daytripper wrote: May 11th, '22, 13:50 Not saying she isn't qualified, but Biden appointment was from a very small pool, in order to qualify you had to be a black and a woman. I have no problem with a black woman being on the supreme court but I think they should be looking for the best of everybody, not just the best of black women. Seems sexist and racist to me.
Of the 115 justices who have served on SCOTUS, 108 have been white men. Yet somehow the appointment of an eminently qualified black woman is seen as sexist and racist. :roll:
boston_e
Postaholic

Post by boston_e »

easyrider16 wrote: May 11th, '22, 16:51 I'm not sure any of these judges can be said to be underqualified. Kavanaugh was a federal circuit judge for 12 years before he was appointed. Before that he practiced law for 16 years. Before that he clerked for a federal appeals judge after graduating from Yale Law. He seems pretty qualified to me.
Rapists are not qualified to be on the Supreme Court.
Don't Killington Pico
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

Coydog wrote: May 11th, '22, 19:01
daytripper wrote: May 11th, '22, 13:50 Not saying she isn't qualified, but Biden appointment was from a very small pool, in order to qualify you had to be a black and a woman. I have no problem with a black woman being on the supreme court but I think they should be looking for the best of everybody, not just the best of black women. Seems sexist and racist to me.
Of the 115 justices who have served on SCOTUS, 108 have been white men. Yet somehow the appointment of an eminently qualified black woman is seen as sexist and racist. :roll:
So your saying that being not black or female precludes you from getting the job isn't racist or sexist? Seems like the definition to me.
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

rac·ism
NOUN
prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism by an individual, community, or institution against a person or people on the basis of their membership in a particular racial or ethnic group

Coydog wrote: May 11th, '22, 19:01 Of the 115 justices who have served on SCOTUS, 108 have been white men. Yet somehow the appointment of an eminently qualified black woman is seen as sexist and racist. :roll:
The confirmation and appointment is not sexist or racist. The limited selection pool of only black and only female is definitively sexist and racist. It's just 'good' sexism and 'good' racism. We should be beyond that.

boston_e wrote: May 11th, '22, 19:21
easyrider16 wrote: May 11th, '22, 16:51 Kavanaugh was a federal circuit judge for 12 years before he was appointed. Before that he practiced law for 16 years. Before that he clerked for a federal appeals judge after graduating from Yale Law. He seems pretty qualified to me.
Rapists are not qualified to be on the Supreme Court.
Still subscribing to conspiracy theories of your own I see.