Communicate with fellow Zoners

Moderators: SkiDork, spanky, Bubba

Nikoli
Poster Child Poster

Re: 2022/23 K Tickets

Post by Nikoli »

ski wrote: Sep 18th, '22, 06:35
A_GUY wrote: Sep 17th, '22, 07:54
ski wrote: Sep 16th, '22, 15:41 Have any 365 people received the IKON code ? ?
Mine came in yesterday.
Thanks !! Just found mine in my SPAM folder . . . . lame :shock: :shock:
You can blame the big email providers for that. The current spam classification engines are broken. This is coming from someone who has to deal with those systems all the time and this problem specifically.
And the sea will grant each man new hope . . .
-Christopher Columbus
GlenPLake
Green Skidder

Post by GlenPLake »

“Vail Resorts announced Wednesday, Sept. 28, its plans for a future without physical lift tickets and passes with new technology that will allow guests to store their pass or lift ticket directly on their phone.

The new feature will be tested during the upcoming North American winter season, and is expected to roll out to guests in the 2023-24 season.

The innovation, Vail Resorts said in a news release, will eliminate the need to carry a plastic card, visit the ticket window, or wait to receive a pass or lift ticket in the mail. Guests will be able to buy their pass or lift ticket online, activate it on their phone, put their phone in their pocket and get scanned — hands-free — using Bluetooth Low Energy technology.”

https://www.summitdaily.com/news/vail-r ... he-slopes/
heiusa
Blue Chatterbox

Post by heiusa »

I see a lot of problems with that, for starters what happens when your battery dies? I guess no phone / no ski? Does that mean all your kids have to have a phone?
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

I leave my phone in the car while skiing.
boston_e
Postaholic

Post by boston_e »

I'd have to believe the phone would be an option, and they are not getting rid of cards altogether.
Don't Killington Pico
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

boston_e wrote: Sep 28th, '22, 21:20 I'd have to believe the phone would be an option, and they are not getting rid of cards altogether.
agree. it would be stupid to make it exclusive. for myself, on cold days if i stay out late, sometimes my battery dies. what happens then.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
spanky
Site Admin

2022/23 K Tickets

Post by spanky »

It is amazing how easily available the information is, yet so many people are quick to jump to baseless conclusions.

Right in the article:

“Even after the feature is launched, Vail Resorts will continue to make plastic cards available to any guests who cannot or do not want to use their phone as their pass or lift ticket. “
Never argue with idiots. They will bring you down to their level, then overwhelm you with their experience.

"I have noticed that when you post, you often say more about yourself than the topic you chose to speak about." -The Suit
daytripper
Wanted Poster

Post by daytripper »

spanky wrote: Sep 29th, '22, 08:08 It is amazing how easily available the information is, yet so many people are quick to jump to baseless conclusions.

Right in the article:

“Even after the feature is launched, Vail Resorts will continue to make plastic cards available to any guests who cannot or do not want to use their phone as their pass or lift ticket. “
That would mean you would have to actually read the article.
Southside_Bobby
Slalom Racer

Post by Southside_Bobby »

Just because the app is only an option, doesn't mean the option may not affect you, whether you use it or not.

Theoretically, there is nothing wrong with this as an option, assuming the scanning works as fast as scanning the cards.

In practice, I think it is going to cause problems on the lift lines. The point of RFID and gates is to make the experience more convenient for everyone. It isn't going to feel very convenient, when you're waiting behind someone who is having phone issues. Compared to cards only, there are going to be a lot more issues at the gates.

I doubt I would ever use this app instead of the card, partially because I do use other apps when skiing. Tracking, Sirius, Bluetooth helmet speakers. I can only imagine how much additional juice the ticket app will use. I'm not going to do that, when I can just keep a card in my jacket.

I hope Powdr doesn't do this. The only real convenience it offers is that you don't have to get a card mailed to you, or pick one up. At this point, it is really easy to get an RFID card from one of the machines at the lodges or parking lots.
2014 - "A South Ridge trail is Pipe Dream. A South Ridge lift shouldn't be."
2019 - "A South Ridge trail is Pipe Dream. A South Ridge lift (operating midweek) shouldn't be."
2023 - Killington announces that the South Ridge lift will run five days a week.
2024 - Killington lied.
skiadikt
Level 10K poster

Post by skiadikt »

Southside_Bobby wrote: Sep 29th, '22, 10:43 Just because the app is only an option, doesn't mean the option may not affect you, whether you use it or not.

Theoretically, there is nothing wrong with this as an option, assuming the scanning works as fast as scanning the cards.

In practice, I think it is going to cause problems on the lift lines. The point of RFID and gates is to make the experience more convenient for everyone. It isn't going to feel very convenient, when you're waiting behind someone who is having phone issues. Compared to cards only, there are going to be a lot more issues at the gates.

I doubt I would ever use this app instead of the card, partially because I do use other apps when skiing. Tracking, Sirius, Bluetooth helmet speakers. I can only imagine how much additional juice the ticket app will use. I'm not going to do that, when I can just keep a card in my jacket.

I hope Powdr doesn't do this. The only real convenience it offers is that you don't have to get a card mailed to you, or pick one up. At this point, it is really easy to get an RFID card from one of the machines at the lodges or parking lots.
my bad for not reading the actual article but assumed there was no way they could/would make it "phone only".

agree with your points southside. also doubt i'd use it. and yup you could get stuck on line behind someone having phone issues or whose battery dies which could be a frequent occurrence on a cold winter day. then do they send this person to a ticket window. what a pain. not often but my battery dies on occasion. they're just testing it this season so ultimately if they go w it, they can/will work out some of the kinks.
spoiled South American skiin' whore
twilkas
Tree Psycho

Post by twilkas »

any word on what a phone only K ticket will be post oct 20th?
Mister Moose
Level 10K poster

Post by Mister Moose »

In the past, once K tickets go off sale, they are no longer offered for the rest of the season. You then have on line advance purchase, Costco 4 packs (if offered), Express cards (not offered this year), 1/2 off deals from 365 pass friends, and the dreaded walk-up rate.

Mid January, Advance rates posted now are $110 midweek, $129 Fridays, $143 Saturdays, $129 Sundays. Holidays more. Clearly K tickets are a deal if you can buy a few months in advance.
Southside_Bobby
Slalom Racer

Post by Southside_Bobby »

Reminder: Today is the last day to buy them.
2014 - "A South Ridge trail is Pipe Dream. A South Ridge lift shouldn't be."
2019 - "A South Ridge trail is Pipe Dream. A South Ridge lift (operating midweek) shouldn't be."
2023 - Killington announces that the South Ridge lift will run five days a week.
2024 - Killington lied.
twilkas
Tree Psycho

Post by twilkas »

Mister Moose wrote: Oct 18th, '22, 19:23 In the past, once K tickets go off sale, they are no longer offered for the rest of the season. You then have on line advance purchase, Costco 4 packs (if offered), Express cards (not offered this year), 1/2 off deals from 365 pass friends, and the dreaded walk-up rate.

Mid January, Advance rates posted now are $110 midweek, $129 Fridays, $143 Saturdays, $129 Sundays. Holidays more. Clearly K tickets are a deal if you can buy a few months in advance.
Thanks MM, and Southside, for the reminder today is the last day. I'd likely slaughter my back skiing K, but miss the place so much that i may risk it.

What's the likelihood of someone here taking it off my hands if i know i won't be able to use it? i'd probably know that deeper into january.
They're transferable, just don't know how easy that is to transact.
ANGUS
Slalom Racer

Post by ANGUS »

Just bought some. Excellent x mas gifts. :Toast