Postinator

KBL and WC Prep Pix Nov 6, 2022

Post by rogman »

Took a walk to see for myself everything was coming along

Image]
10 Fan Guns

Towards UBar, Prep Work

Automated Snow Gun

1 of eight new Automated Snow Towers. "HKD Klik Manual" device operating water line, appears to be powered off the air line. Didn't see any electric. Can someone explain how it works if there is no electric power?

Prep for the tent over the UBar

Big Bob
Postinator

Re: KBL and WC Prep Pix Nov 6, 2022

Post by Big Bob »

Thanks for posting Rogman.
In the 9th picture in the sequence it looks like someone is finishing the concrete surface. It must of been placed today. Not much glass left to install!
Is the air used to blow the water out after it is shut down? I think these still have to be turned on by a person at the hydrant, I don't think these can be operated remotly.
2 hours and 10-minute drive to K
2023/2024 Ski Days: 33 days for the season
Killington: 12/14, 1/4, 1/9, 1/11, 1/17, 1/23, 1/31, 2/5, 2/20, 2/26, 3/4, 3/20, 3/25, 4/2, 4/5
Loon: 11/29, 12/8, 12/21, 1/8, 1/19, 1/22,1/30, 2/7, 2/15, 3/1, 3/8, 3/22, 4/14
Sunday River: 3/12
Sugarloaf: 3/13, 3/14
Cannon:1/15, 2/22
newpylong1
Poster Child Poster

Post by newpylong1 »

Those are not automated that is a Klik Manual, no electric, no comm line. Basically that lever on the water hydrant is also tapped into the air line with the small hydro like hose. The valve is then hard lined into where the mixing valve at the bottom of the gun would normally be. So that lever not only opens water and air but moxes them and controls snow quality. When you shut it off the hoses will auto drain. The system is called semi-auto because it simplifies the time to startup and shutdown the gun but still obviously must be hand operated.

The one to the left of it is a Demac Lenko semi-auto actuator. You run a comm line to the fan from it. On the fan gun panel you turn the gun on and it will open and close the water hydrant for you.
slatham
Green Skidder

Post by slatham »

Great pics. And what fire power - looks like more than I recall from prior years around the bottom. Plus the auto/semi auto should help max run time while it’s cold. Those Klick guns, although someone has to turn the knob, make start up way quicker from what I’ve seen here where they have a few. Just turn the knob to the appropriate setting (1-5) and move to next gun. Hope we see these in action tonight.
rogman
Postinator

Post by rogman »

Newpy, thanks for the explanation on the guns.

About the deck in the last picture (which is freakin' huge, btw), the guy on the far left was using a leaf blower to clean it. The deck is concrete (there appears to be plastic sheeting moved out of the way from the curing). My guess is that the first layer is complete and they are doing prep work for installing the plumbing for the ice melt system, and then another layer of concrete. Similar to the system for the UBar. Perhaps someone who knows more about how they're built could help out.

Hard to see in the pictures, but there is a walkway between the building and the brook down to the street. It has foam on it, so I'm guessing that's prior to installing the melt system and concrete overlay.

The exterior is gorgeous. Whatever else, POWDR hires good architects and construction teams that can execute. I can't even imagine what the inside's like, but the few pictures I've seen are sweet. Hope I can afford a beer there.

Edit: Another question regarding the snow making plumbing. The water line feeding Superstar seems small, particularly in comparison to the air line. Is it physically or technically possible that it gets fed from both ends, i.e., top and bottom? The number of guns they can run doesn't seem to match the pipe size.
newpylong1
Poster Child Poster

Post by newpylong1 »

slatham wrote: Nov 7th, '22, 08:59 Great pics. And what fire power - looks like more than I recall from prior years around the bottom. Plus the auto/semi auto should help max run time while it’s cold. Those Klick guns, although someone has to turn the knob, make start up way quicker from what I’ve seen here where they have a few. Just turn the knob to the appropriate setting (1-5) and move to next gun. Hope we see these in action tonight.
Klik is stage 1-4 and they won't run them while the fans are on at the base because it would cover them. When it cools down they will remove the fans and go to the towers, which will make a hell of a lot more snow cumulatively in cold temps when that string of 10 are all on.
Last edited by newpylong1 on Nov 7th, '22, 10:01, edited 1 time in total.
newpylong1
Poster Child Poster

Post by newpylong1 »

rogman wrote: Nov 7th, '22, 09:15 Newpy, thanks for the explanation on the guns.

About the deck in the last picture (which is freakin' huge, btw), the guy on the far left was using a leaf blower to clean it. The deck is concrete (there appears to be plastic sheeting moved out of the way from the curing). My guess is that the first layer is complete and they are doing prep work for installing the plumbing for the ice melt system, and then another layer of concrete. Similar to the system for the UBar. Perhaps someone who knows more about how they're built could help out.

Hard to see in the pictures, but there is a walkway between the building and the brook down to the street. It has foam on it, so I'm guessing that's prior to installing the melt system and concrete overlay.

The exterior is gorgeous. Whatever else, POWDR hires good architects and construction teams that can execute. I can't even imagine what the inside's like, but the few pictures I've seen are sweet. Hope I can afford a beer there.

Edit: Another question regarding the snow making plumbing. The water line feeding Superstar seems small, particularly in comparison to the air line. Is it physically or technically possible that it gets fed from both ends, i.e., top and bottom? The number of guns they can run doesn't seem to match the pipe size.
I had the same feeling when I saw the parking lot facing side of the building in your pictures - wow, they nailed it.

Yes, that water line is only 6" in your pictures and would not be able to supply enough volume at any velocity for what they draw on it for the entire trail. I have been unable to get an accurate mechanical drawing my assumption is Superstar is entirely top fed, meaning it has already tapered down to 6" at the bottom or it both top and bottom fed which would mean the bleed (end of the line) for that 6" can't be too far up. I will do some digging but if someone with a lot of energy happened to hike that pipeline it could be confirmed :)
slatham
Green Skidder

Post by slatham »

newpylong1 wrote: Nov 7th, '22, 09:55
slatham wrote: Nov 7th, '22, 08:59 Great pics. And what fire power - looks like more than I recall from prior years around the bottom. Plus the auto/semi auto should help max run time while it’s cold. Those Klick guns, although someone has to turn the knob, make start up way quicker from what I’ve seen here where they have a few. Just turn the knob to the appropriate setting (1-5) and move to next gun. Hope we see these in action tonight.
Klik is stage 1-4 and they won't run them while the fans are on at the base because it would cover them. When it cools down they will remove the fans and go to the towers, which will make a hell of a lot more snow cumulatively in cold temps when that string of 10 are all on.
So what is the difference in WB operating temp HKD vs fan? I’ve always thought fans can operate at higher temp due to using ambient air vs hot compressed air (even with after coolers it’s not <30). Or is that wrong?
skixc2
Black Carver

Post by skixc2 »

Those photos of the parking lot side look like an architectural rendering - wow! I had to check my eyes.
Raise 'Em Jay
newpylong1
Poster Child Poster

Post by newpylong1 »

slatham wrote: Nov 7th, '22, 11:21
newpylong1 wrote: Nov 7th, '22, 09:55
So what is the difference in WB operating temp HKD vs fan? I’ve always thought fans can operate at higher temp due to using ambient air vs hot compressed air (even with after coolers it’s not <30). Or is that wrong?
I dont have the specs on the old ass TAs that they have but those Demac Lenko Titans can make "skiiable" snow up to a 28 degree wet bulb. You wouldn't even think about turning those HKDs on over them until you're at a 22 degree WB (around when you can run Stage 3).

I think the ability of a fan to operate a little more marginally has more to do with the method of dispersal and thus providing longer hang and nucleation time. All compressors will heat the air, the onboard ones on the fans are no different. I bet you could fry an egg on the header pipe at one of their diesel pads before it hits the chillers.
slatham
Green Skidder

Post by slatham »

Thanks!
Big Bob
Postinator

Post by Big Bob »

Just above Launch Pad at the bottom of the upper Superstar Headwall the water line ends and has a drain on it. I would assume that section is feed from the top. On the lower side of Launchpad there is a small valve building, perhaps feeding the water line below Launch Pad?
2 hours and 10-minute drive to K
2023/2024 Ski Days: 33 days for the season
Killington: 12/14, 1/4, 1/9, 1/11, 1/17, 1/23, 1/31, 2/5, 2/20, 2/26, 3/4, 3/20, 3/25, 4/2, 4/5
Loon: 11/29, 12/8, 12/21, 1/8, 1/19, 1/22,1/30, 2/7, 2/15, 3/1, 3/8, 3/22, 4/14
Sunday River: 3/12
Sugarloaf: 3/13, 3/14
Cannon:1/15, 2/22
brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

.. less technical question .. (meteorologic challenges inspired)
how long a time period do they need to blanket Superstar with the customary 3 foot ice blanket required for FIS certification?

Merci ! :Toast
Forever .. Goat Path
slatham
Green Skidder

Post by slatham »

Lots of people have thrown out 100-150 hours depending upon how cold it is.
brownman
Postinator

Post by brownman »

.. what's Newpy say ?
His word is gold :like

:Toast
Forever .. Goat Path